IRN-BRU CUP

Abernethy Saint

Better have a thread to cheer on the U-20's. First round on Tuesday, we have Turrif United at home. Finished 4th in the Highland League last year, although a long, long way behind the top three. With the depth we have this year, Tommy could include a few fringe first team players - is it 3 overage you are allowed?

Feel Saints have made a mistake here with pricing. 

Unless you have a Season Ticket it's 8 quid which seems a lot to watch the 20s against a Highland League mob.

While I don't think that is overpriced it does seem a strange price to charge. If there is a decent crowd turns up it could cause problems with getting change.

Guest ScottMann

I don't think we're exactly squeaky clean when it comes to not allowing reduced admission prices. Mind you, it was a while ago, maybe going back as far as last week at Brechin!

Do we have anything to give us an idea of how our u20s compare to teams at this level. Having never seen the u20s I have no idea whatsoever, although I'm aware some of the players may have been on loan at league 1 and 2 teams in the past.

I've gone in small on Arbroath, EC and Turriff, but if Turriff let my bet down that will be fine with me.

Do we have anything to give us an idea of how our u20s compare to teams at this level. Having never seen the u20s I have no idea whatsoever, although I'm aware some of the players may have been on loan at league 1 and 2 teams in the past.

I've gone in small on Arbroath, EC and Turriff, but if Turriff let my bet down that will be fine with me.

They played each other last month and drew 2-2 http://www.perthstjohnstonefc.co.uk/newsitemsdetail.php?param=4336

The under 20s were then defeated by Spartans 3-1 http://www.perthstjohnstonefc.co.uk/newsitemsdetail.php?param=4346

I used to watch HL every week. The top of the HL has always been as good as or even better than most of the bottom league Scottish sides. As I said before though, although Turrif were the best of the rest last year in the HL, they were well, well behind the top three. Saints should be technically better and probably fitter (bloody hope so), but many of the Turrif lads will be tougher and much more experienced. A good way of thinking about it is whether the U 20's would have beaten Stirling on Saturday. 

HL footy is Braw to watch, like real football in the old days. The guys you yell at on the park are your postie, or your kid's PE teacher, playing for fun and pennies, and you'll see them in the pub afterwards!

i think this tourney will be great fun. 

Pretty young team. Didn't recognise many of them & the teams not getting announced didn't help.

Even game until Saints scored & then I thought they dominated until they lost what looked like a sft goal from other end of pitch. Game even again but Saints had a few corners & hit the bar before a late succer punch due to poor defending.

Greg Hurst & number 4 were the pick.

Comrie was good at right back v Bradford but centre half is not his position.

Wasn't the worst of games- fairly even on the whole. Didn't think that any of the young lads on our side particularly stood out apart from Hurst, who looked very raw- but has lots of potential and Comrie, who isn't a centre back but showed he's got pace, a bit of bite and is fairly strong for his size.

Opposition were decent standard and aren't a million miles away from semi-pro standard.

Im assuming Gordon and Hunter, etc are away with the first team?