War Dead

Fair Maid

Whilst doing WW1 family research and checking the Commonwealth Graves website, I decided to do a search for how many were recorded that came from the Perth area.  The search results showed 1908 names.  So many lives lost.  Some of the entries gave address details of the fallen and their families.   I doubt if many of the families were ever able to visit their loved one's graves due to lack of money, etc. 

I'm old enough to remember individuals who lived in my neighbourhood(s) who had survived the Great War, but of those who died, I wonder how many  life paths of descendent  relatives I unwittingly crossed in every day life.

http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead.aspx?cpage=1&sort=name&order=asc

RIP

In Ashton Under Lyme near to where I live They have a Museum of the Manchesters to the local Regiments, they do a similar service and for a small fee they input information of the person you are looking for and you get a print out with all the details DOB, Birth place, where they fell and where they were buried

During a return visit from down under, my daughter and family, paid a visit to Edinburgh Castle as well as my wife and I and our other daughter.

Records are held there showing Scots in various Regiments who died in various wars.

My (Oz} daughter was visibly upset when reading the entry about her great granddad (who's name is on the war memorial in Portsoy),  who served in the Durham Light Infantry and was killed during the first world war.

Such a sacrifice.

R.I.P. 

Hoodlum, in a strange way your story is good to hear. The young kids have less knowledge than our generation of WW1 so therefore unable to see the same similarities of bravery of the lads and ladders in More recent decades in Iraq etc. Just like the sympathy factor we have for Boer War I suppose.

Both my gt grandfathers fought at the battle of the Somme and thankfully came back.  One gt gt Uncle died at the battle of Arras.  His body was never found.  I find that upsetting - that he is somewhere unidentified.  Just a name on a plaque.  Funny how you can feel that way over some one you've never met.

My Grandmothers first husband fell at Ypres, Although he was talked about no one really knew much about him as Gran never said that much, The parchment I got from Ashton had a lot of detail about him where he was born (Sutherland ) where he lived in Perth , Age he fell and where to find his grave, in a way it I felt a bit closer to him.