Flags and Human rights are provocative

Havana Saint

The poppy isn't about glorifying violence - it commemorates the memory of those fallen. Whether or not the war was just, these people gave their lives in service to their country and they certainly deserve to be remembered for it.

The funds raised from selling poppies are used to benefit ex service people and their families. As with any charity, not all of it reaches the beneficiaries but the Royal British Legion is one of the better run ones. Charities have to compete with others for available funds, I dislike the use of paid-for help but if one does it I suppose they all have to do.

My great-grandfather and four of his sons joined the Black Watch Sixth battalion. I have a photo of them all smiling at Inveralmond the day they left. They saw action at Arras, Ypres and Cambrai. Nearly 10,000 men of the Black Watch lost their lives in WW1 and of my family only my grandfather returned.

What I have a pure logic problem with this ho ha is FIFA say no political symbols.  Teams in the World Cup represent countries political entities.  Their flags are displayed political symbols. Many of the national teams have elements of there coiuntries flag/coat of arms on their shirts, even if only colours, and the fans wave their countries flags.

Am I being dim or is the whole thing a confused mess.

Edited by Cagerf

FIFA's rules on this are actually pretty clear:

"Equipment must not have any political, religious or personal slogans, statements or images.

Players must not reveal undergarments that show political, religious, personal slogans, statements or images, or advertising other than the manufacturer's logo.

For any infringement the player and/or the team will be sanctioned by the competition organiser, national football association or to be justified by Fifa."

Don't think there can really be any doubt that Poppies are covered by the above. And I still say the FA and SFA are only making a fuss about this because they want to be seen to do so in the eyes of the knee-jerk tabloids and the poppy bullies. Let's not kid ourselves that these football associations are doing this because they care deeply about the issue and have suddenly sprouted some sort of social conscience.

"Blueheaven" I actually agree with 99.99999% of what you are saying........but I cannot accept that the poppy is a political statement. I believe SR and his sidekick Dungcaster are bad for Scottish football and the sooner we are rid of them the better. I do however fully support the SFA (and the FA) on their stance on this issue.  

You are confusing it being not supposed to be a political statement, and it not being a political statement. 
It wasn't intended to be one, and it shouldn't be one, but it categorically absolutely is, and this week has proved that more than ever

From the Royal British Legion website:

"The poppy is

• A symbol of Remembrance and hope
  • Worn by millions of people
  • Red because of the natural colour of field poppies

The poppy is NOT

• A symbol of death or a sign of support for war
  • A reflection of politics or religion
  • Red to reflect the colour of blood

Wearing a poppy is a personal choice and reflects individual and personal memories. It is not compulsory but is greatly appreciated by those it helps – our beneficiaries: those currently serving in our Armed Forces, veterans, and their families and dependants."

But I suppose all you left-leaning liberals know better, as usual..

And it doesn't matter whether you wear a poppy, what matters is how you feel about the fallen. The whole point of this thread is that the poppy symbol has been hijacked by the right wing and you now have to wear a GIANT poppy with huge leaves sprouting out of it otherwise you are a "left leaning liberal". The end result will be that ordinary decent folk will stop buying them because they don't want to be associated with UKIP types like your pal above.

Exactly the same happened to the England flag. No decent English person flies it now because it has become a symbol of moronic extreme right wing politics.

But vent away. It's a democracy.

It doesn't really matter for the purposes of whether or not it is a political symbol whether the British Legion think it is or not. I understand their view and completely agree it isn't a political symbol in their eyes, correctly reflecting the fact it shouldn't be one.

But it is. It is for other people all over the world, or more importantly, as war memorials in general are all over the world. The FIFA ban is on the category rather than the individual item itself. 

As I said above, the message of the poppy has now been stolen from the British Legion to the point where their opinion on it doesn't matter. Middle-Englander c*nts (all over the UK......) have stolen it and made it a political message used to intimidate and persecute people who aren't as UK-nationalist as they are. The last few weeks have proven that more than ever.

Goons who can't see that are exactly why the whole world rightly ****ing hates our cesspit of a group of nations

Edited by Jiangsu Sainty

Really wish we would stop this piety about wearing poppies at a fitba match. Theres a time and place for this stuff,

I acknowledge the sacrifice...in fact I reckon the old blokes would be a bit annoyed that poppy wearing has been hijacked by a bunch of people who know nothing about war, the fear, the smell..or the consequences.

• 3 weeks later...