Synthetic Pitch - is it time?

Gas Monkey

HSF it is not set down in stone we could set the calendar to suit ourselves.

January to December is crazy having December and January off with games from July to nov and Feb to end of may would suit. Some more midweek league games in better weather would help us aswell

Apologies quote button is playing silly buggers again. 

Edited by mainstand

Summer football would run from January to December using the current fixture list and Euros this season. It's not workable.

well, aye it could be workable. if the English Premiership can exist when the African Cup of Nations is on, I'm sure the SPFL can survive the European Championships. Even with the plethora of distinguished internationalists plying their trade in our leagues.

Edited by fazman1977

There might be a benefit as seen in rugby. The top, or wealthiest, teams have to think more about their signing policy as in rugby clubs often lose their top players for periods when they are away on international duty. They therefore can't just simply load their teams with all the top players

Have some people not seen the weather we have had past 4 months? Bad enough working on a golf course that's not opened yet never mind a football pitch. Chris is limited to what he can do. You have to remember there is only 2 guys doing the work. The pitch should be used for 1st team games only. New grounds man at Firpark demanded that happened and look how well the pitch is doing there. Chris asked for it to be 1st team games and the answer was no! 

Have some people not seen the weather we have had past 4 months? Bad enough working on a golf course that's not opened yet never mind a football pitch. Chris is limited to what he can do. You have to remember there is only 2 guys doing the work. The pitch should be used for 1st team games only. New grounds man at Firpark demanded that happened and look how well the pitch is doing there. Chris asked for it to be 1st team games and the answer was no! 

What other games are being played there?

He spends more time on the Pitch than anybody else with his Pitchfork prodding and jabbing.!Especially if its on the Telly.!LAUGH OUT LOUD He does however cut a mean Pattern when the conditions allow.!

In the news today, "are the rubber pellets in the artificial pitches likely to cause cancer"?

This was in the papers last week but they said that the cancer risk was in the tyres used in America and not in UK. Something to do with a chemical they use in rubber in USA. Lets face it they blame cancer on everything at some point in time.

Discussion on Sportsound earlier with some player on saying he'd played at Cliftonhill last week and it was a "complete bog" but he'd far rather play on that than the best synthetic surface.

That just strikes me as utter stupidity. Certainly as a spectator it isn't better to watch.

interestingly they had some rugby guys on as wel and they all said they far prefer the artificial surfaces.

I have witnessed many a great game played on pitches far far from perfect

games on artificial surfaces feel sterile to me, and I hate them

And you can get really crap artificial surfaces too - look at the many complaints about Killie and Hamiltons pitches - they won't recover over the summer like grass has a chance to

Discussion on Sportsound earlier with some player on saying he'd played at Cliftonhill last week and it was a "complete bog" but he'd far rather play on that than the best synthetic surface.

That just strikes me as utter stupidity. Certainly as a spectator it isn't better to watch.

interestingly they had some rugby guys on as wel and they all said they far prefer the artificial surfaces.

If Waghorn hadnt dived he wouldnt have injured himself.

When anyone talks about synthetic pitches, they always try to see the worst in the worst examples to make their case against them.  I'm no expert, but I'm pretty sure there are better solutions available than Killie and Hamilton's.  However, both of those make Montrose's pitch look awful (which it is).  I'd really love to see a proper rational analysis of the available options before making my mind up.

We're one of two Premiership sides (alongside Partick) to apparently have been in touch with Accies chairman Les Gray about the complete costs and required work in installing an artificial surface. 

Theres no concrete source for it, but its interesting we're being named.

Why would Saints contact Hamilton when we already have a surface next to the stadium? Saints will know all about the installation of an artificial pitch but the comments from Tommy Wright last week made it pretty clear that we won't be putting one in. Saints have been specifically critical of Hamilton's pitch as well, so would surely approach someone like Kilmarnock or Falkirk instead, if they were to speak to another club.

Even aside from the manager's own views, most clubs put them in for community reasons but we already get those benefits from the pitch next to the stadium.

Concrete or not, what is your source for this?

Edited by krm81

Well yeah, I said there was no concrete source for it. What do you think that means exactly?

That there is slightly more to it than one fan speculating.

Do you think Saints have contacted a club whose pitch they have been critical of about installing one? Your answer has as much authority as the other fan.

That there is slightly more to it than one fan speculating.

Do you think Saints have contacted a club whose pitch they have been critical of about installing one? Your answer has as much authority as the other fan.

I've no idea if we have. TW was obviously critical of the pitches but if Brown looks at it and decides its financially the best option for the club then he'll do it, regardless of TWs views.