Feeling The Strain

Dave Ferg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Has anyone anymore info on the reported departure of our physio?

Not wanting to stir up any controversy here but we have had our fair share of injuries and associated niggles recently. We seem to have an unprecedented level of staff in the physiotherapy/sports science side of things but this doesn't appear to reflect in a reduction of players dropping out of squads.

Would anyone else be up for crossing the water and kidnapping young Fearghal to bring him back?

Laughed at the thread Headline name Dave.:laugh:

• 4 months later...

I noticed on the unofficial twitter that our physio has inspired a rule change concerning concussed players. More on the story here http://www.footballmedic.co.uk/2017/03/07/fma-member-effects-change-scottish-football-association/ and his full article is here - http://youronlinephysio.wixsite.com/youronlinephysio/single-post/2013/05/01/This-is-the-title-of-your-first-image-post

Very interesting read concerning the behind the scenes work on match day.

The third incident is very interesting. I wonder if anything was done to educate Mr Collum about his behaviour!

Edited by garydavidson

I noticed on the unofficial twitter that our physio has inspired a rule change concerning concussed players. More on the story here http://www.footballmedic.co.uk/2017/03/07/fma-member-effects-change-scottish-football-association/ and his full article is here - http://youronlinephysio.wixsite.com/youronlinephysio/single-post/2013/05/01/This-is-the-title-of-your-first-image-post

Very interesting read concerning the behind the scenes work on match day.

The third incident is very interesting. I wonder if anything was done to educate Mr Collum about his behaviour!

It looks bad, but how do we know Tam didn't say 'i'm just winded'?  Did Collum even know it was a head knock?

A lot of responsibility has to lie with the players, but their main priority is usually to carry on at all costs.  

It looks bad, but how do we know Tam didn't say 'i'm just winded'?  Did Collum even know it was a head knock?

A lot of responsibility has to lie with the players, but their main priority is usually to carry on at all costs.  

To be fair to Collum I don't think he did anything wrong other than making a judgement that he himself didn't deem the injury worthy of treatment. Pretty sure he can either instruct the medical staff on based on his judgement or can do so on behalf of the player who requests treatment. He clearly asks Scobbie if he wants treatment and makes a clear instruction to the bench that Scobbie is ok. Both made what could be argued was an ill informed decision in this case.

But what the physio is calling for is for both the player and the ref to be taken out of the equation and let the medical staff make the call on who is OK and who is not by being allowed on the pitch during an injury stoppage to avoid this sort of thing Seems to make sense. Really good article.

I've often wondered what all the groping and blathering was about during head knock injuries. Full blog is very educational and worth a read, first half a bit techy but skip down to the replays and analysis.

Remember Kenny Dalgleish's second goal in the WC qualifier against Wales - he always said he couldn't remember scoring it or anything else in that half because of an earlier head knock. Scary stuff.

Tony was our guest at the last St Johnstone Disabled Supporters Association meeting, and what an interesting time we had.

Fascinating. Our guests usually speak about their role at the club for 15 minutes and then answer questions during another fifteen minutes. One hour fifteen we were still going with Tony, covering everything from head knocks to injuries and treatment, confidentiality, his role in signings, etc.

To be fair to Collum I don't think he did anything wrong other than making a judgement that he himself didn't deem the injury worthy of treatment. 

Someone rubbing their head and struggling to stand up? Come on! You don't need a medic in that situation.

Edited by garydavidson

Medical Staff, following examination, should, imo, be the only personnel who make the judgement on the fitness of a footballer/athlete to continue participating in an event where a head injury has been sustained. The referee obviously has to make a call to seek attention for the player, as he should have observed the event, but the player himself, should not be expected, or allowed, to decide to play on as he might well be confused following concussion. When a player suffers a head injury he should be watched carefully, if allowed to continue, until it is clear that he is suffering no ill effects, like passing to the opposition (well, maybe not that in the case of some players!) wandering aimlessly round the pitch (mmmmm!). I believe the one week rule following concussion is still in existence.  That also makes good sense.

Good article by our physio.

Someone rubbing their head and struggling to stand up? Come on! You don't need a medic in that situation.

Like I said his judgement (and that of Scobbie's) was ill informed and that was his mistake but the point of the article is that because this situation can arise the responsibility for such a judgement should be taken away from the ref. If a medic has a concern they should be allowed to overrule the referee and step onto the field.

There should also be greater protection in the game for medical staff so they are free to make the correct choices and not feel the pressure of a or ambitious chairman. 

While there is a benefit to having club medical staff who know each player is there an argument that medical staff are supplied buy the SFA in a similar manner to referees in an effort to remove pressure from a football club as an employer (thinking of Mourinho here)? Although that said the SFA would probably end up employing Andrew Wakefield.

Like I said his judgement (and that of Scobbie's) was ill informed and that was his mistake but the point of the article is that because this situation can arise the responsibility for such a judgement should be taken away from the ref. If a medic has a concern they should be allowed to overrule the referee and step onto the field.

There should also be greater protection in the game for medical staff so they are free to make the correct choices and not feel the pressure of a or ambitious chairman. 

While there is a benefit to having club medical staff who know each player is there an argument that medical staff are supplied buy the SFA in a similar manner to referees in an effort to remove pressure from a football club as an employer (thinking of Mourinho here)? Although that said the SFA would probably end up employing Andrew Wakefield.

The less involvement from the SFA the better :)