Is Scottish Football truly incompetent?

Gussie

Brought in to dissuade their fans from boycotting ST's due to the Resolution12 issue.

It did the trick, I think they've sold around 50k ST's however, they should also have spent some money on a few quality players at the same time.

Edited by Indicator

First competitive game and Ambrose is centre half. How many seasons never mind games has he been a bombscare. How bad is their academy that they can't find anyone better than ambrose.  

Most embarrassing result in Celtic's history.........more like Scottish football. 

Rodgers was already being negative before the match almost anticipating the performance. 

As hilarious as that result is, it's probably just a one-off. If you want real evidence of how bad Scottish football is, just look at the Scotland team's routinely awful results under a terrible manager (who somehow manages to keep his job) whilst the other home nations all qualify for the Euros.

Having said that, I think the last few seasons of the Premier League have been the best ones I can ever remember. That's all about to be ruined, of course.

Preliminaries start far to early for our clubs who have barely finished a season, squeezed in a few weeks holiday and rushed back for preseason training.

In latter days, Scottish clubs involved in European competitions would likely be playing friendlies in a work up to season start proper. I seem to remember you were unlikely to have a European match until late August? Now you are shoehorned into matches in early July before Scottish teams have had a chance to become fully match fit.

It needs sorting out otherwise our coefficient is only going to get worse.

But never mind our magnificent football authorities are on the case, their number one priority has been to resurrect a dead, cheating club to ensure the return of  the mandatory number of quasi-religious hate-fests which many of us had hoped we'd seen the last of.

Edited by Indicator

Preliminaries start far to early for our clubs who have barely finished a season, squeezed in a few weeks holiday and rushed back for preseason training.

In latter days, Scottish clubs involved in European competitions would likely be playing friendlies in a work up to season start proper. I seem to remember you were unlikely to have a European match until late August? Now you are shoehorned into matches in early July before Scottish teams have had a chance to become fully match fit.

It needs sorting out otherwise our coefficient is only going to get worse.

But never mind our magnificent football authorities are on the case, their number one priority has been to resurrect a dead, cheating club to ensure the return of  the mandatory number of quasi-religious hate-fests which many of us had hoped we'd seen the last of.

It is only because our co-efficient has become so low over the years we are now playing early July.

The coefficient thing is not helpful. If you have a bad run, it goes down, and you get drawn against ever harder teams, making it tough to turn things around. Similarly a few good results (Lincoln - snigger) boosts you up quickly and gets you easier draws, putting you on a roll.

For reasons of stability and fairness the coefficient system should be scrapped and open draws used. Don't give a **** if that means Raith Rovers vs Dundalk in the final, it gives every team an equal chance and that for me is the ethos of sport, not tilting the playing field so the big boys always win just to keep the TV companies forking over money to UEFA for their corrupt executives to trouser.

It is only because our co-efficient has become so low over the years we are now playing early July.

Thank you for that observation, I am aware, but apologies for not making it clear at the time. I should know by now not to dash off posts first thing in the morning.

celtic have been back traing for a month and should have no excuses but with few friendly games it gives the little team the best chance they'll ever get which  is why i fear for the new format of the cup. elgin brechin etc will fancy there chances far more than they would in the scottish cup. also are we going to risk playing youngsters in these cup games that we would normally in pre season friendlies? 

Thank you for that observation, I am aware, but apologies for not making it clear at the time. I should know by now not to dash off posts first thing in the morning.

Please be aware I wasn't having a go at you in my post above. It is only down to the sheer incompetence of Scottish clubs (and also the national team) over the years that Scotland's co-efficient is now so low. I really can't be bothered to list the diabolical results over the years but there are loads. I don't think UEFA can be faulted for their co-efficient system bunching us with Europe's diddy countries because that is what Scotland have become sadly.

i laughed at sportsound at the weekend. they said this year will be different no disrespect to teams like saints well n caley but with the big boys back in europe this season our co-efficient will be on the up. so far celtic have had the most embarrassing result in european history and the sheep limped through. hearts a tad more impressive.

as for saints over all beating sides like rosenburg n luzern who had a much higher co-eff would have boosted scotlands co-eff. getting beat off eses made no difference as they were much higher also/ as for alashkert trnava minsk i cant remember how our co-eff compared but as a whole i think we improved it

i laughed at sportsound at the weekend. they said this year will be different no disrespect to teams like saints well n caley but with the big boys back in europe this season our co-efficient will be on the up. so far celtic have had the most embarrassing result in european history and the sheep limped through. hearts a tad more impressive.

as for saints over all beating sides like rosenburg n luzern who had a much higher co-eff would have boosted scotlands co-eff. getting beat off eses made no difference as they were much higher also/ as for alashkert trnava minsk i cant remember how our co-eff compared but as a whole i think we improved it

I may be wrong but I think the only Saints result which had a negative effect on the co-efficient was v Alashkert.

This is true but also it's because the competition itself has changed. If you look at the UEFA Cup of 1999/2000 (when Saints played Vaasa and Monaco), the very first matches weren't until 10th August. So there's been quite a big shift since then. This season's competition had started before the Euros had even finished - bizarre that UEFA would be willing for that to happen. A lot of ifs here, but if Saints had qualified and Northern Ireland had progressed further, we might have had to play in Europe without our first choice goalkeeper. Both the Euros and the Europa League (and the Champions League too) are massively bloated and need a complete overhaul of format. And personally I think scrapping the Cup Winners Cup was a mistake.

Also agree that the co-efficient stuff needs to be revised, although if you got rid of it completely I'm not sure how you'd work out how many clubs get to qualify from each country.

PS I don't think Alashkert were as bad as a lot of people maintain they were. We still should have beaten them though.