Ross County v Saints 5th Dec 2016

The ghost of Jim Morton

Next up we have the long trip up to  Dingwall to face a Ross County side who's form is not that great . They have only won 2 in the alst 8 and lost 5.  I hope we can continue with our great away form  and  come home with all 3 points.

Taking the train up for this one and looking forward to a braw day oot.

Who's all going and what are yer thoughts on the game..

Feel like we should be winning every game just now, and 7 away wins on the bounce will be an achievement the players will surely be extremely motivated to complete.

While Dingwall is a tough place to go, I don't think County have the same strength to nullify our attacking threat that Dundee did, and I'm going for a 3-1 win for Saints.

Doubt I'll be at this, which is sad.

Hard to tell what County side will turn up, they seem like the type of team who'll lose four games then win four games, and Dingwalls always tough for us.

We're on a ridiculously good run of form, but the last two games have seen a clear drop in level IMO, so we really need to up it for this. 

We'll have Liam Craig back, and theres a slim chance of Cummins returning too but I imagine he'd only be on the bench.

Not sure how I'd line us up, the eleven who started v Dundee didnt do anything particularly wrong so you'd struggle to agree with any of them being dropped, but getting a left footer back into things would be beneficial I think. Only problem is you'd probably be taking Wotherspoon out and he's been in a decent vein of form lately, biggest problem is he could easily have a complete howler. I'd maybe promote a more negative five man midfield with the knowledge County will likely go two up front, try and dominate the middle and create something with O'Hallorans pace on the counter, probably harshly dropping Kane but its possibly not the right type of game for him and it gives us a legit option off the bench to change things. 

Mannus

Shaughnessy - Anderson - Mackay - Easton

Wotherspoon/O'Halloran - Muzz - Millar - Craig

Wotherspoon/O'Halloran

MacLean

For me. Not sure who'd be better central and who'd be better right though.

Doubt I'll be at this, which is sad.

Hard to tell what County side will turn up, they seem like the type of team who'll lose four games then win four games, and Dingwalls always tough for us.

We're on a ridiculously good run of form, but the last two games have seen a clear drop in level IMO, so we really need to up it for this. 

We'll have Liam Craig back, and theres a slim chance of Cummins returning too but I imagine he'd only be on the bench.

Not sure how I'd line us up, the eleven who started v Dundee didnt do anything particularly wrong so you'd struggle to agree with any of them being dropped, but getting a left footer back into things would be beneficial I think. Only problem is you'd probably be taking Wotherspoon out and he's been in a decent vein of form lately, biggest problem is he could easily have a complete howler. I'd maybe promote a more negative five man midfield with the knowledge County will likely go two up front, try and dominate the middle and create something with O'Hallorans pace on the counter, probably harshly dropping Kane but its possibly not the right type of game for him and it gives us a legit option off the bench to change things. 

Mannus

Shaughnessy - Anderson - Mackay - Easton

Wotherspoon/O'Halloran - Muzz - Millar - Craig

Wotherspoon/O'Halloran

MacLean

For me. Not sure who'd be better central and who'd be better right though.

I'm just interested as to why you feel Kane should drop to the bench? I've been impressed with his attitude especially towards big physical defenders trying to intimidate him by pushing and kicking him around he's been a real nuisance to opposing sides after coming into the team IMO, I'd also like to ask why you'd want to go with 5 across the middle and 1 up top away at County I'd say that was slightly negative? Surely they should be fearing us and not the other way around we are the in form team after all! I wouldn't mind us starting 4312 seemed to work very well when we switched to it through in Hamilton in the second half with MOH coming into the hole although we may miss him being such a great outlet ball down the right however we really didn't utilise that enough on Friday and it's becoming very predictable so a lot of teams are just throwing numerous players towards him so why not try him in the hole, I suppose none of us know what Tommy is thinking and it's all your own opinion though but 4312 for me.

Mannus

Joe     Ando Cuptie    Easton

Millar Muzz Liam/Spoony 

MOH

Kane Macca 

Can't wait to make the trip up there and get behind the lads! 2-1 saints same goalscorers as tannadice! 

Is ando going to be fit?  Thought I heard he picked up a knock in the Dundee game?

Kane had his poorest game against Dundee, but still think he deserves to start.  If Cummins was fit, he'd start, and Kane is a straight like for like.  

I know it's harsh, but I'd drop Spoony for Craig, with a view to Spoony coming off the bench and running at them for the last half hour.  He plays equally well on either flank, and can create openings, so can really unsettle a tiring defense.  Kane off and Mikey up top for the last half hour.

Mannus

Joe Ando/Scobbie MacKay Easton

Mikey Muzz Midge Liam

MacLean

Kane

I'm just interested as to why you feel Kane should drop to the bench? I've been impressed with his attitude especially towards big physical defenders trying to intimidate him by pushing and kicking him around he's been a real nuisance to opposing sides after coming into the team IMO, I'd also like to ask why you'd want to go with 5 across the middle and 1 up top away at County I'd say that was slightly negative? Surely they should be fearing us and not the other way around we are the in form team after all!

Its nothing against Kane, and absolutely nothing to do with fearing County. Its just they played well earlier this season when playing against four men midfields, and then started struggling when teams went to five in the middle and controlled the midfield. Control the midfield area and youve a massive advantage against them. A five man midfield would give us that advantage, at least in theory, and would allow us balance with Craig back in, while also keeping the in form Mikey and Spoony duo in the team. Kanes just the odd one out sadly, as MacLeans the better lone striker. Having him on the bench would also give us a proper option later on aswell.

Agree with you RG.  I'd rest Kane, as you say he could be a threat from the bench, and start Craig and Spoony.  Either Spoony central in a 5 man midfield or O'Halloran with Maclean up front and Spoony and Craig on either flank.

Be good to make a positive start as mentioned.  Let's get ahead and give us a chance to use MOH's pace on the break with a bit of space to run into.

Its nothing against Kane, and absolutely nothing to do with fearing County. Its just they played well earlier this season when playing against four men midfields, and then started struggling when teams went to five in the middle and controlled the midfield. Control the midfield area and youve a massive advantage against them. A five man midfield would give us that advantage, at least in theory, and would allow us balance with Craig back in, while also keeping the in form Mikey and Spoony duo in the team. Kanes just the odd one out sadly, as MacLeans the better lone striker. Having him on the bench would also give us a proper option later on aswell.

Thats the start of the season though, think back to how we were at the start of the season now look at us, things change! I accept your opinion I just feel going up there looking to play a lone striker is slightly negative that's all! 

Agree with you RG.  I'd rest Kane, as you say he could be a threat from the bench, and start Craig and Spoony.  Either Spoony central in a 5 man midfield or O'Halloran with Maclean up front and Spoony and Craig on either flank.

Be good to make a positive start as mentioned.  Let's get ahead and give us a chance to use MOH's pace on the break with a bit of space to run into.

You've got to go with 2 up top IMO! I feel if we went with the 5 option our lone striker would get isolated very very quickly as for a positive start I'm not too confident on that we haven't been the fastest out of the blocks at times this season.

Agree about the start though, it's unbelievable how often we've fallen behind this season.  In fairness to the team, we now just shrug and accept it because we've been incredible in turning it around a lot of the time.  Be nice to not have to though! 

My only issue with falling behind so early is these stats are telling us we are not prepared; surely someone must address this. Going behind so early in matches means you are always chasing the game and we are not always going to turn it around.

It doesn't have to be negative though Lenny, if we have Maclean on form holding the ball up you're looking at MOH, Spoony, Liam and Muzz getting forward in support.  I don't like 1 up front at home, but for selected away games it can do a job.

I understand where you are coming from Paulo! Just feel that we have been so brilliant at times going forward with the 2 up top that there isn't really any reason to change it like I said I'm just scared Macca could become isolated up there very very quickly if we don't dominate the game possession wise.

My only issue with falling behind so early is these stats are telling us we are not prepared; surely someone must address this. Going behind so early in matches means you are always chasing the game and we are not always going to turn it around.

I agree with you SaintJet! Its good to see that we still kick on even after going a goal behind however I don't enjoy watching it happen the first five minutes on Friday night were just a joke not prepared at all shows there must be something behind the scenes in terms of us not being prepared or we are just very very slow starters.

The only change I would make is Fisher for Joe (and if needs must Scobbie for Ando). The reason I would drop Joe is that he does not want to take the ball from Mannus and Easton does. I have come to the conclusion this is why 90% of our play is down the left thus nullifying MOH's threat down the right. I would keep Kane in the team he is playing well and gives 100% in chasing down the ball.

I understand where you are coming from Paulo! Just feel that we have been so brilliant at times going forward with the 2 up top that there isn't really any reason to change it like I said I'm just scared Macca could become isolated up there very very quickly if we don't dominate the game possession wise.

If that happens then you simply move O'Halloran up front beside MacLean and go 4-4-2. The eleven players chosen gives us options to drift between formations, and its something TW likes to do once he sees how the games progressing.

If that happens then you simply move O'Halloran up front beside MacLean and go 4-4-2. The eleven players chosen gives us options to drift between formations, and its something TW likes to do once he sees how the games progressing.

Nah can't agree with this, by moving MOH up top into a 4-4-2 I feel you completely nullify MOH's effectiveness/threat over a game, we all know how effective he is when he picks the ball up on the right side and is moving forward at pace against defenders.  Playing him up to is just not playing to his strengths imo.  However I do agree with you about players being able to drift between formations.