Saints vs Hibs LC Semi 30/01

David123

we were never realy in the game today and hibs bossed us for the whole 90 mins and the only good  point was joe at center back superb i fear that dave mckays best days are past now and tommy wright will have to sign a lot of new faces come the 2016 /17 season

we were never realy in the game today and hibs bossed us for the whole 90 mins and the only good  point was joe at center back superb i fear that dave mckays best days are past now and tommy wright will have to sign a lot of new faces come the 2016 /17 season

I kind a know what you Mean Rebel, but I do think we were in the game even although we were second best in most positions across the park Joe and Ando were passes, the reason I say we were in the game is we could have with a bit of luck scored another two goals there today we maybe would not have deserved it but Lappins cross/shot came of the bar and Joes second half header was goal bound as was a Ando shot.    

Another exit from the diddy cup at the semi final stage .! Starting to hate the Roseburn stand now.!  Saints seem really low in confidence right at the minute.Hope they dont look in here or the will hit skid row.!LAUGH OUT LOUD.At least we have good memories of humping the the at home.!  Cant believe that Zippy never got thrown into the fray before John Sutton.! He must be gutted or "Injured"....  Just need to focus on Europe "Again".! 

Windy conditions made playing  good football difficult but Hibs adapted far better than Saints and deserved win .Just watched the Penalty on highlights and although it looks like their was no contact I can understand why ref gave the decision. It is allways dangerous to  stick your foot in then take it away like Miller did and unless the ref has the perfect angle a penalty is very often given. Thought Joe was great but the rest very average.

Obv didn't say this before the match, but it felt like we invited the loss, that it was somehow what we expected. I personally didn't expect to win....don't know why, just that gut feeling..............

I think I know what you mean spazz.  from what I saw all week the talk was of tickets, tickets...moh ..and more tickets.  Sometimes circumstances appear to give the players every excuse to lose.  Since when was being outnumbered 4-1 an issue for the Perth Saints?  

That said, so far Hibs have put out the teams who finished 2nd, 4th, and 5th last season, pretty tough cup run...respect! 

Thought we might see MOH up top today but it just didn't work and TW should've seen that. I know his hand was forced with two of the substitutions but what an absolute joke bringing on Sutton at the end. Cummins is an infinitely better player who has actually produced results this season. MOH should've been sent to right midfield and Cummins on with at least 30 minutes to go. 

My biggest gripe with TW and his tactics are that he is reactive instead of proactive. He waits and waits, usually until we go behind before making any changes. You could argue before Hibs scored the second that actually we looked the more likely to score but it was just not quite there. So he just sat on it waiting for it to come instead of forcing the issue. That is very frustrating for me. Shifting MOH back to his preferred position and bringing Cummins on while we were on top and we could've buried them. 

Felt Mannus should've done much better with that shot but once again we let someone take a shot without closing down. There is one positive I can take from that crap - Joe Shaughnessey was fantastic and thank god we've found out how good he is at CH. 

Super post Sam.  Shaugnessy has had a great season and in my opinion has a great shout to be next season's club captain.  Totally agree about Mannus, he has not had a greeat season overall.  Why Sutton came on instead of Zippy is  mystery.  Sutton looking as awful as Iwelumo.

Onwards comrades...

I didn't feel the desire or determination this week from anyone.  The O'Halloran pish from Sevco and the lack of commitment from the club to keep him at all costs (in fact effectively saying £600k and we don't care about reaching the cup final) along with being royally rogered by the SPFL over tickets left me feeling totally underwhelmed,  

I had hoped that Tommy was working behind the scenes and would have the players fired up for this, and I had faith that those with tickets would make one hell of a racket, but then we fielded a negative lineup with 2 unfit central midfielders against a pacey Hibs side.  

glad Shaughnessy showed up or we could have had a humping.

Then, to compound the misery, we made negative substitutions (Easton one aside - it was forced), when we had three potential match winners on the bench in Thomson, Kane and mainly Cummins.

Not a happy Saintee.  

All the best to Hibs though, they sounded right up for the fight today, and I hope they win the cup (and the Championship).

Not got much to add, we're all agreed on most things.

Thought it was a definite pen from my angle, our equaliser was sublime, don't know where their second goal came from etc.

The better team won, I'm just getting fed up being beaten by teams that get forward by playing passing football while we continue to just hoof it up the park and hope for the best.

And Joe Shaughnessy is one of the best players I've seen at Saints for a long time. As for some of the old guard....

Not got much to add, we're all agreed on most things.

Thought it was a definite pen from my angle, our equaliser was sublime, don't know where their second goal came from etc.

The better team won, I'm just getting fed up being beaten by teams that get forward by playing passing football while we continue to just hoof it up the park and hope for the best.

And Joe Shaughnessy is one of the best players I've seen at Saints for a long time. As for some of the old guard....

Certain individuals of the old guard were very poor. An insistance of almost sentimental qualities, will be to the detriment of our club if we are not careful.

I didn't feel the desire or determination this week from anyone.  The O'Halloran pish from Sevco and the lack of commitment from the club to keep him at all costs (in fact effectively saying £600k and we don't care about reaching the cup final) along with being royally rogered by the SPFL over tickets left me feeling totally underwhelmed,  

I had hoped that Tommy was working behind the scenes and would have the players fired up for this, and I had faith that those with tickets would make one hell of a racket, but then we fielded a negative lineup with 2 unfit central midfielders against a pacey Hibs side.  

glad Shaughnessy showed up or we could have had a humping.

Then, to compound the misery, we made negative substitutions (Easton one aside - it was forced), when we had three potential match winners on the bench in Thomson, Kane and mainly Cummins.

Not a happy Saintee.  

All the best to Hibs though, they sounded right up for the fight today, and I hope they win the cup (and the Championship).

Montrose, Kane wasn't  even on the  bench! Why, does anyone  know. I would  had Cummins on at some point,  Kane should have been an option unless  he was unfit. Sutton ffs. Plan b and c didn't  work TW. Too many not 100% fit and Spoony  had a terrible game and should have been subbed

Sutton taking some pretty unfair stick. In his cameo role he managed to play a nice ball into Maclean who then should have found Craig in the clear but his pass was awful and he also slipped O'Halloran in behind who should have squared or at least hit the target.

I can think of several players who deserve more stick than Sutton. Maybe I don't rate him but he only gets wheeled out when we're playing shite and we have to resort to punting it into the box. The last few times hes been brought on he's very nearly scored (Hamilton and Kilmarnock). 

Scape goat.

Sutton taking some pretty unfair stick. In his cameo role he managed to play a nice ball into Maclean who then should have found Craig in the clear but his pass was awful and he also slipped O'Halloran in behind who should have squared or at least hit the target.

I can think of several players who deserve more stick than Sutton. Maybe I don't rate him but he only gets wheeled out when we're playing shite and we have to resort to punting it into the box. The last few times hes been brought on he's very nearly scored (Hamilton and Kilmarnock). 

Scape goat.

not criticising Sutton, I still rate him, but we seem incapable of playing to his strengths as a team. Bringing him on for the last 10 minutes today was crazy, he was never going to score, whereas Thomson or Cummins might have done.

criticism is at the manager for a feeble attempt at rescuing the game.

Edited by montrosesaintee

Oh.. just home. Watched the highlights.. penalty or dive, what I seen was one team with desire and ours with less. Too few stepped up, it's like a distant memory what step is needed for cup final.

Tactics and team selection still puzzles me.

Pretty poor game all round.  Wasn't a great watch.  Good luck Hibs, you'll bloody need it, you boys weren't much better.

Probably nothing new to add...

i thought Hibs were far better than us and thoroughly deserved their victory.  The majority of our play was punts up the park and feeding off scraps.. If that is the tactic then have a target man up there.

Tommy is a tactician and tries to work out opponents, and obviously felt O'Halloran through the middle was the way forward.  Fair enough, it's worked in the past, but it clearly wasn't working today.  We did very little first half, started the second brighter but then Hibs took over.  I felt it was crying out to change something but it seemed to be a case of wait and see, and hoping something happened... As mentioned, reactive not proactive. The Hibs second goal had been coming for a while.

Hibs have a lot of energetic players who like to run with the ball,  but I felt they also looked hungrier and sharper when closing us down, which was really disappointing.

i think the Saints support was really up for it today, if we'd been given a sustained period of good play or a few chances to get excited about the momentum would really have built.  Instead the game just fizzled out and I never felt we would get back into it.

It might happen yet, but I do feel we need a new face in the first team squad to freshen things up a bit and add a bit of competition.  We need a wee boost as we've been struggling for a good few games now.  Every player we get linked with seems to be a wide player.. Is this really what we need??  A CM who can run with the ball and create a bit would add variety to our game.

I always feel so frustrated at semi finals against non-old firm opponents, it just feels like such a good opportunity, and sadly we didn't get going at all today.  Still, back to aberdeen next week in the league...

What a let down that was.  Never in it and while the penalty incident left a sour taste in the mouth, Hibs clearly deserved to win on the day.  I saw somewhere (can't remember if it was on here?) us being linked with Dylan McGeough.  Hope it's true on today's evidence.