Zander Clark

Jad

• 1 year later...

Billy Dodds in the papers today waxing lyrical about Scott Fox(29), suggesting that he should be 3rd choice behind David Marshall(31) and Craig Gordon(34).

I think Zander Clark(24) has a much bigger future in the game than Scott Fox, Jack Hamilton or Liam Kelly...

Edited by R.B.B:- Adz

Guest ScottMann

Billy Dodds in the papers today waxing lyrical about Scott Fox(29), suggesting that he should be 3rd choice behind David Marshall(31) and Craig Gordon(34).

I think Zander Clark(24) has a much bigger future in the game than Scott Fox, Jack Hamilton or Liam Kelly...

Dodds promoting Fox is the same as Callum promoting Zander. 

Dodds promoting Fox is the same as Callum promoting Zander. 

Hmmm not really the point I was making. I don't have a problem with Billy Dodds, or any assistant manager talking up his goalkeeper.

I was more alluding to the fact that Zander Clark should be seriously considered as being a future Scotland cap.

If Austin McPhee was talking up Jack Hamilton, Billy Dodds was was talking up Scott Fox, David Weir was talking up Liam Kelly and Callum Davidson was talking up Zander Clark - I would say Zander Clark SHOULD be viewed as the most likely of that quartet to be a future Scotland goalkeeper..

Zander should be in the next Scotland squad, but he won't, why? Because he plays for Saints.

He's better than Hamilton and Fox, but no chance he'll get picked over either. He's good with the ball at his feet and is distribution is the best I've seen from a Saints keeper. His kick outs are actually directed at someone. He is looking more comfortable and better as each game passes.

I predict he'll leave in the summer for a fee and as is the norm for a good young Scottish player leaving Saints, will be in the next Scotland squad.

Wee gordon likes the big city clubs and was still spouting the same pish last week about Utd and Hibs being in the top flight regardless that they are both shit and were relegated because of that. Hence the reason the wee ginger will persist with the Hamiltons, John McGinns of this world, as crowd size matters, and also this is a man that trusts McGhee as his assistant!

Spoony in the paper saying, as mentioned above, Zander would be in the Scotland squad if it wasn't for playing for Saints. 

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/569219/zander-clark-would-be-a-scotland-star-if-he-was-not-at-st-johnstone-says-david-wotherspoon/

I wish they wouldn't do this kind of thing.

I know he'll draw attention anyway but we don't need to be adding to it.

Guest ScottMann

I wish they wouldn't do this kind of thing.

I know he'll draw attention anyway but we don't need to be adding to it.

Have to disagree. The more the 'diddy' clubs highlight the small minded, biased selection policy of the SFA the better.

Spoony in the paper saying, as mentioned above, Zander would be in the Scotland squad if it wasn't for playing for Saints. 

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/569219/zander-clark-would-be-a-scotland-star-if-he-was-not-at-st-johnstone-says-david-wotherspoon/

Spoony needs to focus on his own game, rather than talking up his teammates.

Clark is really starting to influence games for us. Vital to the win at Firhill and kept us in it yesterday. Mannus was reliable but I never felt he made the big saves that Clark is now starting to produce and that Enckelman did before him. It's also noticeable that he's putting an effort into getting good distance on his saves after the Rangers concession.

What he could work on would be more consistency in his kicking (least important thing for a keeper though IMO) and having the confidence to come for cross balls again, which seems dented after the County game. We also conceded less from set pieces with Mannus organising but that could come down to being quite a small team some weeks.

Would definitely like to see his contract extended.

Clark is really starting to influence games for us. Vital to the win at Firhill and kept us in it yesterday. Mannus was reliable but I never felt he made the big saves that Clark is now starting to produce and that Enckelman did before him. It's also noticeable that he's putting an effort into getting good distance on his saves after the Rangers concession.

What he could work on would be more consistency in his kicking (least important thing for a keeper though IMO) and having the confidence to come for cross balls again, which seems dented after the County game. We also conceded less from set pieces with Mannus organising but that could come down to being quite a small team some weeks.

Would definitely like to see his contract extended.

Agree on all 3 points.

Last season he was claiming every ball in the air. Now he rarely comes for crosses & there was one yesterday that looked easy.

Don't know if it was the collision with Joe or instructions from coach or manager.

• 2 weeks later...

He's no doubt being groomed for a move to Sevco- then scotland caps will flow.... I'm not convinced he's international standard. Mind you most of the scottish team aren't.  Its not all about "pretty ball" saves- they look good on tv, but until he controls his box & gives decent distribution... he's not ready.

I'm not convinced he's international standard. Mind you most of the scottish team aren't.  Its not all about "pretty ball" saves- they look good on tv, but until he controls his box & gives decent distribution... he's not ready.

You can argue what merits international standard all day long, but if Jack Hamilton is the standard for 3rd choice, then for me, Zander Clark is ahead of that.

I think Zanders distribution is pretty good, and in terms of commanding his area, doesnt do at all badly either. Its not Tommy's style to have his goalkeepers flying out of their goals for every cross or running outside of the box to tackle oncoming strikers. He uses his defenders for that, When you have someone who can header like Ando, you dont need your keeper taking unnecessary risks...