Migrants

TedSimon

To those that think the UK government is not in any way responsible for the refugee crisis I suggest they have a read of this

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/jun/03/us-isis-syria-iraq?CMP=share_btn_fb

blair and now Cameron aided and supported the U.S. throughout.

and why do you all take the bait when an 2nd division team supporter spouts pish? 

US Foreign policy been behind every conflict since the 50s, aided and abetted by the usual suspects, and in this case Saudi

Nicola Stugeon writes to David Cameron saying Scotland would accept 10% of a possible 100,000 refugees.

Quite a way short of your 4 million.

please dont feed the troll. {EDIT: not rik!} His lack of even basic english suggests he may well be one of the illegal uneducated immigrants he so despises.

Wee Nicola's acceptance of 10% of asylum seekers in scotland would mean around 100 in a town the size of perth - whod even notice that?

Check out the size of the polish cemetary, that shows the level of compassion this country had during the last major humanitarian crisis

Edited by canuck_saint
troll-rage

These folk are the really desperate ones.

The people with connections or money got out of Syria a LONG time ago. Beat it to Dubai / Middle East, relatives abroad (global).

Lebanon was a destination for them, but help and provision there is no existant. Lebanon also has it's problems.

Turkey has TWO MILLION Syrians, so the Turks are not able to help on account of overwhelming numbers.

Many Syrians are indeed "Kurds" who inturn have no state, and are a "people" without passports or nationhood.

Without recognition as a civilian they couldn't get registered in Turkey, and that meant the UN would not allow many to see refuge.

Not sure i understand the whole thing, but it's only a matter of time before the other countries with suffering in the world wake up and realise that Europe is a good place to be, and it is not actually that far away.............hell these folk are WALKING their way to Germany (and beyond).

...................Interesting times ahead.

I felt sorry for the death of that wee boy in Turkey, his brother, and his mother, and all the others who've died trying to make their way to Europe. We have to find a way of dealing with this that is transparent and fair. My approach would be...

1. Illegal immigrants. Anyone who enters illegally should be sent back. Otherwise we encourage the criminals and people smugglers to continue abusing them and getting them killed.

2. Economic migrants. Happy to welcome them if they bring us something. A rare trade or skill, money to start up a business, a job already sorted out, something like that. If they're going to be a burden on the state then we shouldn't let them in. If they want to make a go of it, give them a time limited visa and check how they've done before giving them citizenship.

3. Refugees. Those fleeing war, persecution, oppression. We should take our fair share and give some of those poor folks a home. Anyone remember all the Uganda Asians that came to Perth in the 60s? The trouble is that illegals and economics pretend to be refugees, some of them even throw their passport away to pretend they are from somewhere else. Maybe we could have the UN validate their status in country before they leave, that way we could be sure they are genuine and pay for their safe transport here.

I felt sorry for the death of that wee boy in Turkey, his brother, and his mother, and all the others who've died trying to make their way to Europe. We have to find a way of dealing with this that is transparent and fair. My approach would be...

1. Illegal immigrants. Anyone who enters illegally should be sent back. Otherwise we encourage the criminals and people smugglers to continue abusing them and getting them killed.

2. Economic migrants. Happy to welcome them if they bring us something. A rare trade or skill, money to start up a business, a job already sorted out, something like that. If they're going to be a burden on the state then we shouldn't let them in. If they want to make a go of it, give them a time limited visa and check how they've done before giving them citizenship.

3. Refugees. Those fleeing war, persecution, oppression. We should take our fair share and give some of those poor folks a home. Anyone remember all the Uganda Asians that came to Perth in the 60s? The trouble is that illegals and economics pretend to be refugees, some of them even throw their passport away to pretend they are from somewhere else. Maybe we could have the UN validate their status in country before they leave, that way we could be sure they are genuine and pay for their safe transport here.

thIs is pretty close to my sentiment on this.  

These genuine refugees should be brought in to Europe. 

They should be allowed to escape war and atrocities. 

The lands we Europeans inhabit are not owned by us, we have no human right to say 'you can't enter'

However, we are a society, a balanced working and viable mix of peoples and cultures blended into the Europe we have now.

If the genuine refugees are willing to wait to be processed, there is no issue.  Let as many of them in as are genuinely escaping with their lives.

There seems (hmmmm.... 'seems'. Can we trust the news?) to be a number of youngish men determined to flee the camps as quickly as possible? 

These are the 'immigrants' that the right wing media appear to be focusing on to stir up ill feelings and condemnation for thus situation.  

If they are what they appear,  passport flinging opportunists seeking the gravy train, how do you filter them out? They have no place in our society if the don't allow themselves to be processed and documented, so why should we let them in?

I could go on, but this is not the correct place to adress an ongoing crisis.

There is no them and us.

They are us. Just born in a different country, indoctrinated to a different religion.

They are us, and they need your help.

The Uganda Asians didn't arrive till the early 70's.

Idi Amin expelled them in 1972.

I pass "the migrants" every day after coming off my train at Piraeus port.

They are well dressed, washed/shaved and clean. They create no disorder. They create no trouble. Biggest selling shops are the mobile phone "top up" shops. They all seem to be carrying smart phones, I Phone 6's etc etc. They are all very calm. They pay there train fair in to central Athens and goodness knows where they go next. They are polite curtious and there is no need for any extra police presence to be around.          

Edited by AthensSaint

A softening of the Athens stance?!?
Im not sure about the smart phones reference though given virtually
everyone carries their phone with them at all times - wouldnt you
take one with you if you were leaving behind family and friends?

Syria was hardly a 3rd world country before the war.

And no social disorder? if i arrived in a country which wasnt trying
to bomb or shoot me everyday, i think id be kind of calm.
Its almost like some sections of the media want to keep us in fear
(pointing no fingers, but you know who you are Rupert)

Im not sure about the smart phones reference though given virtually
everyone carries their phone with them at all times - wouldnt you
take one with you if you were leaving behind family and friends?

I was walking past a big issue seller a while back and a woman next to me started shouting to the big issue seller (who, as ever, was just asking if someone would buy the magazine) about how, if she was homeless, how come she could afford a mobile phone. This woman then looked at me, seeking agreement that the big issue seller was an outrageous hypocrite. What I should have explained was that mobile phones are no longer a luxury, and that those in insecure housing situations are probably the ones who depend most on mobile phones to keep in touch with family and friends and, particularly, from a practical point of view, having a mobile phone means that if they are fortunate enough to be offered a job interview or different accommodation they can be contacted. And of course, to access any kind of support nowadays you pretty much have to have access to the internet and be able to phone a call centre. Instead, to my shame, I said nothing and walked away. Its clear that there are so many misconceptions about homelessness (and to keep on topic, migrants, refugees etc) and this is reflected in seeing phones as an unnecessary luxury - its bizarre.

Anyone who thinks these guys are walking across the continent of Europe just so they can get a grotty flat in Perth or wherever and live off a few quid a week in benefits is utterly, utterly bonkers. Many of them are professionals, skilled craftsmen, or just young lads bursting for a chance to work their arses off without getting blown to atoms by munitions we sold their government. These guys are the cream of the gene pool, and we should be gagging to welcome them. Mind the Ugandan Asians? Their grandladdies own the big hoose at the end of your street. The Germans have got this, and are banking on these guys to propel their economy forward in the next decade or so. Meanwhile, our politicians are overwhelmingly Influenced by next Tuesday's headline in the Daily Mail. We are being ruled by a self-interested Bullington elite who couldn't give a fek about the future of our country as long as they remain rich, in charge, and supplied with sufficient kids to roger. 

Met a family of Migrants this morning in Piraeus. They told me they were planning to settle in Albania :shock: That's like planning to settle in North Muirton when you have all of Perthshire to consider ! 

Feckin hell Athens, its almost like youve stopped reading the Daily Mail! We'll make a liberal (small "L") out of you one of these days.

I made the "mistake" of visiting Tirana a while back at and its like Dundee in the 1970s with compulsory Norman Wisdom films and a weird pogonophobia. If anyone is willing to move there, you know theyve feck all left to lose.

Feckin hell Athens, its almost like youve stopped reading the Daily Mail! We'll make a liberal (small "L") out of you one of these days.

I made the "mistake" of visiting Tirana a while back at and its like Dundee in the 1970s with compulsory Norman Wisdom films and a weird pogonophobia. If anyone is willing to move there, you know theyve feck all left to lose.

Nearly succumbed to that once.............

It was a close shave.

• 2 weeks later...