Saints v Motherwell 20/02/16

glenrothes saintee

Once / if we secure top 6 TW has nothing to loose, mix the team up, get the youngsters in playing regularly for the last 6 games. 

Who gives a shit if we loose them then, we would be secure, at least it gives experience and something with which the team can be built upon for next season.

I'd prefer us to aim for 4th and fight for a possible European spot tbh.

Firstly, we had few redeeming qualities as a team and I didn't think that any player was particularly impressive. When we play with a lone striker, I don't expect that lone striker to spend so much time in his own half and I certainly don't want him to be defending opposition corners. I was very disappointed that there were no substitutions at half-time, as it was clear (despite the equaliser) that our initial approach wasn't working. The game was crying out for Danny Swanson. I was quite bemused that he played no part in the match. I won't single out any players. The guys who performed especially below-par will know who they are.

Having said that, the result is clearly far more important than the performance. Well done to the team for showing the character to turn it around after falling behind. Credit where it is due. Well done, lads. Hopefully we can build on this now.

Edited by The Real Saints

How on earth did Well beat United 3-0 at Tannadice midweek?  That's the worst team I've seen at McD for a long time.

First half bored me to tears, totally detest 4-5-1 formations and Macca at one point was deeper than midfield collecting the ball so does that make us a 4-6-0 formation at times!

Controlled the second half in a much improved performance. It eradicated the boredom memory of the first.  I thought the goal was coming and glad our luck changed and we grabbed a late winner.. They are the best winners!

Collectively the team played much better than the past few games.  Hope this is the spring board for the rest of the season. 

Ref was shocking for both teams... think Tam should have been sent off, but only booked then to score the winner.. ok. Thanks Ref.

Ref was shocking for both teams... think Tam should have been sent off, but only booked then to score the winner.. ok. Thanks Ref.

Ref was terrible yeah, but no way should Scobbie have been sent off. A bad tackle, but purely to stop the guy and not to hurt him. Same as pulling him back, which i'm pretty sure Gomis did in the first half and didn't get booked. Referee was incredibly inconsistent. Don't want to moan too much but no idea how Liam Craig didn't get booked either, literally tried to catch the ball then the guys ankle:laugh:

Edited by duncan08

Ref was terrible yeah, but no way should Scobbie have been sent off. A bad tackle, but purely to stop the guy and not to hurt him. Same as pulling him back, which i'm pretty sure Gomis did in the first half and didn't get booked. Referee was incredibly inconsistent. Don't want to moan too much but no idea how Liam Craig didn't get booked either, literally tried to catch the ball then the guys ankle:laugh:

ha.. Craig avoiding the booking was funny. How Lasley didn't get booked is a mystery. He can't tackle and just commits fouls all game, plus he blocked a free kick. 

as for Tams booking... we'll I've seen the red in the past. It was reckless and dangerous. Deliberately chopped the lad, no attempt for the ball. Love it!  Was right in front of me and the ref called it yellow but Tam would have been bricking it to see what card was getting branded.  Lucky man I feel but no complaints!  Ref got it right I or did he...

I disagree about Tam. That wasn't a break from the referee. It was never a red card offence. Only time that is a red is if the player is clean through on goal and the defender is denying a goal scoring opportunity. 

Not often I disagree with anything you post, but I thought it could've been interpreted as violent conduct, which is a red

Awful first half and tactics and we got lucky to get in level at half time. Spoony was the only real quality player in the first half. Macca can't play as the one in a 4-5-1. Awful.

Big difference last 25 mins through once we went with Cummins and Sutton who played well together. We started to carve out chances with Cummins and Craig very close. 

Well done Tam Scobbie in the end. Wonderful header.

Definitely a get out of jail card played but we did create more chances and in the main defended quite well. Brand of football wasnt great but we needed the points.

Not often I disagree with anything you post, but I thought it could've been interpreted as violent conduct, which is a red

"It could've been interpreted" 

I interpreted it as a yellow card as he deliberately took the guy out. It never even occurred to me he may see red for it. It probably looked more reckless because it was at pace but it would've shocked me to see him sent off. 

Glad the referee didn't interpret it as a red. Love a last minute winner! 

That was awful refereeing TBF. Deliberate and cynical attempt to take him out of the game. With his arms. A clear yellow.

i reckon Tam could have seen red as well. Deliberately played the man with no intent to get the ball. For my money that's worse than the kind of tackle we've seen Mackay and Craig sent off for this season, where there's no actual attempt to play the man.

Now we have got the monkey off our backs can I make a heartfelt plea to please mix-up the goal-kicks.

For the last few games every one has been placed down the left side of the pitch and have been cannon fodder to the likes of the Motherwell no 5 today (Long) who is an awful defender but due to his height is good in the air. 

I guess the feeling is Macca has a better hold-up game, and while he was sublime in that regard with May running off him this line-up isn't quite as strong. I'm sure Thompson will do plenty of work getting forward, but will Craig on the left? Wotherspoon might have to push up in the middle a lot as well, assuming that's where the three are playing

What a pathetic post. How many games have you been to this season?

"assuming that's where the three are playing"

Empty vessels make most noise.