Top Six

Cagerf

I think the odds are 100% are they not?  From the bottom 6 only Ross County and Partick can catch us but they've still to play each other so at least one of them will drop points.  Unless I'm missing something, which I could be as nobody else has pointed this out!?

I think the odds are 100% are they not?  From the bottom 6 only Ross County and Partick can catch us but they've still to play each other so at least one of them will drop points.  Unless I'm missing something, which I could be as nobody else has pointed this out!?

Partick play Utd midweek and can reach 44 if they win that and again up at county.If Dundee also win at Hamilton then we'll slip to 7th.

But Utd will draw midweek and we can go out and pump Killie without any pressure on.

I think there's also something about us getting beat by 6 and County winning by 6 and all sorts but yeah pretty much 100% (99.79%)

I think there's also something about us getting beat by 6 and County winning by 6 and all sorts but yeah pretty much 100% (99.79%)

County need a 9 goal swing from a single set of games i.e ours and theirs e.g. we loose 4-0 and they win 5-0. They are not catching us. Partick are the only ones in contention but they need to avoid getting kicked about the park against Utd. Fail to win midweek and we'll secure top 6 unless County get their 9 goal swing in which case the police will surely get involved ;-)

after Celtic, Aberdeen and Hearts there's 3 top 6 places left:  Motherwell, Saints, Dundee, Partick and Ross County all In contention.

so you've got the winner of County v Thistle as you say, Motherwell and Dundee who could all finish above us. Unlikely, but not impossible.

Utd to beat Thistle and Celtic to beat Dundee this midweek and we're home and hosed!!

after Celtic, Aberdeen and Hearts there's 3 top 6 places left:  Motherwell, Saints, Dundee, Partick and Ross County all In contention.

so you've got the winner of County v Thistle as you say, Motherwell and Dundee who could all finish above us. Unlikely, but not impossible.

Utd to beat Thistle and Celtic to beat Dundee this midweek and we're home and hosed!!

Hopefully. Dont want go to Killie on Saturday scrambling for points.

A little more ambition would not come amiss.  Beat Killie and put them right in the brown stuff.  Frankly we need the cash that would come from United staging a miracle escape and I would not miss either Killie or Hamilton or both.  Also Septic might yet surprise us (or me anyway) and win the Cup in which case 4th spot means Europe again.

Dundee lose to Celtic

Thistle beat United

Motherwell lose to Celtic

Dundee beat Hamilton by at least as many as they lose to Celtic

We lose at Killie

Thistle win at County

All of that puts us 7th on GD to Dundee

There are nine matches to play before the split, so 9^3 possible outcomes - that's 19683.

Of those, most would result in a top six spot for Saints, but I don't have the means to calculate it exactly.

Best to make certain, which we ought to have done weeks ago, as Hearts did, but for our horrendously bad form for a couple of months.

Dundee and Partick can both overtake us, no chance of County overtaking us. If Thistle fail to beat United on Tuesday, or County on Saturday we're in the top six

Also posted on the Saints v Killie thread which has gone off topic

This is a catch 22 situation for us this season. Whilst finishing 4th and the kudos and prestige that would bring us as a club having maintained that level on a limited budget, and the extra cash for that place, for 5th season in a row is it worth it in time and expense for the club ?

Yes, whilst some on here are thinking about the away trip, that is for personal reasons, not necessarily for the good and benefit of the club.

For, lets be honest, 2 games, maybe 4 at most (counting both legs).

Next season potentially is shaping up to be a brutal fight for the majority of the league, 4th and 10th place are separated by only 11 points, less than 4 games over 32 played so far.

We have the introduction of them and potentially Hibs to add into the mix next season also.

If foregoing a very brief fling in Europe over the summer allows us to rest, recover, reinvigorate and regroup as a team ready for the battle next season then that has to be worth it for the long term survival in the Premier league.

A Fifth or sixth finish, considering the way we have played since October last year would be an achievement for us, if fifth I wouldn't be displeased. Everyone wants to see their team do well, taking account of all factors fifth would be a good place all round to be.  

Sometimes it’s better to lose the battle to win the war

Also posted on the Saints v Killie thread which has gone off topic

This is a catch 22 situation for us this season. Whilst finishing 4th and the kudos and prestige that would bring us as a club having maintained that level on a limited budget, and the extra cash for that place, for 5th season in a row is it worth it in time and expense for the club ?

Yes, whilst some on here are thinking about the away trip, that is for personal reasons, not necessarily for the good and benefit of the club.

For, lets be honest, 2 games, maybe 4 at most (counting both legs).

Next season potentially is shaping up to be a brutal fight for the majority of the league, 4th and 10th place are separated by only 11 points, less than 4 games over 32 played so far.

We have the introduction of them and potentially Hibs to add into the mix next season also.

If foregoing a very brief fling in Europe over the summer allows us to rest, recover, reinvigorate and regroup as a team ready for the battle next season then that has to be worth it for the long term survival in the Premier league.

A Fifth or sixth finish, considering the way we have played since October last year would be an achievement for us, if fifth I wouldn't be displeased. Everyone wants to see their team do well, taking account of all factors fifth would be a good place all round to be.  

Sometimes it’s better to lose the battle to win the war

Agree with all of that & posted something similar but as Abernethy said if we qualify for Europe we miss the section part of the league cup. Not sure when they both start but being in Europe might not mean us having a shorter break.

We might not get another shot at Europe for a long time, with strong teams coming up, our national co-efficient tanking, and our own standard dropping since last season.  To suggest that another Euro journey would be a bad thing is hard to comprehend for me.

'mon the Saints 

There seems to be a continual assumption that Hibs will come up and then obliterate all before them next season.  There is very little evidence to support this.  They've been distinctly average for most of my football supporting life with certain periods of having a decent side, much like anyone else.  The league will be tight next season but then it invariably is, there is always very little between most of the teams.  Hibs have had some very impressive results against top division teams (as we well know) but they are struggling to get out of the league as it is.  There's no guarantee they'll even get promoted, let alone have an impact on the top division next season.  If Falkirk get promoted presumably nobody will be cowering in fear of them?

I don't think the usual deference should be paid to the other mob that will be coming up either.  If our Cup win proved nothing else it showed that the same fear factor they used to instil has disappeared and teams should at least try to beat them.  They'll come up with their massive expectations and sense of entitlement; will the team they have live up to it?  Who knows.  But I'd like to think it's not a given that they will just get everything their own way again.  The media want that of course but it is up to clubs like ours to try to upset that and thrive upon it.  That's without even touching on their off field shenanigans, a story which has not yet ended. 

Agree with all of that & posted something similar but as Abernethy said if we qualify for Europe we miss the section part of the league cup. Not sure when they both start but being in Europe might not mean us having a shorter break.

Europa League 1st qual round 30 June/7 July.

League cup sectional games - 16/20/23/27/30 July.

So non-qualification gives a couple of weeks extra prep, but then 5 games in 14 days. Even allowing for playing fringe players against diddy teams, the injuries from those games would probably more than wipe out the more rest advantage. If we qualify, we will probably be out by 7 July, and then have a month off (barring friendlies, which will be difficult to get given the LC sections).

For comparison, non-qualification last year would have meant a first game in August.

So the lets don't qualify to rest the players argument really doesn't apply anymore. 

There seems to be a continual assumption that Hibs will come up and then obliterate all before them next season.  There is very little evidence to support this.  They've been distinctly average for most of my football supporting life with certain periods of having a decent side, much like anyone else.  The league will be tight next season but then it invariably is, there is always very little between most of the teams.  Hibs have had some very impressive results against top division teams (as we well know) but they are struggling to get out of the league as it is.  There's no guarantee they'll even get promoted, let alone have an impact on the top division next season.  If Falkirk get promoted presumably nobody will be cowering in fear of them?

I don't think the usual deference should be paid to the other mob that will be coming up either.  If our Cup win proved nothing else it showed that the same fear factor they used to instil has disappeared and teams should at least try to beat them.  They'll come up with their massive expectations and sense of entitlement; will the team they have live up to it?  Who knows.  But I'd like to think it's not a given that they will just get everything their own way again.  The media want that of course but it is up to clubs like ours to try to upset that and thrive upon it.  That's without even touching on their off field shenanigans, a story which has not yet ended. 

There is also the assumption that Hearts will be a force but as we all know the first season up there is the momentum of being champions. Their supporters are not happy with them even in 3td place so I don't think they will be that high next season. If Sevco are going to be all concurring like some think then they & Celtic will take points off everyone so there is no reason we can't get 4th. As with every season though ,the initial target will be 10th.

Glad someone brought this up. The way people talk about Hibs on here is baffling. They went down because they were rubbish, and that's now two successive lower league campaigns where they've failed to mount a challenge for the title. Next season could well be a third for them - and if they stay down they won't have it easy with potentially Dundee Utd and Falkirk down there beside them. They could conceivably be in that league for a while yet. Apparently, though, they're brilliant and we should be terrified of being in the same division as them.

I'd wager that Hibs won't even manage promotion this year, Falkirk appear to be a far better footballing side that over the course of two legs would put Hibs to the sword. Hibs are the ultimate bottle merchants and have proved that time and time again, this season included. Just look at what happened to their title challenge, they've gone from pushing The Rangers every weekend to celebrating a last minute equalizer against 7th placed St Mirren! Not to mention the League Cup they had in the bag before they even played us... Play Hibs at the business end of the season and they are almost guaranteed to hand you the win

Edited by SaintDougie

Christ. Hibs aren't half built up to well beyond what they are. They're third behind Falkirk in the championship ffs. :laugh:

Played us off the park? They needed a dodgy penalty to beat us, and we were awful that day too, with 3 players rushed back from injury and MOH who had already moved to rangers in his head. 

Edited by Kyle