Armed Forces Day

Brogan

Armed Forces Day to be held at McDiarmid on 7 November

Have to ask WTF has this got to do with football? Why are we celebrating people in uniform carrying guns around? 

It's all turned a little bit Rangers.

No we are rembering people who died or are willing to die to protect us.  If you remember previous posts around this time of year some of those who died were Saints players and I suspect more were supporters.

Nothing. Zero. Our local team is showing some respect to folk who protect us, that's all. Saints sell scotch pies. What has mutton to do with football? Tommy once blew his nose. What has mucus to do with football? I made a particular effort to take my then young kids to McD after the Dunblane thing so we could be somewhere to show our respect with others. Little kids getting their brains blown out has nothing to do with football. Were we wrong to go? Your being an idiot, which from memory is not like you.

Have to ask WTF has this got to do with football? Why are we celebrating people in uniform carrying guns around? 

Surprised to see this from you your posts are usually a good read, even out off respect for our own serving member Stanley Saint it was a bad post.

Maybe me being  auld fart who's experienced blackout curtains and ration books and never really had memories off my dad till he came off  a demob train at Cupar station when I was 6 year auld maybe I agree with what the club is doing. I have the utmost respect for members off the armed forces past and present who have served their country. Just how I feel.

Edited by john.w

I think any chance the public take to remember those who go out every day and risk their lives to protect us is a good thing.  You may not agree with the politics or the reasons why we go to war but the soldiers are just following orders.

I know I couldn't do what my brother does.  I sit at a desk every day. He goes into a war zone and diffuses bombs. These people deserve gratitude.  Be it at the football, in a shopping centre or in the street. 

Protest against the politicians, not the soldiers.  

And this goes for our emergency services too. 

what a Blinkered attitude

These men and women fought to allow you the freedom you enjoy today 

Get that attitude sorted out, These ladies and gentlemen deserve your respect 

I think any chance the public take to remember those who go out every day and risk their lives to protect us is a good thing.  You may not agree with the politics or the reasons why we go to war but the soldiers are just following orders.

I know I couldn't do what my brother does.  I sit at a desk every day. He goes into a war zone and diffuses bombs. These people deserve gratitude.  Be it at the football, in a shopping centre or in the street. 

Protest against the politicians, not the soldiers.  

And this goes for our emergency services too. 

tried a few times to put into words my thoughts, but you hit it on the head for me there.

As a community club Saints should be all over this. 

what a Blinkered attitude

Get that attitude sorted out, These ladies and gentlemen deserve your respect 

Interesting that among all the swivel-eyed rants (Broon, cager nips, john w excepted), no-one has actually answered my initial question - why are we celebrating the use of armed force at a football match?

I don't see it as supporting the use of arms through football. 

I see it as a community club we are supporting those in the local community who deserve some recognition for the service they have done. Usually for very little reward 

And certainly in some cases 90 mins of football may prove therapeutic. 

Although 90mins watching Saints usually gives me ptsd

Having served my Queen and Country for 25 years, I find your comments quite offensive, but hey we have freedom of speech, which was hard earned. If you are questioning wff this has got to do with football then perhaps you could have posted it in chit chat. It has, of course, nothing to do with football, other than the venue.

Interesting that among all the swivel-eyed rants (Broon, cager nips, john w excepted), no-one has actually answered my initial question - why are we celebrating the use of armed force at a football match?

I don't see any mention of 'celebration' in the news item. There is however mention of showing 'appreciation'. Perhaps you should rephrase your question if you are genuinely questioning the nature of the event rather than just trying to be provocative.

I don't see it as supporting the use of arms through football. 

I see it as a community club we are supporting those in the local community who deserve some recognition for the service they have done. Usually for very little reward 

And certainly in some cases 90 mins of football may prove therapeutic. 

Although 90mins watching Saints usually gives me ptsd

PTSD is a serious condition that many of my friends developed on returning from recent conflicts as I am sure some of my serving, and ex serving colleagues, all members of the Service 'Family' will testify.

Relating the condition to watching Saints, whether in jest or not, is not at all humorous. 

Hi, so people quick to jump on the "I'm offended" or "it's not funny" train. Remember everyone's position is completely subjective.

As for the actual event, I find the way The Rangers do it cringe-worthy; Marines abseiling off stands, every uniformed individual a hero etc. I don't see a problem with any club wanting to open its gates to members of the armed forces for free. Similar programmes have been rolled out for other special interest groups. I personally don't think asking them to wear uniforms should be a thing; it's tacky.

And before I get a response that equates to "check your privilege" I've worn a uniform and I'm definitely no hero, not then and certainly not now.

Have to say I'm not massively comfortable with this either. I don't really see any need for Saints to do this. I'm all for giving out free tickets to groups like kids, students, pensioners, the unemployed etc as an occasional gesture and a way to boost crowds - but surely people in the armed forces earn salaries?

It is not entirely unsurprising that a club in a city with a strong military history such as Perth, with both the Black Watch and the 51st Highland Volunteers/7 Scots TA having the freedom of the city, should want to show some appreciation to the armed forces. Some might argue things like this should have been done previously, before this recent invention of Veterans Day / Armed Forces Day which you could also argue, a lot of places / teams / whatever are jumping on as its almost seen as the in-thing and something they should be doing.

The club have also in the past done a discounted season ticket for armed forces and emergency services personnel but that seems to have been quietly forgotten about and no longer offered.  

The vagueness of all of this is rather concerning:

Various events to show our appreciation to those who have fought and sacrificed themselves in service to their country will take place in the build up to kick off

I think that a minute silence and red poppies is plenty and more importantly dignified.  Turning a football match into a militarty celebration with whatever is going to happen before 3pm is very concerning.  I will not take my children to be honest.

This is also not in tune with a family environment in my opinion and rather an own goal in many respects, with trying to encourage more families and children in schools to attend.

This country defeated fascism in 1945 with the help of France, US, Soviet Union and other allies, however rather ironically there has been a rather fascist attack on the person who started the thread,  who holds an opinion/views which will be probably be shared by many other Saints fans.

This decision by the club can only divide fans........ and it has done already.  Not well thought out at all. 

My family won't be there.  Hope we win. COYS

PTSD is a serious condition that many of my friends developed on returning from recent conflicts as I am sure some of my serving, and ex serving colleagues, all members of the Service 'Family' will testify.

Relating the condition to watching Saints, whether in jest or not, is not at all humorous. 

Without wishing to start a fire PTSD is not exclusive to the Armed Forces and it's perfectly reasonable that one might suffer it after watching Saints, whether in jest or otherwise.

Never be too precious.

Not all our troops are being deployed in war zones. Plenty are in humanitarian roles or  anti smuggling drugs, people and god knows what else.

As much as i despise the glorification of war, the young lads (and latterly lasses) who put their lives on the line every day, be that in an illegal war or hving to clear up that shit afterwards, whether we agree or not , should not be forgotten.

Support the troops, F*** the war, and get those f******* politicians tae f*** before they start another one