208 boozer

slf

Will anyone buy it. Used to get a few fans in before games but I think it is mostly away supporters now.

Used to also do a lot of funerals as well but McDiarmid park has taken most of them.

Don't think it has many regulars. Pubs are shutting down all over the place.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

lets be honest, its a shite pub in a shite part of the town.

handy for a pint on saturday afternoon on the way to a match. Is there anyone would take their other half, or their mum, there for a drink or a meal?

pubs, like every other business, have to check whether they are still relevant to the community.

lets be honest, its a shite pub in a shite part of the town.

handy for a pint on saturday afternoon on the way to a match. Is there anyone would take their other half, or their mum, there for a drink or a meal?

pubs, like every other business, have to check whether they are still relevant to the community.

the Tulloch Institute is dead half the time now too.

I actually think it has some potential.

The inside would need a lot of investment, but if you could get the place looking half decent and start providing good food, then it could be a succes. As SaintSam points out, the Cherrybank seems to doing ok for itself and with the right people behind it the 208 could go the same way. It is situated in between Letham and Tulloch, which both have big catchment areas and has plenty of parking space for people who are driving along the Crieff Road and maybe looking for something to eat. Unlike just now, if you were to get some staff working on the bar who had some good customer service skills, then I am sure that more people would start going back in for a drink on matchdays. Also money to be made from funeral teas and plenty of room inside for functions.

Not sure if people with £200,000 mortgages will have more disposable income.

not sure where cagey lives, but the average house price in the uk these days is knocking on 200k. its hardly decedant living.

japanese style 100+ year mortgages cant be far off. God bless MaggieT, and all who profitted under her ;)

the cherrybank is on the borderline of the W.Edge where there is a lot more disposable income compared to letham/tulloch.

i know which location id rather open a pub.....

If you make your business appealing then people will travel from these more "affluent" areas to come to you. Incidentally I live in Tulloch and find the description "shit part of town" extremely offensive. I live in a row of houses that are all privately owned by very respectable, lovely people. 

The Cherrybank is just a pub with a nice atmosphere, friendly staff and great food. They've made a good name for themselves by doing the simple stuff really well and now they're extending. You can tell they have worked really hard to make a success of what they do. Meanwhile the 208 has rested on being a bit of an old mans pub with a function room attached. It could be so much more.

If I was buying it, that's the route I would go down with it. It would need completely refurbished, the name would have to go and serious investment in the kitchen/food side of things. It has potential.