Pre season friendlies

Havana Saint

I wasn't a fan of our first-half formation. We were playing with a central defensive three of McKay, Gordon and Scobbie, with Brian Easton and Aaron Comrie acting as attacking wing-backs. Paul Paton sat in front of the defence with Liam Craig and Blair Alston in front of him. Kane started up front whilst Cummins was in a sort of free role, mainly coming in from the left. 

The formation meant that we had no natural width or control in midfield. Chances were limited. It's not surprising that both of our goals came from set pieces. Having said that, we largely looked comfortable and Bradford rarely troubled us (despite their spells of dominant possession play). A worthwhile run-out for the younger lads and fringe players. 

Brad McKay has some good stuff in his locker. He also has some bad stuff in his locker. He really needs to work on his concentration levels throughout ninety minutes. He made a couple of errors which might have been costly against a better team. 

Bradford dominated possession especially in second half but never looked dangerous. I think Mannus only had one real shot to save but he had to rely on defence to deal with crosses. 

Played 3_5_1 in first half with Easton & Comrie, as wing backs but didn't look comfortable although team played well with McKay & Gordon dominating.

Second half started 4_5_1 with Kane on his own up front McLaren & Thomson wide but it didn't work & we brought Hunter on & even though he didn't get much of the ball we kept more possession.

Comrie never let anyone past all night ,Gordon looked good as did Thomson but Connor. McLaren never got in the game & looked a bit heavier than when I saw him previously.

Eh.?

First half 3-5-1

Second half 4-5-1

I was at the game and saw Mannus played in goal, but the outfield players, only Nine in the first half and TEN in the second.!!!!

Who did you fail to see in the first half?

Have to disagree re scobbie I thought either at centre back or left back he looked very comfortable. SlickDT when did he give the ball away?

Several 'long balls' wasted or straight to an opposition player or into space with no one there. Also a clearance in the first half straight to the opposition player in the box- which thankfully he didn't take.

. Also a clearance in the first half straight to the opposition player in the box- which thankfully he didn't take.

Fairly sure that was Liam. Scobbie aslo managed two calm passbacks on chest and head, an assist and nearly scored as well as countless blocks. Agree his distribution wasn't brilliant.

As for the game, it was worthwhile. It shows the depth of the squad this year that we were able to have a full first team sit out. The young guys did well.

Thought the defenders did well. Comrie stuck to his task against a difficult winger and did really well. Poor going forward though. Gordon and McKay were good. Just wish McKay would concentrate more, he's brilliant one minute then makes a major blunder the next. Two lapses last night away from a a MOM id say. Has the potential.

Other positives were Craig, Paton second half, Alston's freekick assist and Thomson. Also thought Scobbie was excellent.

Was a decent run out with fairly limited chances from both sides.

Thought Liam Craig was our best player whilst on the park. The lad Gordon impressed me at the back- looks strong, is loud and can pick a pass- very promising. McKay didn't do too badly either. Paton was a bit of a mixed bag- but overall did his job well. The lad Comrie looked much more comfortable when we changed to a back four and has some real pace. 

I was hoping Kane may have added a little bit of power and strength during the off season. At times I think he can be bullied a tad too easily.

I felt Scobbie was poor tonight and continually gave the ball away with poor passes. I know he has his fans on here, but I just don't think he's good enough to play for the club. Championship level player.

I take it Tommy was away scouting?

Tommy was in the director box and Macca was his runner to the dug out.

Steve Brown electrical contractor is also on the back of the shirt I think.

Eh.?

First half 3-5-1

Second half 4-5-1

I was at the game and saw Mannus played in goal, but the outfield players, only Nine in the first half and TEN in the second.!!!!

Who did you fail to see in the first half?

Aha you fell into the trap. I was sure someone would pick it up & I expected it would be you.:laugh:

No I noticed my mistake but there was no edit button so I didn't post an amendment to see what would happen.

Was also pretty sure the clearance in the box was by Liam, but why let that get in the way of slagging one of our easy targets

Quite possibly my mistake, I was sure it was Scobbie- but how on earth is Scobbie an easy target compared to any other player? Its an Internet forum, it's quite easy to voice your opinion on any player. I go to the football and say what I see- namely I don't think he's good enough to play for St Johnstone. You obviously do- that's your opinion! You call it slagging, I call it an observation.

Saints Highland tour 1987 in Rothes. Just under 30 years ago

Ian, Alan, Alec,Danny and Don.  Don't know who the two wee fuds are!! 

FB_IMG_1468990264904.jpg

Braw photae Barry.

that wis a Braw weekend . What ever happened to the two wee diddys in matching t shirts eh ?

Quite possibly my mistake, I was sure it was Scobbie- but how on earth is Scobbie an easy target compared to any other player? Its an Internet forum, it's quite easy to voice your opinion on any player. I go to the football and say what I see- namely I don't think he's good enough to play for St Johnstone. You obviously do- that's your opinion! You call it slagging, I call it an observation.

I call it slagging when a player gets picked on for every single mistake, even when it's not his mistake, and all his good work is totally ignored yet other players are deemed untouchable. I wish we had stats for the amount of last ditch tackles/blocks etc saving almost certain goals that Scobbie made last season alone compared with his mistakes costing us goals.

I call it slagging when a player gets picked on for every single mistake, even when it's not his mistake, and all his good work is totally ignored yet other players are deemed untouchable. I wish we had stats for the amount of last ditch tackles/blocks etc saving almost certain goals that Scobbie made last season alone compared with his mistakes costing us goals.

His last ditch tackle at Pitoddrie got us into Europe just as much as Kane's goal.As you say some are untouchable, Eastons flank lost much more goals than Fisher, but heard nothing, Ando makes errors regularly, but hear nothing, because he scored 4 back post headers in ten years, albeit a cup final was one