Tuesday Team Talk

Greylag

Such a good interview, thanks again to the Hospital Radio team.

Really interesting to hear him talk about the process of selling the Muirton Park land to Asda and acquiring the McDiarmid Park land. I don't think I've ever heard it discussed in that level of detail before.

25 or so years ago GS Brown raised some money for Hospital Radio Perth.  I went down to their offices about 1.30pm to collect the cheque from their office manager.  As I was leaving I passed their boardroom and Geoff shouted me in and we had a cup of tea.  The conversation turned to Saints.  He was fascinating in his insights into the Scottish game.  We blethered all afternoon and I only had to cut it short to get back to Perth to pick my wife up from her work at 5.

I was gutted I didn't have a recorder with me.  It would have been brilliant.  However Geoff and I agreed then that we'd do a long interview when we both had time.  At least twice a season since, we have spoken about, "when will we do this interview?".  Last week, 25 years later than intended, it eventually happened.

He was just as interesting as I remembered and straight to the point.  I felt the most telling aspects were not the people he spoke about but those he seemed more reluctant to talk about.  We thoroughly enjoyed it - and he advised that he did too.  If anyone deserves a statue outside McDiarmid Park it's him.

7 hours ago, Hospital Radio Perth said:

He was just as interesting as I remembered and straight to the point.  I felt the most telling aspects were not the people he spoke about but those he seemed more reluctant to talk about.  

He certainly didn't seem keen to talk about Alex Totten!

For those who might not get round to listening to it, a couple of interesting snippets I picked up on:

• Saints wanted to put up big drive-in-style screens in the McDiarmid car park for the cup final, and also a big screen outside the Concert Hall, but the police wouldn't allow it.
  • Sergei Baltacha called him just a few weeks ago to ask for a job at Saints.
  • We never tried to sign Aleksandr Mostovoi (gutted about this - sometimes I think it's better just not knowing these things).