Zander Clark

Jad

10 hours ago, cristo said:

Okay, boost probably the wrong word. How about "experience for a good prospect for the future"  I don't rate him as good as Gordon or McGregor, but as I suggested goalie is one position where the third choice is highly unlikely to play.

McGregor, Gordon, McLaughlin and Marshall all ahead of him for me. Scotland side should be the best available players, regardless of age or "needing experience". A succession of Scotland managers have diluted what it means to play for Scotland by giving shite players "experience". Pick the best players, play them in the correct position and stick a rocket up their arse. Job done.

There are always players in any international, one-off squad who are extremely unlikely to play. It is very common to use those spots to give up and coming players a taste of a squad and get a look at them. Even if Zander is just in the top five it is legitimate to wonder if he should be given a place in light of his current form. I don’t think it’s a disgrace he hasn’t, but at the same time, I don’t think it’s weird to suggest he should. If we’re not going to push for him, who will?

Guest ScottMann

What should happen and what actually happens are two different things. Going by what is done these days with international squads there is no reason at all why Zander shouldn't be included at the moment.

He may not be facing as many shots as earlier in the season but part of being a great goalkeeper is organising your defence, inspiring confidence at set plays, kicking well and vitally when you are called into action keeping concentration and making that vital save. He's ticking all the boxes at the moment. Well done Zander.

Players on form should be picked, he would deserve it.

Scott Bain has been called up by Scotland to replace Craig Gordon.

Bain has played in one league game this season.

Clark has more clean sheets in the last month than Bain has appearances all season.

Bain plays for Celtic.

Bizarre how McLeish looks at one of these things as more important than the others.

Scotland National Team holds zero interest to me now, it's pointless.

45 minutes ago, RandomGuy said:

Scott Bain has been called up by Scotland to replace Craig Gordon.

Bain has played in one league game this season.

Clark has more clean sheets in the last month than Bain has appearances all season.

Bain plays for Celtic.

Bizarre how McLeish looks at one of these things as more important than the others.

Scotland National Team holds zero interest to me now, it's pointless.

Have to say it is a strange decision. The only reason for it can be that they used Bain in the Mexico game in the summer. 

1 minute ago, Cagey said:

If it had been McGregor that withdrew & Bain hadn't played today I wonder if he would have even thought of Bain.

That now makes McDonald No2 & he couldn't even get into his own yesterday. Over the last 2 or 3 seasons Killie have brought in keepers to replace him.

Will he be no 2. I wonder if they will have Bain as 2 because of his involvement during the summer. 

From what they said McDonald was dropped due to hearts use of cross balls and the fact he is slightly vertically challenged for a goalie. 

5 hours ago, mainstand said:

Have to say it is a strange decision. The only reason for it can be that they used Bain in the Mexico game in the summer. 

for 45mins an he only got a chance because of Archers howler in the Peru game. So at very best Zander is 6th choice?

I presume Eck doesnt fancy Marshall who is playing regularly in a league above Mclaughlin

I'm not sure Zander is ready for a call-up yet tbh. Can't comment on the folk Ecks called up, but Zander is a bit away from international level. The lads may be piss that are called up before him, I'm quite happy for him to wait a little bit. Think the potential is there, just a few things to work on. Mind you, I reckon a starting XI from brechin would do better than this aimless mob.

3 hours ago, garydavidson said:

I just assumed he was injured considering who has been called up.

8 hours ago, 541ntees said:

for 45mins an he only got a chance because of Archers howler in the Peru game. So at very best Zander is 6th choice?

I presume Eck doesnt fancy Marshall who is playing regularly in a league above Mclaughlin

Marshall made himself "unavailable" for selection a few months back.

18 minutes ago, ScottMann said:

I see Kelly the Livi keeper's getting bigged up now. He's only played a handful of top level games. I wonder why the ex-Rangers player is getting so much praise so soon.

He had a good start to the season and got a lot of praise then. Sure the BBC had an article on him which is usually a  curse.

I had expected him to get called up due to his Rangers past and having been at every level with Scotland up to under 21s.

19 minutes ago, ScottMann said:

I see Kelly the Livi keeper's getting bigged up now. He's only played a handful of top level games. I wonder why the ex-Rangers player is getting so much praise so soon.

Because he's 22, playing for the weakest team, yet has kept the most clean sheets in the league?

Guest ScottMann
3 minutes ago, garydavidson said:

He had a good start to the season and got a lot of praise then. Sure the BBC had an article on him which is usually a  curse.

I had expected him to get called up due to his Rangers past and having been at every level with Scotland up to under 21s.

Exactly, but that is all. 

2 minutes ago, RandomGuy said:

Because he's 22, playing for the weakest team, yet has kept the most clean sheets in the league?

:laugh: