Hearts v Saints 19/3/16 K-O 3pm

wiki on JC

"Connolly left Queens in May 2004 to replace Billy Stark as manager of former club St Johnstone, with his former assistant Iain Scott taking over at Queens.[4] After a disappointing first season, Connolly was sacked from his position with St Johnstone on 4 April 2005,[6] with the team finishing in 8th place and only avoiding relegation in the last few weeks of the season. He was succeeded by Owen Coyle."

been good times ever since - we really have had a wonderful decade!!! well done Broons on some great managerial appointments!!

wiki on JC

"Connolly left Queens in May 2004 to replace Billy Stark as manager of former club St Johnstone, with his former assistant Iain Scott taking over at Queens.[4] After a disappointing first season, Connolly was sacked from his position with St Johnstone on 4 April 2005,[6] with the team finishing in 8th place and only avoiding relegation in the last few weeks of the season. He was succeeded by Owen Coyle."

It's an oft-peddled myth that Connolly almost got us relegated. We spent the bulk of that season comfortably in mid-table. Poor results towards the end of the season caused us to slip down and end up in 8th place, but by the time that happened relegation was essentially already decided. At no point in that season were we ever in any danger of going down. You can still see the week-by-week league tables on the Temple of Saints website here: http://www.grange.demon.co.uk/saints/fixt0405.htm 

Incidentally, anyone claiming Maclean is anything other than a Saints legend is clearly a massive curmudgeon who will probably never be happy.

It was nothing to do with Hearts purely the bawbaggery of SPFL. And it was also a different stand.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/35404884

"The Scottish Professional Football League said it had taken the decision following advice from police and security staff at Tynecastle Stadium."

It was very much to do with Hearts. I can only assume there are two entrances to the Roseburn which allowed them to operate the one stand as two separate ones. 

Folks massively misunderstood my post. 

I wasnt slagging Connolly off as a player, I was merely stating I never saw him play. How can a guy I've never seen play be classed as a legend? I've only got his poor managerial stint to go on. He'll never be a legend in my eyes, I've no issue with him being classed as one in older generations memories. 

My point was in 30 years time, I'll be recalling McLean as a legend because of what he's done. He's my generations hero (one of) so to speak. Maybe his achievements aren't as good (they're better IMO) but he's of my generation. 

People pled really take things too seriously. Only Rik appears to have actually got what I was saying, but apparently I'm a disgrace or whatnot for not classing a guy I never once say play as "world class" or the hero he is. He'll forever go down as a failure of a manager to me. 

Folks massively misunderstood my post. 

I wasnt slagging Connolly off as a player, I was merely stating I never saw him play. How can a guy I've never seen play be classed as a legend? I've only got his poor managerial stint to go on. He'll never be a legend in my eyes, I've no issue with him being classed as one in older generations memories. 

My point was in 30 years time, I'll be recalling McLean as a legend because of what he's done. He's my generations hero (one of) so to speak. Maybe his achievements aren't as good (they're better IMO) but he's of my generation. 

People pled really take things too seriously. Only Rik appears to have actually got what I was saying, but apparently I'm a disgrace or whatnot for not classing a guy I never once say play as "world class" or the hero he is. He'll forever go down as a failure of a manager to me. 

I get what you are saying, but surely if hunners of folk tell you the guy was a legend, he probably was a legend, and you should accept that, and pay the respect that is due.

With all due respect, I couldn't care less about your failed football career. As Blueheaven alluded to earlier, Maclean is the absolute epitome of what St Johnstone as a club is all about. It's them against us, never say die, sacrifice yourself for the team. My dad grew up in the Ormond era, he holds a special affinity for that team, but this current generation has eclipsed them in St Johnstone folklore, led by Maclean, Anderson, Mackay and, for a short but oh so sweet spell, Stevie May. Steven Maclean is, was and always will be a St Johnstone legend. I don't know why you want to downplay the role he has played in our fine clubs history to be quite honest. 

That's a BIG ASSumption to make.

Who said it was a failed career, success and failure is objective, gladly do a trophy, medal and honours count with you. 

Reason was to affirm the point that , some people know football and some people KNOW football.

It's the small things that make the difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit. :laugh:

I get what you are saying, but surely if hunners of folk tell you the guy was a legend, he probably was a legend, and you should accept that, and pay the respect that is due.

Why though?

I've never seen him play and tend not to base opinions on other peoples. Just because 100 people jumped off a bridge, doesn't mean I will as well. 

I'm only dealing with the concrete evidence I've got to hand and what I saw. I'm not going to give respect based on my opinion of him, which is a failure at saints. Fair enough if people want to tegard him highly, that's their prerogative, but don't force opinions on people, who are you or anyone to tell me how I should view anyone?

They're both legends in their own way. 

One difference is the standard of football at the relevant times, Maclean helped saints in the QUALIFYING rounds of Europe. Connolly helped in the ACTUAL cup competition. 

Scottish football was better back then,the standard was A LOT higher than it is now. 

These are all facts so whether you're young or old you may use them as you wish bit they both deserve to be classed as great St Johnstone players.

Why though?

I've never seen him play and tend not to base opinions on other peoples. Just because 100 people jumped off a bridge, doesn't mean I will as well. 

I'm only dealing with the concrete evidence I've got to hand and what I saw. I'm not going to give respect based on my opinion of him, which is a failure at saints. Fair enough if people want to tegard him highly, that's their prerogative, but don't force opinions on people, who are you or anyone to tell me how I should view anyone?

If you view football through concrete evidence only then you are doing it wrong. As someone that is around the same age as you, I hate to take the side of the Ormond mafia, but John Connolly is a legend to many people of our age, I've grown up hearing stories about him from my dad, my dads friends and my uncles. The history of the club is important in my eyes and you'd have to be pretty ignorant of it to view John Connolly solely on 10 months managing us. 

They're both legends in their own way. 

One difference is the standard of football at the relevant times, Maclean helped saints in the QUALIFYING rounds of Europe. Connolly helped in the ACTUAL cup competition. 

Scottish football was better back then,the standard was A LOT higher than it is now. 

These are all facts so whether you're young or old you may use them as you wish bit they both deserve to be classed as great St Johnstone players.

They're not facts, they're opinions. The qualifying rounds of the Europa League is simply a rebranding, it's still Europe. And the style of football isn't as swashbuckling now, but that's just because it's evolved, I'd wager a lot of money that any team in the top two leagues would beat the very best of that era if the two styles came up against each other, no matter the technical ability. 

Why though?

**** being a Dundee fan that has your outlook.

They're not facts, they're opinions. The qualifying rounds of the Europa League is simply a rebranding, it's still Europe. And the style of football isn't as swashbuckling now, but that's just because it's evolved, I'd wager a lot of money that any team in the top two leagues would beat the very best of that era if the two styles came up against each other, no matter the technical ability. 

wow that's 6 pints down the pub talk 

Andy Rhodes - We never qualified for the World Cup or Euros at any point of the Ormond era. 

SLF - Seriously, if a team came and lined up against us with the shape and style of football we played those days we'd take 4 or 5 of them. Look at how Rangers tried to play against us earlier in the season for an example of what we'd do to them.

Shibby - Yep, David Hannah's dance at Hamilton midweek was a particular highlight. He's a teddy bear, but we don't care... 

Why though?

wow. Learn to respect. I didn't force any views on anyone. Is it possible that someone you didn't see might be a good player? Just, almost possible? Incredible arrogance.

Andy Rhodes - We never qualified for the World Cup or Euros at any point of the Ormond era. 

SLF - Seriously, if a team came and lined up against us with the shape and style of football we played those days we'd take 4 or 5 of them. Look at how Rangers tried to play against us earlier in the season for an example of what we'd do to them.

Shibby - Yep, David Hannah's dance at Hamilton midweek was a particular highlight. He's a teddy bear, but we don't care... 

well done, was expecting that ;-). Our champions did however win things around that time ( I wasn't around so I'm only going by what folk have told me) and there is no doubt that Scottish football has regressed in the time that I have been watching football, that is not  my opinion, that is fact.