Hearts v Saints 19/3/16 K-O 3pm

People go on about folk like John Connelly as if he's was world class. To me he was the appalling manager who nearly relegated saints further. He's not a legend in my eyes at all. 

In 30 years time, it's going to be the likes of McLean et al who are the legends from the past. The guys who will be trotted out onto the pitch and warmly applauded with stories being told. Maybe not legendary status yet, but over time of wager they will. I mean they are more entitled than any other saints player due to actually achieving something. 

John Connolly was the best Saints player I have ever seen in . Agreed he didn't do well as a manager. But not a legend ? Give us a break!

A fairly rare occassion where I don't agree with Random.

I know Maclean is a Saints legend, I've been there and seen it all, and I've seen enough to know people complaining when he doesn't score goals is folly.

John Connolly last played for Saints in 1972 from what I can see, roughly a quarter century before I was born. I'm in no position to say he wasn't a legend, or even to make any comment on his career beyond stats and the words of elders, and as far as I'm aware Random should be in the same position. Stats alone can't determine legend status.

Not too sure where Baghdad comes into it though.

Edited by Jiangsu Sainty

A fairly rare occassion where I don't agree with Random.

I know Maclean is a Saints legend, I've been there and seen it all, and I've seen enough to know people complaining when he doesn't score goals is folly.

John Connolly last played for Saints in 1972 from what I can see, roughly a quarter century before I was born. I'm in no position to say he wasn't a legend, or even to make any comment on his career beyond stats and the words of elders, and as far as I'm aware Random should be in the same position. Stats alone can't determine legend status.

Not too sure where Baghdad comes into it though.

Hah! I had you down as an old guy. You're quite mature for a youngster.

JUST SAY NO. STAY IN SCHOOL. 

Im not saying Connolly isnt a legend. Im saying MacLean has far more of a claim to that tag than Connolly, so you cant say Connolly is and MacLean isnt. Their achievements dont match up no matter how much those living in the past hope it does.

This is the most successful period in our history, no question, Ormonds era doesnt compare.

Apologies to all WAP'ers regarding this thread being turned into a defend McLean one, from an opinion in a post made regarding an off form player not being on the pitch and the marked difference it made in the way the team performed at high tempo and with movement. These will be my last comments on the subject to those who have come back at me regarding my opinion. Comment if you wish. I will not reply. 

A striker who wears the No 9 does / should not sacrifice himself for anyone in the team, to wear the No 9 that person should be an out and out striker, greedy, selfish and egotistical. Not no the pitch to make someone else look good.

18 league games he's played + 2 coming on as a sub = 10 goals = 50% = a reasonable return rate. However not such a good return when you factor in the fact that his last League goal was 17th October, 5 months ago and with only 1 cup goal on the 27th October (yes i know there was a time out with injury) my point remains exactly the same.

As a STRIKER his form is rank and should not have been on the pitch as often as he has in these months, that others should have been picked before him, that there was a marked difference in the set up, style and performance of the team on Saturday.       

He scored against Celtic in the league on 23rd January. 

Im not saying Connolly isnt a legend. Im saying MacLean has far more of a claim to that tag than Connolly, so you cant say Connolly is and MacLean isnt. Their achievements dont match up no matter how much those living in the past hope it does.

This is the most successful period in our history, no question, Ormonds era doesnt compare.

Both are legends for different reasons.  

wiki on JC

"Connolly left Queens in May 2004 to replace Billy Stark as manager of former club St Johnstone, with his former assistant Iain Scott taking over at Queens.[4] After a disappointing first season, Connolly was sacked from his position with St Johnstone on 4 April 2005,[6] with the team finishing in 8th place and only avoiding relegation in the last few weeks of the season. He was succeeded by Owen Coyle."