Manager of the year

SJPERTH

The pressure on any manager who takes the Hibs job will be huge next season

Fair enough, the Scottish Cup monkey is off their back, and the cup money has bailed them out a bit, but failure to get promotion next year is not an option

If they fail to get up, they will be in financial trouble and surely the standard of player they could retain will suffer, in turn making it harder still to get out that league

easy job wth Tommy's skills

Don't want to get into a personal argument between you and Athens but was it not because Geoff Brown felt he was not putting enough effort into developing young players and instead looking for cash to buy in experienced players?

Correct

That was the "official " line. Sadly Athens is correct. The bitterness on both sides is adequately reflected in the fact Totten is not welcome at McD, and even if he was offered a chance to attend a game or two, I very much doubt he would choose to. 

Shame really... For me he was/ is a saints legend- his PR ability was superb. A skill developed selling tyres. 

Incorrect

is this the same guy that done a q an a before the partick game? :roll:

Correct

That was the "official " line. Sadly Athens is correct. The bitterness on both sides is adequately reflected in the fact Totten is not welcome at McD, and even if he was offered a chance to attend a game or two, I very much doubt he would choose to. 

Shame really... For me he was/ is a saints legend- his PR ability was superb. A skill developed selling tyres. 

rubbish, he was at a game recently, was paraded on the pitch and held up his famous hand knitted Saints scarf.  I didn't agree with the decision to sack him at the time, but what you have said is just not true.

In Totten's book (which is quite a good read) he says "I was really disappointed with the way my time came to an end at St Johnstone. To get manager of the year one season and the sack the next was weird. I was left shattered and bewildered by Geoff Brown’s decision - and some of his remarks. The day I was sacked was the worst of my life. Part of me definitely died when he sacked me."

Think the timing was a bit off, and like a fellow postee, reasons not to be shared on a public forum. However, if you had been one of the few Saints fans left standing on an Easter Rd terrace in a cup match you may have understood why? Half the Saints fans didn't return for the 2nd half ... Saints were 6th in the league which would have made the decision seem all the more odd.

I was a Totten fan, but I feel in all honesty he had taken Saints as far as he could.... The timing of his departure was odd, but would have happened sooner than later....

I thought at the time it was the right decision to sack Totten. What cannot be denied is from a PR perspective to be it was handled terribly. I will always be grateful for what he did for Saints but do feel at the end of the day what he is is an excellent lower division manager out of his depth in the Premier league. And yes I know some of our best ever results were in Tottens premier league games.

Think the timing was a bit off, and like a fellow postee, reasons not to be shared on a public forum. However, if you had been one of the few Saints fans left standing on an Easter Rd terrace in a cup match you may have understood why? Half the Saints fans didn't return for the 2nd half ... Saints were 6th in the league which would have made the decision seem all the more odd.

I was a Totten fan, but I feel in all honesty he had taken Saints as far as he could.... The timing of his departure was odd, but would have happened sooner than later....

I was at the Cup match at Easter Road.  Totten was sacked before Christmas (remember photos of him in the papers standing behind his Christmas tree?).  The Cup match was after Christmas and McLelland was in charge.  The timing was strange like you say, but I agree with you - his time had come. 

And he was sacked for football reasons - whatever Athens wants to think.

I was at the Cup match at Easter Road.  Totten was sacked before Christmas (remember photos of him in the papers standing behind his Christmas tree?).  The Cup match was after Christmas and McLelland was in charge.  The timing was strange like you say, but I agree with you - his time had come. 

And he was sacked for football reasons - whatever Athens wants to think.

apologies mind playing tricks... What I do remember was there were grumblings of discontent from some Saints fans re the performances.... I agree he was sacked for football reasons.....

Edited by Wendy Saints
Change of mind

Totten did some wonderful things for us. He was the manager when I first started watching Saints, and looking back I think his approach at the time probably played a big part in getting me hooked on the club. I imagine it's probably the same for quite a few of my generation. I think the reasons Geoff Brown gave at the time for getting rid of both him and Bert Paton are pretty much fair enough, but it's pretty hard not to acknowledge the fact that we went downhill fairly quickly after Totten departed. Perhaps that would have happened anyway. Who knows?

I do find it sad, though, that some find it appropriate to use the forum to hint at childish rumours and imply that the gossip equals the truth. Clearly, Alex Totten is still very welcome at McDiarmid Park, and always should be. We use the word 'legend' a lot, but he definitely is one.

Totten did some wonderful things for us. He was the manager when I first started watching Saints, and looking back I think his approach at the time probably played a big part in getting me hooked on the club. I imagine it's probably the same for quite a few of my generation. I think the reasons Geoff Brown gave at the time for getting rid of both him and Bert Paton are pretty much fair enough, but it's pretty hard not to acknowledge the fact that we went downhill fairly quickly after Totten departed. Perhaps that would have happened anyway. Who knows?

I do find it sad, though, that some find it appropriate to use the forum to hint at childish rumours and imply that the gossip equals the truth. Clearly, Alex Totten is still very welcome at McDiarmid Park, and always should be. We use the word 'legend' a lot, but he definitely is one.

I think we were regressing under Totten.  Whether we would have been relegated under him is a matter of conjecture, as the demise under McLelland was compounded by him apparently losing the dressing room which might not have happened under Totten.  Having spoken to McLelland a few times. I'd have to say I found him a very nice guy, but he just wasn't ready for the job.  If Sturrock had been appointed earlier then I don't believe relegation would have happened.

WAP in childish rumours scandal :razz: