Alan Mannus: past his best?

Wee Mental Davie

For what it's worth I was impressed by what I saw of Zander and he has definitely git the edge in terms of distribution and makes a he'll of a difference in terms of territory having a keeper who can nearly reach the edge of the opposition box, that's pretty much how Hibs second goal last weekend came about and something Mannus cannot do. He also fails to command his area which is surprising for such a strong guy. I do feel it might be time to give Clark a go, want to see the second goal today again as looked like it went right under him.

• Goal 1 - not on manus
  • Goal 2 - not on manus - deflection, watch body try to switch left. 
  • Goal 3 - not on manus
  • Goal 4 - deflection off heal and bad bounce I think, maybe could have done better

I don't think today's goals show poor form if thats up for debate. Maybe some keepers would have pulled out a spectacular save, who knows.

(Manus expats POTY - undroppable hero)

• Goal 1 - not on manus
  • Goal 2 - not on manus - deflection, watch body try to switch left. 
  • Goal 3 - not on manus
  • Goal 4 - deflection off heal and bad bounce I think, maybe could have done better

I don't think today's goals show poor form if thats up for debate. Maybe some keepers would have pulled out a spectacular save, who knows.

(Manus expats POTY - undroppable hero)

He's a great keeper but he is a going through a very poor spell. my biggest issue with him is he refuses to come for any crosses or come off his line when his goal is being attacked. He reminds me of a goalie on a stick at times

He is definitely not playing aswell now or is as commanding as he has been over the last few years, a shaky defence certainly doesn't help but then a shaky goalkeeper doesn't help a defence either. Complacency or confidence, I don't know what it is but it is certainly a drop in form.

More teams than ever before play their 2nd choice keeper every now and then, usually in the cups, but it is something that we have rarely seen at McD. Maybe it's time it happened more often even if to keep the number 1 choice on his toes. 

correct decision though. Does something well and still looking for negatives. If that's what hesitation is.  Kicking was good again. 

Look at my posts- I'm completely in agreement Mannus is a great keeper and will return to form, but I will say what I see. He is making mistakes at the moment.

must of missed his alertness running out the box to make a clearance. Don't think he is doing much wrong today. Feck all chance with the group of players in front of him failing to do basics today. Maybe we need to prevent silly fouls outside the box?

If that was the one in the last minute, he dithered for a few seconds before coming for it and, in the end, only just got there. I think his confidence is low, which is leading to him taking just a split second too long to make a decision.

Rather than comparing Mannus to fifa16 or EPL keepers maybe the comparison should be to the same standard.

Watch the Hearts Hibs game today and see if the 2 keepers are any better than ours.  

Watch the defences and see if they give their goalie enough cover and protection. 

Tbh apart from Craig Gordon, (who is getting some stick for not commanding his area and coming for crosses) all the rest of the keepers are pretty much the same standard. 

Whilst Mannus looks scared to come of his line at crosses, I've been saying all season that he doesn't get enough protection from our defenders at corners. The opposition put a player on top of him to block him and we don't do enough to get that player out of mannus' way. Easton goes and stands next to him, but to me he should be getting himself between the striker and mannus and clearing him out the way to allow mannus a clearer path to the ball. 

I think Mannus's form is very much down to the many changes there has been in our defence. For a long time I think we all took McKay Ando Wright for granted. Probably didn't realise what a good defence we actually had.

In fairness we probably had the best of Wright but I think Mannus was a better keeper when he had Wright in front of him.

A good keeper doesn't turn in to a bad keeper overnight, I just think our previous defence made life easy for him, I think recently he is being called to do more!? 

Rather than comparing Mannus to fifa16 or EPL keepers maybe the comparison should be to the same standard.

Watch the Hearts Hibs game today and see if the 2 keepers are any better than ours.  

Watch the defences and see if they give their goalie enough cover and protection. 

Tbh apart from Craig Gordon, (who is getting some stick for not commanding his area and coming for crosses) all the rest of the keepers are pretty much the same standard. 

Look at Jamie MacDonald at Kilmarnock. He single handedly won them that game against us in the Scottish Cup with some out of this world saves and did the same against Rangers yesterday. Rangers absolutely pummelled Killie and regularly breached the defence with ease but came up against a goalkeeper at the top of his game. He's helping them to win matches and keeping them in games. That's exactly what Craig Gordon does at Celtic. 

I'm a big fan of Allan Mannus and have had no issue with Wright showing him some loyalty by continuing to pick him. He's not making glaring errors but I also don't think he's in the mould of the two keepers above at the moment. The shaky defence excuse only goes so far when you look at the number of goals Killie have conceded (more than us) and yet MacDonald still looks like a fantastic goalkeeper. He's doing his job well in spite of the defence in front of him. Mannus is off form and should be rested. 

Look at Jamie MacDonald at Kilmarnock. He single handedly won them that game against us in the Scottish Cup with some out of this world saves and did the same against Rangers yesterday. Rangers absolutely pummelled Killie and regularly breached the defence with ease but came up against a goalkeeper at the top of his game. He's helping them to win matches and keeping them in games. That's exactly what Craig Gordon does at Celtic. 

I'm a big fan of Allan Mannus and have had no issue with Wright showing him some loyalty by continuing to pick him. He's not making glaring errors but I also don't think he's in the mould of the two keepers above at the moment. The shaky defence excuse only goes so far when you look at the number of goals Killie have conceded (more than us) and yet MacDonald still looks like a fantastic goalkeeper. He's doing his job well in spite of the defence in front of him. Mannus is off form and should be rested. 

there was a time when Mannus was doing the same and getting plaudits.  What people are saying, or maybe looking for blame for our recent form. Has he been playing any worse than earlier in the season. I don't think so.  It's just it's being highlighted when we've went on a really bad run. Mistakes elsewhere on the pitch has cost us the majority of goals, not the man between the sticks.  

Being a ex keeper myself, in my youth:cool:, I thought my defence was there to protect me.  Mannus may not be one of the best in the world, but he will only return to form when the rest of team do and Tommy final stops being the tinker man. 

I totally agree with that. Sort out defence and mannus will get more confident so will the rest of the team in my opinion 

He is definitely not playing aswell now or is as commanding as he has been over the last few years, a shaky defence certainly doesn't help but then a shaky goalkeeper doesn't help a defence either. Complacency or confidence, I don't know what it is but it is certainly a drop in form.

More teams than ever before play their 2nd choice keeper every now and then, usually in the cups, but it is something that we have rarely seen at McD. Maybe it's time it happened more often even if to keep the number 1 choice on his toes. 

Good point  about playing your number 2 keeper in cup games.  I don't think it would do any harm to make Clark our first choice keeper for   all league cup matches next season. It would give him more first team experience and keep Mannus on his toes. 

Good point  about playing your number 2 keeper in cup games.  I don't think it would do any harm to make Clark our first choice keeper for   all league cup matches next season. It would give him more first team experience and keep Mannus on his toes. 

Surely if TW reckons we have two first team keepers then Clark should get a chance this season as Mannus is not being effective in preventing goals.

As others have stated he does not command his area and his distribution is slow allowing opposing team to cover up.

your statement seems to suggest that Mannus should automatically be first choice for the rest of this season and next year?

Not on current form and probably why he is third choice for his country.

Defence has to take some of the blame as 3 of the goals came from their left & free kick was in that area as well. Fisher seems to be getting some support from fans & he never got any support from Spoony but you can't take away from the fact that maybe these crosses should not have come in.

Having said all that 3 of the goals came at the far post. It is up to the goalie to cut these out ,either with feet or dive as the defenders are facing their own goal.

Surely if TW reckons we have two first team keepers then Clark should get a chance this season as Mannus is not being effective in preventing goals.

As others have stated he does not command his area and his distribution is slow allowing opposing team to cover up.

your statement seems to suggest that Mannus should automatically be first choice for the rest of this season and next year?

Not on current form and probably why he is third choice for his country.

Ok, I'll agree with you on Mannus is poor at commanding his area at set pieces and slow at distribution. Re the using the number 2 keeper in league cup matches. I still think it's a good idea, whoever that 2nd choice keeper will be is anyone's guess.  I also agree with your comment about TW saying he has two number 1 keepers so perhaps Clark will get his chance this season or next season. 

Just watched the highlights and don't think he was at fault for any of the goals but still don't think he commands his area enough. The free kick and the 3rd goals both took deflections. Regarding his presence at set pieces I think it's clearly a confidence issue with the defence that's in front of him.

Edited by Markinch Saint