Saints vs Hibs LC Semi 30/01

David123

Mackay, Millar and Muzz were all described as "serious doubts" by TW yesterday, not convinced he's one to get overly deep into that style of mind game. Muzz is the biggest one to miss, but I reckon him and Mackay will find a way to play (pretty frustrating we never actually got told what sort of injuries they had though)

Being the optimist I am I'd line up...

Mannus

Mackay - Anderson - Joe - Easton

O'Halloran - Wotherspoon - Muzz - Lappin

MacLean - Cummins

I do prefer Craig to Lappin, but Lappin seems a "big game" player who'll be solid throughout, Liams passion could easily see him try far too hard to prove a point to Hibs and throw himself into something stupid. Would stress that Radford made a very good point on P&B that Hibs weakness is the centre halves who are both tragically slow, while the full backs seem told to push up, which is very similar to the weaknesses Rangers had, so O'Halloran up front might not be the most surprising thing. Would be interesting to see if we went with Thomson on the right in that case, or Spoony with Craig/Lappin central.

Pretty sure TW stated that it was a Hip injury that Muzz and Cuptie were suffering from, I dont think we need to worry about Muzz, we all know he will run through a brick wall to play so would be amazed if he doesn't make it.   Cuptie seems less likely, he reckons its a wee flare up from the operation he had at the start of the season caused by the sh*tty weather of late meaning they have been training a lot on the Astro surface.  If he doesn't make it then we know that Joe will be an able replacement in that role, although i would rather see him start in the middle of the defence for this one.  

It's probably safe to assume Millar won't make it and in all honesty if him rushing back means a more prolonged spell out further down the line I would rather he didn't. He's had his problems with injuries this season so if he needs time, give him time. MacKay is replaceable (in the nicest possible way) but Davidson would be a huge loss. He is the one player in our team that is irreplaceable. That poses the question - do we need to sign someone like him? Or is he the kind of player a club like Saints can't really afford two of? Anyway, on the assumption he can start:

Mannus

Shaughnessey Anderson Scobbie Easton

O'Halloran Wotherspoon Davidson Craig/Lappin

MacLean Cummins

I would rather see Shaughnessey play central but if MacKay is unavailable that means playing Fisher which is a big no no for me. I would prefer to see Craig starting but can't call that one from the managers point of view. I think Craig is a better option off the bench than Lappin is but Craig works harder back to front and supports Easton much better so ultimately I would start him.

I think this is going to be a difficult game for us and we definitely shouldn't look upon Hibs as a Championship team as they are only that in name. Hibs are a good team with some dangerous players. I think John Hughes hit the nail on the head ahead of Inverness' replay a couple of weeks ago though. In these kinds of games the difference can be attitude rather than ability. If I'm being honest I think they've probably got a better squad than us but we have been here before and we have won massive games against teams with better players and bigger budgets. Aberdeen were - and still are - better than us but we beat them in the Scottish Cup semi final and thrashed them 5-1 at Pittodrie earlier in the season. I don't like to acknowledge the existence of Rangers let alone think about the possibility that they are better than us but in all honesty they've also probably got a better squad. However, we (Tommy Wright) knows how to study a teams strengths and weaknesses and seems to know how to set us up to nullify their strengths and exploit their weaknesses. I think an obvious weakness in Hibs' team is Lewis Stevenson at left back. He's not a sluggish carthorse so they will probably feel he can keep up with MOH but he spends a lot of time very high up the pitch. If he does that, it will leave huge gaps for Mikey similar to those he exploited at Ibrox and that will drag their centre halves out. Stevenson has never looked like a full back to me. David Gray on the other side is a much more accomplished defender but also gets forward a lot. It would not massively surprise me if Millar makes it for us to see this midfield and forward line:

Wotherspoon Millar Davidson Craig

O'Halloran MacLean

Very similar to the team that played against Rangers at Ibrox. O'Halloran chopping between a very advanced wide midfield role feeding Macca at the front post or up front with MacLean sitting deeper knocking it forward for him. I think if Millar is out then we would probably go for the more standard first option at the top. Can't decide if I'm dreading this match or looking forward to it. Part of me doesn't dare to look forward to it to avoid disappointment.

I think this is going to be a difficult game for us and we definitely shouldn't look upon Hibs as a Championship team as they are only that in name. Hibs are a good team with some dangerous players. I think John Hughes hit the nail on the head ahead of Inverness' replay a couple of weeks ago though. In these kinds of games the difference can be attitude rather than ability. If I'm being honest I think they've probably got a better squad than us but we have been here before and we have won massive games against teams with better players and bigger budgets.

I'd agree that Hibs are a good team with some dangerous players (Cummings and Stokes will be extremely dangerous) - but I'm not sure I buy the idea that they've necessarily got a better squad than us. Of their starting XI on Saturday against St Mirren, four were relegated with Hibs two years ago, one was relegated with St Mirren last season and several of the remainder have only ever played for them in the Championship, many coming from a background of kicking about the English lower leagues.

They will be a good side, they will have players who can hurt us, but I don't think we need to build them up as being a better squad than us!

I'd agree that Hibs are a good team with some dangerous players (Cummings and Stokes will be extremely dangerous) - but I'm not sure I buy the idea that they've necessarily got a better squad than us. Of their starting XI on Saturday against St Mirren, four were relegated with Hibs two years ago, one was relegated with St Mirren last season and several of the remainder have only ever played for them in the Championship, many coming from a background of kicking about the English lower leagues.

They will be a good side, they will have players who can hurt us, but I don't think we need to build them up as being a better squad than us!

Agree here. Also I think our mentality going in to a game like this will be key. It's been noted earlier, we have big game experience and we are winners. Long gone have the days when we waddled up to big games knowing we were going to put up an admirable fight but would ultimately fail. The fans should believe this too; I've been coming back from neutral venues with my tail between my legs enough times for a lifetime.

We are not the soft touch we were back then guys. We are St.Johnstone.

Maybe not the first team player for player but I do think the strength in depth of their squad is probably better. Bearing in mind they've just released Dominique Malonga because they couldn't guarantee him regular first team football.

I won't make this game due to family commitments.

So if someone could shout "Stokes! You're a c*nt!" On my behalf I'd appreciate it.

I'll try my best. Usually at these games it some poor sod who's not been to many games who ends up next to me, and they end up aghast at the amount of abuse spouted towards refs/opposition players. 

Challenge Cup Final I jamp up and down after every goal and proceeded to stamp on the guy beside mes feet and also smack them with an elbow to the face.

Maybe not the first team player for player but I do think the strength in depth of their squad is probably better. Bearing in mind they've just released Dominique Malonga because they couldn't guarantee him regular first team football.

Aye, and resigned Kevin Thomson as a replacement!!!

Club without ambition? 

Obviously decided at this early stage that they won't be promoted.