Zander Clark

Jad

You can argue what merits international standard all day long, but if Jack Hamilton is the standard for 3rd choice, then for me, Zander Clark is ahead of that.

I think Zanders distribution is pretty good, and in terms of commanding his area, doesnt do at all badly either. Its not Tommy's style to have his goalkeepers flying out of their goals for every cross or running outside of the box to tackle oncoming strikers. He uses his defenders for that, When you have someone who can header like Ando, you dont need your keeper taking unnecessary risks...

We'll agree to disagree... I'm not having a crack at Zander- just think he needs a couple of seasons in him before being called up. Call me old school, but i believe a keeper should "boss the box". That doesn't mean kamikaze runs out of the box. Just when a cross comes in... claim it. He's not there yet. Close, yes. 2 more seasons of experience.  I like Zander & undoubtedly he'll move onto a bigger club- hopefully not Sevco. He's potentially got 15 years in him. 

Which got me thinking... best saints keeper of recent times? There's a few options... Main, Rhodes, Balavage?  I'm not sure who I'd pick. I think Main was the better all-rounder.  Rhodes was a brilliant shot stopper & ego, Balavidge was traditional... i liked him. I don't know. I probably would go for Rhodes.  Despite his antics, and theatrics, and his effing watch! He was a great shot stopper. Main could command his box, sometimes, as could Balavidge.

I hate to say it, but despite his faults, crap, Andy Rhodes was a goalie, entertainer, t***. But people wanted to see him strut his ego. I miss that.  Zander needs 2 more seasons

Edited by Melbourne Saint

We'll agree to disagree... I'm not having a crack at Zander- just think he needs a couple of seasons in him before being called up. Call me old school, but i believe a keeper should "boss the box". That doesn't mean kamikaze runs out of the box. Just when a cross comes in... claim it. He's not there yet. Close, yes. 2 more seasons of experience.

I think you are misunderstanding me.

I'm saying that Jack Hamilton IS the current standard. It doesn't matter if you can envisage Zander Clark running out the tunnel at Hampden or not... At this moment in time, it is Jack Hamilton that is third choice, and in my opinion Zander Clark is a better goalkeeper in almost every aspect.

I don't necessarily think Zander is ready either, BUT if Jack Hamilton or Liam Kelly is deemed ready, then Zander is streets ahead of both of those players and is set for a much bigger future in the game.

Oh Dear Andy Rhodes style over substance he was an OK shot stopper but overall  a poor keeper.I remember the first time  I saw him an easily catchable shot came into the box he took a step to the side,dived through the air and Palmed  it round the post.The crowd went wild and I said "That ****ing idiot has just given away a corner.This became the norm theatrical dives follows by extravagant rolls on the ground d.He was all ego,a big conman.We bought him from Dunfermline n a deal valued at 300K which was 100 K plus Roddy and Lindsay Hamilton.After a couple of years (and far too many games)he was loaned out twice and then punted to Airdrie for 25K  

Edited by lang toon saintie

The third goalie role for Scotland has often been used to encourage and bring on young goalies in the almost certain knowledge they will never be called on in an individual game ( when was the last time a third goalie ever took to the field)? Given the risk is tiny, there's no reason why it shouldn't be rotated. Is Clark international class - not yet. might he get in a squad or two, perhaps after the latest qualifying fiasco peters out, to bring him on - why not?

You can argue what merits international standard all day long, but if Jack Hamilton is the standard for 3rd choice, then for me, Zander Clark is ahead of that.

I think Zanders distribution is pretty good, and in terms of commanding his area, doesnt do at all badly either. Its not Tommy's style to have his goalkeepers flying out of their goals for every cross or running outside of the box to tackle oncoming strikers. He uses his defenders for that, When you have someone who can header like Ando, you dont need your keeper taking unnecessary risks...

We'll agree to disagree... I'm not having a crack at Zander- just think he needs a couple of seasons in him before being called up. Call me old school, but i believe a keeper should "boss the box". That doesn't mean kamikaze runs out of the box. Just when a cross comes in... claim it. He's not there yet. 

Oh Dear Andy Rhodes style over substance he was an OK shot stopper but overall  a poor keeper.I remember the first time  I saw him an easily catchable shot came into the box he took a step to the side,dived through the air and Palmed  it round the post.The crowd went wild and I said "That ****ing idiot has just given away a corner.This became the norm theatrical dives follows by extravagant rolls on the ground d.He was all ego,a big conman.We bought him from Dunfermline n a deal valued at 300K which was 100 K plus Roddy and Lindsay Hamilton.After a couple of years (and far too many games)he was loaned out twice and then punted to Airdrie for 25K  

Lindsay Hamilton had an ego too... he had a weakness at crosses on the box.all I'm saying is Zander needs 2 seasons. He is good. Just don't go to the evil sisters, as they destroy talent.

Andy Rhodes was a very good keeper. His downfall was the passback rule, he was useless at kicking and it basically ****ed his game. He was also a t***.

• 3 weeks later...

TW confirms that Clark hasn't even had a call from Strachan yet, despite, stats wise, being the best young scottish keeper in the league. Three 30+ year olds called up ahead of him, and Jack Hamilton as standby. Its laughable.

He also hints Mays decision to leave was influenced by his constant rejection from the national squad.

He's absolutely right though. Regardless of whether Zander would get in ahead of the 3 called up or not, he's at a disadvantage because he is at Saints. Any player could score 30+ goals for Saints, be a great keeper or the best midfielder in the country and he'd not get a call up. Off the top of my head, players like Main (for a long time) O'Neil, Calum Davidson, May etc, were no worse a player at saints than after, yet never got even close. The Davidson one in particular irks. Was he not overlooked for 4-5 squads and then called up 2 days after leaving?

I remember Tommy Burns being asked about McFadden getting a call up as soon as he went to Everton and he's response was along the lines of 'it looks better to have a player from Everton than Motherwell doesn't it?'

That mentality remains. The likes of Danny Fox, Simon Donnelly, Jonathan Gould etc, show that you can be sub standard, but if you are at the right kind of club....

Davidson was when I realised it.

Two weeks before he was sold Craig Brown (?) said he wasn't of the required quality for international football.  He was promptly sold to Blackburn with his debut against Arsenal.  He played left back in a 4-0 defeat and was directly responsible for at least 3 of those.

2 days later he was picked for Scotland.

It's true he's at the wrong club if he wants to play for Scotland.

Scotland are diddies anyway.

hes better off without them.

So - it appears that right now he isn't good enough to play at international level, but he might benefit from being around the squad.

I wonder if the keeper of San Marino or the Faroes is good enough to play at international level. They might be in a group with Germany, Italy or Spain. Elia Benedettini played for San Marino against Slovenia in a 6-0 defeat when he was just 20.

I've little interest in the international scene in general, and Scotland even less so. I doubt I'd watch one of their games even if one of our players was on the pitch. Not going to be a choice I have to make anytime soon.