Hearts v Saints 19/3/16 K-O 3pm

People go on about folk like John Connelly as if he's was world class. To me he was the appalling manager who nearly relegated saints further. He's not a legend in my eyes at all. 

In 30 years time, it's going to be the likes of McLean et al who are the legends from the past. The guys who will be trotted out onto the pitch and warmly applauded with stories being told. Maybe not legendary status yet, but over time of wager they will. I mean they are more entitled than any other saints player due to actually achieving something. 

You're confusing Connolly the player and Connolly the manager. As a manager, it never worked. As a player he was without question one of the greatest we've ever had and will always be a legend, as part of that great Ormond team.

People go on about folk like John Connelly as if he's was world class. To me he was the appalling manager who nearly relegated saints further. He's not a legend in my eyes at all. 

In 30 years time, it's going to be the likes of McLean et al who are the legends from the past. The guys who will be trotted out onto the pitch and warmly applauded with stories being told. Maybe not legendary status yet, but over time of wager they will. I mean they are more entitled than any other saints player due to actually achieving something. 

Yeah,but if Macca goes on to manage Saints & makes an arse of it will he be a legend. To me he will along with John Connolly.

Macca is a winner & I dougt if we would have acheaved what we have over the last few years if he had not been in the team.

He started the season on fire but he & the team have been through a bad patch. That happens but he never hides.

A servant right throughout our best ever period, an absolute psycho who exudes passion, goalscorer in Luzern in front of 1000 Saints fans in the scorching sun and scorer of one of the most important goals in our history. The older generation seem to look back on yesteryear with much greater fondness than the here and now, but this is our golden generation, these players will go down in history. In 50 years fans will talk about Steven Anderson, Steven Maclean and Stevie May. They are legends and will go down as such. There's nothing cheap about how they've managed to reach 'celebrity status.' 

Perfect post. Would also add that anyone doubting Macca's part in Saints' success should read Tommy Wright's interview from a while back about what happened in the dressing room at half-time of the Scottish Cup semi-final against Aberdeen. The guy is a winner and a leader who has a massive influence on the players around him. He's also a bloody good footballer. That's why he's in the team more often than not.

Perfect post. Would also add that anyone doubting Macca's part in Saints' success should read Tommy Wright's interview from a while back about what happened in the dressing room at half-time of the Scottish Cup semi-final against Aberdeen. The guy is a winner and a leader who has a massive influence on the players around him. He's also a bloody good footballer. That's why he's in the team more often than not.

The haters won't want to understand that kind of influence though.  It wasn't just the half-time thing either - didn't he also set up the winner?  Anyone who understands football can see how he influences games.  Another example was the United game earlier this season.  After the penalty and red card it was Macca who you could see more than anyone turning the game round and driving others on.   But he didn't score that day, so he couldn't have been much good. :roll:

Watch MacLean next time he plays with Kane, and you'll see why he plays so much. He completely sacrificed his own performance against Caley instead spending the 90 minutes covering for Kane defensively and instructing him on when to stay/go and where to position himself. Its no coincidence that Kanes improving while being in the same squad as him, similar to how May did the same. 

Apologies to all WAP'ers regarding this thread being turned into a defend McLean one, from an opinion in a post made regarding an off form player not being on the pitch and the marked difference it made in the way the team performed at high tempo and with movement. These will be my last comments on the subject to those who have come back at me regarding my opinion. Comment if you wish. I will not reply. 

A striker who wears the No 9 does / should not sacrifice himself for anyone in the team, to wear the No 9 that person should be an out and out striker, greedy, selfish and egotistical. Not no the pitch to make someone else look good.

18 league games he's played + 2 coming on as a sub = 10 goals = 50% = a reasonable return rate. However not such a good return when you factor in the fact that his last League goal was 17th October, 5 months ago and with only 1 cup goal on the 27th October (yes i know there was a time out with injury) my point remains exactly the same.

As a STRIKER his form is rank and should not have been on the pitch as often as he has in these months, that others should have been picked before him, that there was a marked difference in the set up, style and performance of the team on Saturday.       

your obviously too young too understand.

john Connolly as a player was world class.have some respect .

A servant right throughout our best ever period, an absolute psycho who exudes passion, goalscorer in Luzern in front of 1000 Saints fans in the scorching sun and scorer of one of the most important goals in our history. The older generation seem to look back on yesteryear with much greater fondness than the here and now, but this is our golden generation, these players will go down in history. In 50 years fans will talk about Steven Anderson, Steven Maclean and Stevie May. They are legends and will go down as such. There's nothing cheap about how they've managed to reach 'celebrity status.' 

Again as with the post to Randoom, reply to this if you wish, I will not.

You make the assumption I am older one of the older generation, you maybe correct, I maybe was in Baghdad when you were still in your dad's bag.  I'll therefore make the assumption that you are of the younger generation, the generation who cannot be told anything. 

I've been there done that, sat in the managers office of a legend, one of THE most successful managers of the Scottish league in the 80's to be told "your fast as f*ck, but you're a sh1te football player", Hence, there is no room in football for sentiment.   

Three and a half season's at a club does not make a legend, yes it may be half of your age, therefore you have nothing to compare it to. Anderson yes, length of time at club, number of games, important goals scored yes, May yes, at the club since he was 16, important goals scored yes. McLean, Naw !  

Finally I'll give you some advice you would heed well to take and remember through life. 

Never fill a Ferrari with diesel. :cool:  

You make the assumption I am older one of the older generation, you maybe correct, I maybe was in Baghdad when you were still in your dad's bag.  I'll therefore make the assumption that you are of the younger generation, the generation who cannot be told anything. 

I've been there done that, sat in the managers office of a legend, one of THE most successful managers of the Scottish league in the 80's to be told "your fast as f*ck, but you're a sh1te football player", Hence, there is no room in football for sentiment.   

Three and a half season's at a club does not make a legend, yes it may be half of your age, therefore you have nothing to compare it to. Anderson yes, length of time at club, number of games, important goals scored yes, May yes, at the club since he was 16, important goals scored yes. McLean, Naw !  

Finally I'll give you some advice you would heed well to take and remember through life. 

With all due respect, I couldn't care less about your failed football career. As Blueheaven alluded to earlier, Maclean is the absolute epitome of what St Johnstone as a club is all about. It's them against us, never say die, sacrifice yourself for the team. My dad grew up in the Ormond era, he holds a special affinity for that team, but this current generation has eclipsed them in St Johnstone folklore, led by Maclean, Anderson, Mackay and, for a short but oh so sweet spell, Stevie May. Steven Maclean is, was and always will be a St Johnstone legend. I don't know why you want to downplay the role he has played in our fine clubs history to be quite honest. 

source imgur

So because you never made it as a footballer MacLean isn't good enough?  Okay then.

Because its a different stand in question.

Anyone claiming Connolly is more deserving of legend status than MacLean is completely ****ing deluded by rose tinted specs. MacLeans scored huge goals in Europe, and has played a major role in us finishing third and winning our first ever trophy, even scoring in the Final. His partnership with May will be talked about for years. Connolly didnt come close to those achievements 

Guest ScottMann

Ah, the myth that Connolly nearly relegated us gets trotted out again. It's nonsense but who cares when it suits the agenda. JC is the anti-Christ.

Edited by ScottMann

Because its a different stand in question.

Anyone claiming Connolly is more deserving of legend status than MacLean is completely ****ing deluded by rose tinted specs. MacLeans scored huge goals in Europe, and has played a major role in us finishing third and winning our first ever trophy, even scoring in the Final. His partnership with May will be talked about for years. Connolly didnt come close to those achievements 

Much as I have defended MacLean on here, you are so wrong about Connolly.  That is if you believe what you have posted.  I suspect it's another of your attention seeking trolling posts though.

Guest ScottMann

I can't believe that because one roaster doesn't understand the current role of a player and still thinks a player is defined by his number we are back to trying to slaughter legends of the past just because you didn't see them play.

The bottom line is John Connolly is a Saints legend and Steven McLean is a Saints legend, both deservedly so. There is no arguement to be had.

Much as I have defended MacLean on here, you are so wrong about Connolly.  That is if you believe what you have posted.  I suspect it's another of your attention seeking trolling posts though.

I think this is a case of playing the man and not the ball. Connolly is undoubtably a legend, but it's completely fair to suggest his achievements don't match Macca's. Widge's post is far more inflammatory tbf. 

I have not seen this issue addressed anywhere else but I have just watched the highlights, how is it dangerous to have a stand with two sets of fans in it in January yet not March?

I guess when Hearts are wanting to make some money 'safety' doesn't come into it all of a sudden.

It was nothing to do with Hearts purely the bawbaggery of SPFL. And it was also a different stand.

Over his entire career he averages a goal every 283 minutes, which is a goal every 3 games. Hardly embarrassing.

In his time with us he averages a goal every 306 minutes, which is a goal every 3.5 games. 

FWIW did you think Sheridan was a better striker than MacLean?

I appreciate that Maclean's build up play and the work he does has helped us significantly in recent years. A striker however is expected to score goals and you cant dispute that Maclean is a poor finisher and goes through matches upon matches where he doesn't come close to scoring. Recently his performances have also dipped and there is many games this season where I believe he has contributed nothing at all but still will retain his starting place for the following week. This also happened in the second half of last season where Graham was benched every week despite Macleans very poor performances. I'm a fan of Macca but I think the word legend is a slight exaggeration, and yes I believe he is a much better player than Sheridan.

I think this is a case of playing the man and not the ball. Connolly is undoubtably a legend, but it's completely fair to suggest his achievements don't match Macca's. Widge's post is far more inflammatory tbf. 

I think they are both appalling posts made by folk who are too young to have seen Connolly play.  I started following Saints just after he left so also can't comment. However my Dad and many others since him have told me JC was  the best they see play for Saints. For Random and Widge to rubbish him as a player is pathetic.