Saints v Partick Th. 17th Oct

The ghost of Jim Morton

'eck St Johnstone, who wud've thunk it... only one goal. International breaks grrrrr!!

From the BBC.

"Two excellent first-half strikes helped Partick Thistle bring St Johnstone back down to earth in the Perth side's first game since trouncing Aberdeen 5-1".

Aye we've obviously exceeded our positivity entitlement levels just lately. :roll:

Edited by Indicator

A harrowing hark back to last season. With half the game us struggling to get out our own box and putting no pressure on anyone thinking about shooting. The other half we spend it pumping balls forward and having absolutely no end product.

Struggle to claim we deserved anything from the game either tbh, such was the horrendous effort of our first half and the pure beauty of the two Thistle goals.

Lost all patience with Wotherspoon aswell, while Lappins played himself out the squad for about the nineteenth time. Struggle to see what Sutton adds to us aswell. Far rather see more of Caddis and Kane these days.

Gotta win this one  to make the Dons and United wins worth while.  Pretty sure we will but the guys will need to  be up for it and approach it in the correct manner.

Saints had enough chances to win that game but some poor finishing plus a couple of good saves from the time wasting goalie meant we got nothing. Shit happens sadly..

Defence okay and Maclean had a decent game but midfield was poor.

bizarre decision to start our best player this season on the bench, unless he was deemed not fully fit.

first 10 mins of each half we played at a great tempo and caused problems, but it fizzled out. The long ball extravaganza in the second half was grim, and thistle seemed to cope well with it.

two screamers for partick and they defended fairly well.  Our last two results show that in this league, outwith celtic, anyone can take points of any other side and nobody is really that much better than anyone else.

We were great in the first 5-10 minutes before allowing Partick far too much time on the ball and control of the general play. I must admit I was impressed with them and I thought they deserved the win overall (although the handball incident took place inside the box and should have resulted in a penalty).

On a positive note, MacLean is now the clear top scorer in the league. Well done Macca. A great performance from him today. Cummins' shooting left a lot to be desired, but he works well with MacLean and always provides at least one moment of real quality throughout the course of a game. Today, it was a fine assist for our goal.

Lappin was poor and Wotherspoon's passing was very wasteful. After an improvement in form during the past few weeks, Shaughnessy was off the boil today (particularly in the second-half).

I'd freshen things up a tiny bit next week -

Mannus

Fisher  Mackay  Scobbie  Easton

O'Halloran  Millar  Davidson  Craig

MacLean

Cummins

Joe the throw was poor today, as was Cummins. Spoony started well but then a couple of poor touches at end of first half seemed to affect him.

Muzz was average, Craig was ok, was Lappin playing??

Dave & Beast were decent. I thought Scobbie did very well against very hard to handle, big strikers

MOH should have been on from start. Caused havoc when he got the ball running at their defence. At least two or three Thistle players got booked for fouling him

For me, Tommy's changes were too like for like. Taking Spoony off for Caddis wasn't taking a big enough risk and if he thought the aerial route was going to work, why not have both Cummins and Sutton on at the end?

all that said, I actually feel we did deserve something from the game

Strange,  Mikey not in starting 11. No injuries according to Tommy but Midge not even on bench. Did he not want to change a winning team. If so why drop Clark.

Lappin,Wotherspoon & Craig are are very slow midfield.

Wotherspoon blowing out his arse after 20 mins. I think he had a virus last season & I don't think he has been the same player since. 

Lappin past it. 

Craig needs someone to do work in midfield.

Will have to see the goals again but even though they were great strikes they were no better & further Out than the one that the PPatrick goalie saved.

Craig should have scored with free header. Cummins should have done better with his header & had 3 wild shots when a crossmay have been better

McLean missed anopen goal near the end & how the ref or linesman thought hand ball was outside boxI will never know.

At Aberdeen everything we hit went in. Not today.

Edited by Cagey

Just one of those games. We didn't carry any luck and thistle did. Two world class strikes. I actually used to watch the shooting practice and regularly used to comment that Gary Millar was the best striker of the ball in our side. Sods bloody law he decided to prove it today.

Lappin was culpable for their second. Switched off for the second time at a throw in but you can't legislate for the strike. Worldly. 

Still  thought at 2-0 we could win the game and we really should have. Cummins and Craig missed easy headers and Cerny saved brilliantly from mackay, Craig and Cummins. Maclean nearly got one when he rounded the goalkeeper and then that bloody ridiculous refereeing decision for the free kick (100% penalty). 

Was a good, entertaining game.

PIss poor first half. Thistle scored two spectacular goals- (I have a grudging admiration for Gary Millar, nice goal - he looked composed and looks like a nice find for Thistle- he didn't deserve to be jettisoned by us but hey - good luck Gary)  

Our midfield was by- passed by a clever hard working Jag team who reminded me of us- get your head out of your ass- our calling card is closing down the play.

Our D makes me nervous, without classy Dave we could be in real trouble. Tam Scobbie, Jury has been out longer than the OJ Simpson case- I'm not convinced.

Spoony is bereft of confidence and I seen a side of his game today I didn't like where he was very lucky not to be booked for a nasty tackle- the kid is class stop trying to be Steven Gerrard and get back to working your sock off.

Muzz was unusually quiet , he came on a game late on but the ball was on the slates by then.

Two world class saves by the Jag keeper- the first one just after we scored was unbelievable.

All in all a crap day but the exciting end when we were still in it justified the trip.

We'll play worse and win.

Macca looks as sharp as ever. If only MOH has started.

Edited by SaintJet
play worse and lose-sorry had a few drinks

How this was called a free kick and not a penalty is beyond me.  It's not even close to the line. well done to the officials...Really  great job.

12088063_981760515180263_2161502267301014211_n.jpg

yet another example of where a linesman should have been the one taking the authority as he had the best view in the stadium of this

as ever though, they wait to see what the Ref decides and just go along with it

Boils my piss when the ball goes out for a throw in and the linesman stands looking to see what way the ref gives it, and then flags in compliance

Edited by Edstar101

yet another example of where a linesman should have been the one taking the authority as he had the best view in the stadium of this

as ever though, they wait to see what the Ref decides and just go along with it

Boils my piss when the ball goes out for a throw in and the linesman stands looking to see what way the ref gives it, and then flags in compliance

Tommy says the linesman told our players he was not sure if the offence was inside the box or not.  Surely he should at least have agreed to the Saints players request to speak to the referee and tell him this.  I was nearly parallel with the incident and I do go to Specsavers, it was at least 2 feet inside the box.  This is the sort of simple dispute that could be settled in about 30 seconds using even the limited TV coverage available. Ridiculous and I suppose Tommy will now have to wait and see if the SFA take the huff at his comments.  

Unlucky.  Beaten by 2 great shots. We could have scored 5, but not our day.

How the Ref was so slow to get oer to the penalty handball, if he was there any sooner it was obvious the thistle player would have still been in the box. I'm pretty sure the ref sees the offending player in the box and watches him walk out of it. Shocker!  The ref has clearly lost us at least a point today.  Although I did notice the Jags fans going crazy at the ref more than a dozen times today. In short it was piss poor ref.  Though our effort and chances deserved at the very least a point. Unlucky.

We've played worse and won, and we will do again. Midfield was poor, stood off too much and let them play. Miller,s goal was a great strike, the second one would've ended up on the car park on another day.

Hey ho, can't win them all, but we'll win more than we lose this season.

Onwards and upwards, COYS.