Hooliganism in Scottish Football

Tranmere Saintee

Whit? There is clearly a mentality amongst a large number of football fans that hooliganism and casuals are 'cool'. Saints are as bad for it as any, including some former/current posters.

You can clearly see at any home game, no matter how small the opposition, a number of lads strolling about with patches they bought on ebay sewn onto the arms of their asda jumpers looking proud that old ladies are scared of them. 

The fact they mostly stick to posturing rather than the hooliganism of old is a source of comfort but shouldn't be one of complacency. 

The whole facial recognition idea is a farce due to costs, but I personally find the idea that all football fans are treated like criminals as a laughable fallacy perpetuated by morons

The brief bit I saw reckoned there were 28 clubs with known groups causing problems (i.e. pre-arranged fights miles from grounds and hours before games), 7 clubs with known individuals and 7 clubs who are free of trouble. The police guy being interviewed seemed rather embarrassed when admitting the incidents were very few and far between but there was no room for complacency. 

Whit? There is clearly a mentality amongst a large number of football fans that hooliganism and casuals are 'cool'. Saints are as bad for it as any, including some former/current posters.

You can clearly see at any home game, no matter how small the opposition, a number of lads strolling about with patches they bought on ebay sewn onto the arms of their asda jumpers looking proud that old ladies are scared of them. 

The fact they mostly stick to posturing rather than the hooliganism of old is a source of comfort but shouldn't be one of complacency. 

The whole facial recognition idea is a farce due to costs, but I personally find the idea that all football fans are treated like criminals as a laughable fallacy perpetuated by morons

I am in agreement with a lot of your comment, though I seemed to have missed the lads with the Asda jumpers.

Your last paragraph however had me thinking about the times I watched Pompey when I lived in Hampshire.

O.K. There was bother with rival fans, however the Polis DID treat ordinary fans like criminals.

I realise this was many years ago, but there's nothing to say it couldn't happen here, after Police Scotlands track record of late.

Edited by HOODLUM65

Rant mode engaged. If a few young lads have a fight, and then in the next week, each of them goes to the toilet, does Scotland have a problem with toilet hooliganism? 

I suppose it is connected with football as they connect themselves to whatever team they support, not to whether their toilet is white or green or whatever

If it's happening miles away from football stadiums, I think it's a bit of a leap to describe it as "football clubs suffering from organised hooliganism".

Have to say I've never, ever encountered anything I'd describe as hooliganism, in close to 30 years of going to matches. That includes games up and down the divisions in both Scotland and England, international games, a couple of World Cups and a good few games abroad. I guess it does actually exist somewhere, but I'm inclined to think most of it has bugger all to do with actual football supporters.

Closest I've come to it would be one time when I saw a drunk Stoke fan attempt to fight a horse. Not sure that counts as "organised" though. Unless it was pre-arranged with the horse over the internet.

Have to say I've never, ever encountered anything I'd describe as hooliganism, in close to 30 years of going to matches. That includes games up and down the divisions in both Scotland and England, international games, a couple of World Cups and a good few games abroad. I guess it does actually exist somewhere, but I'm inclined to think most of it has bugger all to do with actual football supporters.

I've seen plenty; at Saints games home and away, local matches in Aberdeen and Glasgow (when I lived there), and at internationals.

The very worst after the last Scotland England game at Hampden in the Rous Cup. I thought the fan violence was bad, but the polis that day took no prisoners.

I've seen plenty; at Saints games home and away, local matches in Aberdeen and Glasgow (when I lived there), and at internationals.

The very worst after the last Scotland England game at Hampden in the Rous Cup. I thought the fan violence was bad, but the polis that day took no prisoners.

I was at that game. The England National Front type fans were all "we're gonna give them Scots wankers a doing" for weeks beforehand. The Glasgow polis took a few of the worst aside and gave them a well deserved doing. The trouble stopped, they never came back. Result. Spent 6 hours on a train with one of them the next day. The little fascist, who'd spent the night in the cells, never stopped shaking until he got over the border. Excellent.

If it's happening miles away from football stadiums, I think it's a bit of a leap to describe it as "football clubs suffering from organised hooliganism".

Closest I've come to it would be one time when I saw a drunk Stoke fan attempt to fight a horse. Not sure that counts as "organised" though. Unless it was pre-arranged with the horse over the internet.

my 1 incident involved a police horse too at Hampden . Standing in the train queue it whipped me right in the eyeball with its tail. #banthehorses

my 1 incident involved a police horse too at Hampden . Standing in the train queue it whipped me right in the eyeball with its tail. #banthehorses

Police horse stood on my mates foot when queuing up to get into Scotland v France at Hampden. Oh ya effin barstad he shouts, and the polis eventually nicked him for swearing. They left him cooking in a van until after the game had started then let him out so he could see the game. Foot turned out to be broken.

By the vast majority of posts on here you boys wouldn't know what was happening until it's under your nose. St Johnstone are lucky, not had proper casuals since the early 90s although some have tried their best. Not likely to have any in the future either as it's jailbait material. 

Nothing to worry about at Saints although the cheap shot about asda jumpers is just stupidity by a moron poster.

By the vast majority of posts on here you boys wouldn't know what was happening until it's under your nose. St Johnstone are lucky, not had proper casuals since the early 90s although some have tried their best. Not likely to have any in the future either as it's jailbait material. 

Nothing to worry about at Saints although the cheap shot about asda jumpers is just stupidity by a moron poster.

Aww diddums. I might have just been praising their financial nous in not wasting money on crap jumpers. Grow up you pathetic little weasel

Aww diddums. I might have just been praising their financial nous in not wasting money on crap jumpers. Grow up you pathetic little weasel

pathetic little weasel? You really are a charmer. I'll be in the east stand,yellow seats, scoreboard end near the back,come say hi at next game please.

I'll wear an asda jumper.

I'll wear an asda jumper.

I can see how you may have found that specific aspect of my post offensive and apologise for just that section if it was taken in that way. I'd rather see someone wearing Asda than stone Island and was mocking the idea of pretending to wear expensive casuals uniforms rather than shopping at supermarkets itself. Stand by the rest though including my views on your reply