New Strip Season 16/17

thesaint10

Assume they want a more appealing mascot for children, and a dog is far better for that than a **** with a huge nose. You then have to pick a legends name who also shares a starting letter with a breed of dog, Brogan/Beagle seems a decent attempt at that. They've probably done the right thing in leaving the reveal until the Family Day on Saturday too tbh.

Well done to the club on their ongoing efforts at getting the younger generation to games.

Personally I don't get it. Don't see the need for two mascots, don't understand the logic behind the name choice, don't understand why it's a dog in the first place, and don't see why time has been spent on developing this ahead of so many other things that have felt like they've been lacking this summer.

suspect the costume was going cheap

Assume they want a more appealing mascot for children, and a dog is far better for that than a **** with a huge nose. You then have to pick a legends name who also shares a starting letter with a breed of dog, Brogan/Beagle seems a decent attempt at that. They've probably done the right thing in leaving the reveal until the Family Day on Saturday too tbh.

Well done to the club on their ongoing efforts at getting the younger generation to games.

Understand that to an extent but there's a lamb on our crest so why not go with that? If going for a dog, why not choose Ormond which was, after all, the name of .;/Super Saint's dog in the original comic. And as much of a legend as John Brogan is, I very much doubt that many children will get that reference. At least Ormond is already the name of the family stand so it's a recognisable name and something kids will recognise. It all just seems a bit random and not really thought through - perhaps the Super Js (or whatever the young supporters' group is now known as) could have been allowed to choose the mascot and it's name themselves? That could have been a nice PR story for the club.

I also really, really doubt that many kids would think of Super Saint as "a **** with a huge nose". As far as mascots go I quite like Super Saint - it's something a bit unique and I always thought it was much better we had that than the generic dog/cat/bear that most other clubs seem to go with.

How do you know Brogan isn't female? Good to hear that acknowledging the existence of women is apparently now the domain of the "PC brigade" though.

Personally I don't get it. Don't see the need for two mascots, don't understand the logic behind the name choice, don't understand why it's a dog in the first place, and don't see why time has been spent on developing this ahead of so many other things that have felt like they've been lacking this summer.

Still, I'm not the target audience, and if it was up to me I'd only have chosen a transgender Muslim in a wheelchair anyway, so probably best to stay out of these things.

How do you know it's not a Muslim....... ...... they might well MussleHim later :)

I fully agree with Bluehaven. Super Saint is cheesy nonsense but he is our cheesy nonsense and that is half the idea of a mascot. An off-the-shelf dog with a name that will mean nothing to kids is utterly pointless.

The only things preventing a full-scare teardown of this nonsense is firstly that it doesn't matter anyway, and secondly that the club and Ross but be mightily confused how they get criticised for doing nothing and then again for doing something.

Understand that to an extent but there's a lamb on our crest so why not go with that? If going for a dog, why not choose Ormond which was, after all, the name of .;/Super Saint's dog in the original comic. And as much of a legend as John Brogan is, I very much doubt that many children will get that reference. At least Ormond is already the name of the family stand so it's a recognisable name and something kids will recognise. It all just seems a bit random and not really thought through - perhaps the Super Js (or whatever the young supporters' group is now known as) could have been allowed to choose the mascot and it's name themselves? That could have been a nice PR story for the club.

I also really, really doubt that many kids would think of Super Saint as "a **** with a huge nose". As far as mascots go I quite like Super Saint - it's something a bit unique and I always thought it was much better we had that than the generic dog/cat/bear that most other clubs seem to go with.

Because they chose to go for a dog. ****ing hell btw, its a move designed to integrate with children more and they decided a dog called Brogan was the best option, they could've had a sheep called Sheerin and they impact would be virtually identical. All they wanted was a fresh mascot they could unveil at a Family fun day to get children laughing, not to give some grown up guys some mental breakdown over how shit it is and how their childhoods now ruined.

Guest ScottMann

Because they chose to go for a dog. ****ing hell btw, its a move designed to integrate with children more and they decided a dog called Brogan was the best option, they could've had a sheep called Sheerin and they impact would be virtually identical. All they wanted was a fresh mascot they could unveil at a Family fun day to get children laughing, not to give some grown up guys some mental breakdown over how shit it is and how their childhoods now ruined.

Mainstand's hacked Random's account.

A mascot should be unique to the club, this is just the love child of hoopy the huddle hound.

Sake at least Sammy had a fifers Tammy! 

Not that it really matters in the slightest, but it does feel pointless and worst of all its lazy unimaginative badly executed pointlessness. 

Edited by Shaggy Jenkins

A beagle looks and has a far more child friendly image. Imagine they had gone for a Roddy Rottweiler! Mind you it could have then been used for crowd control.

Beagles were bred for hunting child friendly things like rabbits!

Can we not have a pre season where there's not a monumental **** up at McDiarmid please?

Let's state a few facts here. Super Saint is a fat mess with a huge nose. He is a terrible role model for children. Since the comic strip thing ended a considerable time ago, I highly doubt that many youngsters even know what he's meant to be. I've been scared of him since I was about 5 years old, and I genuinely don't think there are many young Saints fans who would bat an eyelid if he was gradually pushed out of the club.