The game that nearly made you stop following Saints

Wendy Saints

Have never ever considered not following Saints.....even though Ive been away from Perth for too many years.  Its in your blood.  I might not see them play for a few years at a time...but thankfully I can check in on WAP everyday and keep up to date on the news and the associated nonsense!  Its all good!!  The Internet has certainly made life a lot easier for us folks following Saints in far flung corners of the world. 

Would never think about stopping supporting Saints just because of a bad games/games. Bad games and disappointments are an unavoidable part of the experience.

Only time I've considered stopping going was when it looked like a Rangers Newco was going to be allowed straight into the top flight. Fortunately it didn't happen - but if it did, that would have been me finished with Scottish football.

Just to clarify on this Rangers in the top league stuff, Even if Saints had voted against their arrival you'd have given up supporting them had other teams let them in? I understand the anger if that had happened, but it would have been nowhere near enough to stop me supporting Saints. 

When you have watched Saints with under 100 mates at East Stirlingshire  Travelling on team bus to Stranraer because not enough for supporters bus

Painted out bill boards at Muirton because they could not sell them for buttons

Seen some of Jim Storries Alec Stuarts and Ian Gibson s teams 

Seen Saints lose 5.1 at home to Meadowbank I could go on

The answer has to be NEVER

Brilliant. Its in the heart. COYS

From meeting that wee fecker Rickardo at Muirton when I was 5. To Reserve games where we escaped from the main stand on to the muirton terraces and were chased by the grounds man. To red trousers on the bus. To the Cabby bar in Falkirk. To Paul and shark been hit with a pie at east end park. To breaking in to the tv commentators area in the old Hampden v QP. To stealing televisions in Cupar Angus on the way back from Forfar. To mcdiarmid. To Times Square with my middle aged old fat ****er friends and then on to May  17th. In between some really shit results but to answer the question, NEVER !

Impossible to contemplate life without Saints - John Brogan/Jim Morton in my childhood DNA from 1970s Carnegie place days living behind old Muirton covered terracing. Not lived in Perth since 1983 but enjoyed all my "away" days out since, sometimes on my own or sharing with my younger brother

Loved all the highs and lows, makes you appreciate the good times

when living in borders in 1980s as teenager going to see us beating berwick rangers 4-1, beating hawick royal albert 2-1 in scottish cup (hero J Morton scoring free kick)

never left a game early in my life - only time came close when getting horsed 7-0 at home by Gers, my Dad  (sadly no longer with us) held me back

recent semi finals against Motherwell and 1st one against Aberdeen particularly galling (took my son and wondered why i was putting him through this?

- thought SJFC destined to always be the bridesmaid?

then glorious day at ibrox when a certain local boy made all my dreams come true in style - tears with my 5yr old son and brother in stands at 2nd goal, shown on sportscene highlights/final build up- we'd done it holy grail achieved

still the landmark moment to me - even better than winning final for some reason - May 17 destiny never in doubt and totally different feeling  - dreamlike rather than euphoria of semi-final comeback.

married family life means don't manage to get to as many days as used to but doesn't mean you lose deep seated love for all things saintee

but time never stands still, and in some ways "enjoying" current yo-yo challenge of top 6 / 2nd bottom spot conundrum - more focused on whole league and other clubs than normal

being "safe" can be boring...

will make it to Partick game this week, midweek ones easier to attend - hopefully won't witness 2 crackers from Thistle like earlier in season - G Miller wtf?,

tempting fate but not seen us win since European game this season, time for TW and boys to rectify that anomaly

COYS

Although that game was pretty awful to watch Saints actually didn't play badly that night.

im not even sure what the final score was, it was 7 when we left, the only time ive left a saints game before the final whistle. Dasovic's goal a week (?!) or so later restored the faith as to why im a saints fan and not an OF glory hunter. Years of sh1t makes that one moment all the sweeter. COYS

wish you had....you sound like a right ****in jinx :razz:

Ha! But I've also seen us win the Cup, the Challenge Cup, four First Division titles and seen us in Europe 5 of the 6 times we've qualified. Not a Jonah, but not a glory hunter either... although I don't think anyone who follows Saints could be accused of that!  :wink:

Aug 1964 in the league cup when we were in qualifying section 1,  with Rangers St Mirren and Aberdeen.

It was 2 points for a win and 1 for a draw.

We lined up Fallon, McFadyen W.Coburn, MCarry, Richmond, Dickson, Flanagan, McAlindon, G Whitelaw, Kerray and Kemp to face Rangers in the third game on the 15th Aug. at Muirton Park in front of a crowd of 15000.

Saints 1 Rangers 9. (yes NINE)

If that scoreline does not put you off supporting Saints, nothing will.

Here I am 50+ years later more ardent and passionate about my team.

Yes, though my blood is thinner due to medication, Saints will be in my blood forever.

Couldn't understand those Perth gloryhunters who deserted to follow Jim McLean Arabs.

Aug 1964 in the league cup when we were in qualifying section 1,  with Rangers St Mirren and Aberdeen.

It was 2 points for a win and 1 for a draw.

We lined up Fallon, McFadyen W.Coburn, MCarry, Richmond, Dickson, Flanagan, McAlindon, G Whitelaw, Kerray and Kemp to face Rangers in the third game on the 15th Aug. at Muirton Park in front of a crowd of 15000.

Saints 1 Rangers 9. (yes NINE)

If that scoreline does not put you off supporting Saints, nothing will.

Here I am 50+ years later more ardent and passionate about my team.

Yes, though my blood is thinner due to medication, Saints will be in my blood forever.

Couldn't understand those Perth gloryhunters who deserted to follow Jim McLean Arabs.

Should have added "tho' McLean was some 7 years later."

You can tell by the views of some posters that they are a bit hacked off with the team at the minute?!

This got me thinking? Has there been a game or result where you almost walked away from Saints for good?

Personally until the thrashing by Aberdeen at Tynecastle it would never entered my mind to walk away, however on that day it suddenly dawned on me for some reason that we were always going to be the nearly team! So much so I gave up on the chance to go to Forfar for the cup game, I knew if I had gone that day and they had been beaten it may have been the one thing to make me walk away! Writing this down now I feel a bit ashamed admitting this because I have followed Saints up & down ALL the divisions, thankfully we beat Forfar & the rest as they say is history! I feel much more relaxed about things! That's down to a cup WIN... No matter what happens from now on in our name is on the cup?!?!

image.jpg

What a stupid post

I was there when we had 300 and I'll be there whenever possible in the future.. There is nothing that could stop me being a saintee supporter forever and I challenge you and whom else that may feel that way that there not true supporters...