Saints v Motherwell 20/02/16

glenrothes saintee

If we can't win this one then I fear for the rest of the season.  I pray that Tommy picks the strongest team possible and that the players know what they are supposed to do.

2-0 home win and an end to this miserable run of form. 

Dont think I've been to a game this year but plan to be in attendance this Saturday. COYS

If we can't win this one then I fear for the rest of the season.  I pray that Tommy picks the strongest team possible and that the players know what they are supposed to do.

2-0 home win and an end to this miserable run of form. 

Dont think I've been to a game this year but plan to be in attendance this Saturday. COYS

I worry that Tommy's "strongest team" is becoming entrenched in misplaced loyalty. Time for change.

Thomson, Kane, have to start for me. No point in going on about Mannus he's turned in to 'Teflon Don'.

Strange that everyone is high on getting Thomson in the team but TW doesn't give him a shot. Surely after his recent showing in the development league he must be close to getting a start.

I also see everyone jumping over themselves to signing some new faces, (real quality) who are training with us; I'm not holding my breath.  I think we better stick to what we know just now. Looking for the magic bullet to suddenly turn us in to a top three team is pie in the sky. Again, our manager states that we have not become a bad team overnight so by that logic we should be producing better results than we have in the last 6 weeks. Loss of form, unfortunate intervention from outside agencies, bad pitches -  whatever -   Tommy and Callum need to start earning their corn and turning this team around. 

Strange that everyone is high on getting Thomson in the team but TW doesn't give him a shot. Surely after his recent showing in the development league he must be close to getting a start.

I also see everyone jumping over themselves to signing some new faces, (real quality) who are training with us; I'm not holding my breath.  I think we better stick to what we know just now. Looking for the magic bullet to suddenly turn us in to a top three team is pie in the sky. Again, our manager states that we have not become a bad team overnight so by that logic we should be producing better results than we have in the last 6 weeks. Loss of form, unfortunate intervention from outside agencies, bad pitches -  whatever -   Tommy and Callum need to start earning their corn and turning this team around. 

I wished I lived in your world! We have not become a bad team overnight, we have become a terrible team! Not freshening up the team with some quality will see us in the play off place. I'm just angry that it has taken until now for the board and management to recognise how short in quality we are and how close we might have been to another top three or four finish with just a little bit of ambition. 

I wished I lived in your world! We have not become a bad team overnight, we have become a terrible team! Not freshening up the team with some quality will see us in the play off place. I'm just angry that it has taken until now for the board and management to recognise how short in quality we are and how close we might have been to another top three or four finish with just a little bit of ambition. 

Please take the time to read the post, it will help you when you respond.

I quoted our manager who stated "we have not become a bad team overnight". No disrespect but unless you are Jose Mourinho I still trust his judgement before yours.

We have been terrible the last six weeks I've watched them all. I'm all in favor of freshening things up with better players but your kidding yourself if you think we can field a new player who has just been five minutes in Perth and he is going to change our whole team overnight. These players need time to settle in adopt our style of game. You only need to look at the Terrors bringing in all and sundry to try and get a spark and it has just not happened.

We have good players who not long ago took us within touching distance of Aberdeen in the league; they are off form and for me the biggest thing is they are not as industrious on the park. Our fringe players are deserving of an opportunity and if these new "stars" come in and help once they have come to grip with our game all the better. 

We haven't taken the lead in a game since 5th December at Ross County....  The last time we won.  Let's get ahead and give ourselves something to build on.  As soon as we fall behind we are susceptible to the counter attack.  Even play it very cautious and safe for the first 20 minutes.

we need one of our centre midfielders to sit the whole game, no going forward in support as the lack of protection for the defence has been an issue.

in October (ish) of both 2014 and 2015 we had big games at home to Motherwell where we were on dreadful runs and in danger of dropping to the foot of the table.  We won the first 2-1 with O'Halloran finally coming good that season and scoring two great goals.  This season Maclean scored both as we also won 2-1.

the only negative is that we fell a goal behind in both games!!

We haven't taken the lead in a game since 5th December at Ross County....  The last time we won.  Let's get ahead and give ourselves something to build on.  As soon as we fall behind we are susceptible to the counter attack.  Even play it very cautious and safe for the first 20 minutes.

we need one of our centre midfielders to sit the whole game, no going forward in support as the lack of protection for the defence has been an issue.

in October (ish) of both 2014 and 2015 we had big games at home to Motherwell where we were on dreadful runs and in danger of dropping to the foot of the table.  We won the first 2-1 with O'Halloran finally coming good that season and scoring two great goals.  This season Maclean scored both as we also won 2-1.

the only negative is that we fell a goal behind in both games!!

Spot on. Our biggest problem just now is falling behind early and chasing the game. 

Guest ScottMann

I'm just angry that it has taken until now for the board and management to recognise how short in quality we are and how close we might have been to another top three or four finish with just a little bit of ambition. 

I'm sure the management has been well aware of this but the board has been the one playing brinksmanship.

Let's get ahead and give ourselves something to build on.  As soon as we fall behind we are susceptible to the counter attack.  Even play it very cautious and safe for the first 20 minutes.

Spot on. Our biggest problem just now is falling behind early and chasing the game. 

Hahahahaha!!

I love how you are discussing this like it's been a lifestyle choice. We are not losing goal early and first because of some tactical mishap that just needs tweaked

Hahahahaha!!

I love how you are discussing this like it's been a lifestyle choice. We are not losing goal early and first because of some tactical mishap that just needs tweaked

This may be right but our record of consistently losing early goals suggests that there is more to this. The definition of madness is repeating the same thing over and over and expecting a different outcome. I would argue that our strategy in the early stages of games can be improved massively.

This may be right but our record of consistently losing early goals suggests that there is more to this. The definition of madness is repeating the same thing over and over and expecting a different outcome. I would argue that our strategy in the early stages of games can be improved massively.

In layman's terms.. You have average players, some off form, some unfit, some too old, some not good enough quality.. They play badly, the other team plays better, the other team will likely score before the worse team. The better team will win, the worse team will lose.

I worry that you are suggesting that some sports scientist or psychologist could solve our early conceding woes... 

The cold hard facts are that we don't have enough strength in the squad to cope with so many off form players or injuries and that can only be solved by offloading guys like Sutton,  and bringing in guys like Swanson or Goodwillie or Dow etc etc..

We are currently running with a squad of 21 first team players.. That includes:

Chris Millar injured

Brian Easton injured

Dave Mackay injured

Craig Thomson under 20'

Zander Clark goalkeeper

Thats 16 senior players... Farcical

Add to that that one of those 16 is a defender signed from Alloa who barely any of us have seen play, Darnell Fisher is owned by Celtic, Scott Brown could barely cut it at Dumbarton, John Sutton is hopeless.. That leaves us relying on 12 senior players that are owned by this club, tried and tested at SPL level and we believe can play top six..

*disclaimer these calculations are rough so please feel free to tell me that Ally Gilchrist or Alex Kitchen are somehow considered part of our squad 

Edited by R.B.B:- Adz

I don't have time to respond to this as succinctly as you have kindly and expertly explained.

Average players - measured against who? These are more or less the players who have qualified for Europe the last couple of years so they are decent quality: some are getting older - no argument. 

To my main point; we have the same management team. The manager is well respected and normally regarded as tactically astute. He hasn't turned in to a bad manager over night.

You have misinterpreted my suggestion to improve our woeful starts to games. There is no psychological remedy inferred. No Hocus- Pocus, no Voodoo, Witchcraft or black art. I maybe naive but I do believe that these Professionals should be able to identify why we cant keep the game close for the opening stages of the game and build some confidence even if it is a bit hard to watch. Your simplistic observation - " good team plays well ", "bad team plays poorly" does not do your post any credit because there are some parts which are accurate even if a little flippant.

In layman's terms.. You have average players, some off form, some unfit, some too old, some not good enough quality.. They play badly, the other team plays better, the other team will likely score before the worse team. The better team will win, the worse team will lose.

I worry that you are suggesting that some sports scientist or psychologist could solve our early conceding woes... 

The cold hard facts are that we don't have enough strength in the squad to cope with so many off form players or injuries and that can only be solved by offloading guys like Sutton,  and bringing in guys like Swanson or Goodwillie or Dow etc etc..

We are currently running with a squad of 21 first team players.. That includes:

Chris Millar injured

Brian Easton injured

Dave Mackay injured

Craig Thomson under 20'

Zander Clark goalkeeper

Thats 16 senior players... Farcical

Add to that that one of those 16 is a defender signed from Alloa who barely any of us have seen play, Darnell Fisher is owned by Celtic, Scott Brown could barely cut it at Dumbarton, John Sutton is hopeless.. That leaves us relying on 12 senior players that are owned by this club, tried and tested at SPL level and we believe can play top six..

*disclaimer these calculations are rough so please feel free to tell me that Ally Gilchrist or Alex Kitchen are somehow considered part of our squad 

It would be a bit difficult for Alex Kitchen to be part of any of our squads considering he left us ages ago and is back living in Newcastle...

aye best not to bother with tactics then cos it doesn't really make any difference .... ??!!

we have been far too open in games and fallen behind partly because of it.  Agreed, players have been off form but then let's be compact and solid so we can grind out results and give us a platform to build on.

this squad of 'average players' is near enough the same one that took us to the brink of third in the table.  It's not suddenly a poor squad.  

I never suggested a sports scientist to stop us conceding early goals, I don't know where you got that.  I think we could maybe set up far more defensive minded though, for example, to get a few points on the board until the confidence and form returns.

aye best not to bother with tactics then cos it doesn't really make any difference .... ??!!

we have been far too open in games and fallen behind partly because of it.  Agreed, players have been off form but then let's be compact and solid so we can grind out results and give us a platform to build on.

this squad of 'average players' is near enough the same one that took us to the brink of third in the table.  It's not suddenly a poor squad.  

I never suggested a sports scientist to stop us conceding early goals, I don't know where you got that.  I think we could maybe set up far more defensive minded though, for example, to get a few points on the board until the confidence and form returns.

You copied my post in different words.  But that's cool, I agree