Saints may need to change their badge

Lochwinnochsaintee

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/14426650.Football_clubs__forced_to_scrap_badges__under_ancient_law/ 

What a load of p!sh. Can't believe there are such busybodies around that would force clubs like ours to change their crests which have served their teams so well for many years. As if we have nothing better to spend our wads of cash on.

Headlines. Any decent lawyer would be able to defend the club with this. Good luck to anyone wishing to challenge St Johnstone for having the "Agnus Dei" in the badge.

Could always get around it by using the version from the 1996 Challenge Cup Final programme instead (it replaced the Agnus Dei with a drawing of a man pleasuring a sheep).

I wouldn't underestimate this story. Ayr United have been through this. The issue, which potentially affects many clubs, went to Westminster for decision as heraldry is apparently a reserved matter, but they have (apparently wrongly) bumped it in turn back to Edinburgh for decision by some t*** called the Lord Lyon or something equally ridiculous, and he is on record spouting mind-boggling archaic nonsense about the importance of "heraldic purity" etc. It's all as confusing as it is ridiculous. It's only a Scottish matter, as the law in the rest of the U.K. Is different - it falls under trademark and copyright law.

Im actually quite embarrassed I know this! 

I wouldn't underestimate this story. Ayr United have been through this. The issue, which potentially affects many clubs, went to Westminster for decision as heraldry is apparently a reserved matter, but they have (apparently wrongly) bumped it in turn back to Edinburgh for decision by some t*** called the Lord Lyon or something equally ridiculous, and he is on record spouting mind-boggling archaic nonsense about the importance of "heraldic purity" etc. It's all as confusing as it is ridiculous. It's only a Scottish matter, as the law in the rest of the U.K. Is different - it falls under trademark and copyright law.

Im actually quite embarrassed I know this! 

O.K. Your Lordship.

The agnus dei has the saltire in it. To challenge that would be to challenge fundamentals of Christian Churches across the country. Cannae see this as a story to worry about tbh.

Thats not the point.

If they demand we change our badge, then we have absolutely no choice in the matter. Airdrie and Ayr have both got thousands of signatures in separate petitions to try and save their badges and its not made a single bit of difference and they've both had to change. You get a year, then everything from letter headings to stadium signs have to remove the badge. 

Only positive is that they can only act on complaints, they cant just pick you up on it, so if nobody reports the club to them then it'll be fine.

Thats not the point.

If they demand we change our badge, then we have absolutely no choice in the matter. Airdrie and Ayr have both got thousands of signatures in separate petitions to try and save their badges and its not made a single bit of difference and they've both had to change. You get a year, then everything from letter headings to stadium signs have to remove the badge. 

Only positive is that they can only act on complaints, they cant just pick you up on it, so if nobody reports the club to them then it'll be fine.

I wasn't making a point, merely illustrating that our badge has a different aspect insofar as the agnus dei cannot be classified in the same way as  say Airdrie or Ayr Utd. To do so would clear the pathways to challenge the Church of Scotland and The Roman Catholic Church. 

The Agnus Dei is a fundamental aspect of the illustration of the Lamb of God.

If someone challenges us, Broon should  email the Vatican straight away. That would solve it.

I wasn't making a point, merely illustrating that our badge has a different aspect insofar as the agnus dei cannot be classified in the same way as  say Airdrie or Ayr Utd. To do so would clear the pathways to challenge the Church of Scotland and The Roman Catholic Church. 

The Agnus Dei is a fundamental aspect of the illustration of the Lamb of God.

If someone challenges us, Broon should  email the Vatican straight away. That would solve it.

Thats not the only problem with our badge though, plus the churches coat of arms are registered with the Lord Lyon due to their age

Edited by RandomGuy

FWIW the problems with our badge seems to be the use of letters (aye, really, although it seems to be one they care the least about as Airdrie were allowed to retain writing), the use of a shield, and the use of the cities coat of arms.

We could fight it, and it costs £2,500 to apply to register the coat of arms, but we'd have no chance due to the amount of "breaches". 

I imagine we'd have absolutely no problem if we switched from the eagle to the sheep, but I don't think we could have it framed