moved match madness

Using April is no barometer killie were fighting for survival and we were going for top six however since its Charity I'll give you that bet 

Im coming in for the Celtic game on February happily hand you over 20 .. and vice versa will be in touch nearer the time meet at the central pie shop half time

Yo I know you have responsibilities so don't think I'm belittling the importance of your position 

Message for Lark why oh why are you so aggressive and quick to bust my balls have I offended you my message was far from expecting him to not attend his work more of a jest I know we've all went to a game instead of a function I've missed a wedding and important meetings for saints why not we all have  and we will again  

Aggressive? ?

the game was a 3pm kick off RG.. We'd have been home by 7pm and  happily tucked up in bed/ on the pish/ having a family game of charades/ jenga whatever. I have spoken to at least 25 saints fans in the last  24 hours who go to pretty much every game  but who will be unable to go to this one due to it being their Christmas night out.. Then there are a few others who have made travel plans to come home  and  fitted them around a Saturday game and  subsequently  now won't make the game.  I dunno about you but I like games on Christmas eve and new years day. gets you out of the house.. maybe it's an auld chunt thing.. I really think you are underestimating the amount of businesses that break up on the last Friday and have their  annual shindig that night..  Anyway, lets hope the weather phucks the whole thing up...:wink:

Feeling confident can we through in a pie and bovril. 

Add I'd a bit of edge 

Ive been to the Amazon basin regularly. I thoroughly recommend Parc Noel Kempf in Bolivia. Plenty of George O'Boyle there. But why the stramash about the fixture change?? 2 months notice. Hate killie with a conviction, hate the ground, but I'll be there & ejected after 5 mins.

Can't wait. First "live"game in a few years & then **** & Scum. Bring it on COYS

Edited by Melbourne Saint

I'm not sure, but the vast, vast majority of fixture date changes are within two months of the original date, so its hardly as if this is any different to when games are moved for TV/clashing fixtures. Its the exact same in most countries, with the likes of Spain and Italy willing to change dates within a month of the game. 

I agree that fans aren't generally thought about when games are moved for TV, but surely its not that unreasonable for the clubs to think fans might prefer to spend Christmas Eve at home than travel across the Country? 

I don't think it's unreasonable for them to think that. Again, my issue isn't with the game being on a Friday - my issue is why it couldn't have just been scheduled for the Friday in the first place, if that's apparently what's so much more convenient for fans.

Incidentally, while it's commonplace in places like Spain and Italy for fixture changes to happen at the drop of a hat, it's also commonplace for fans to be unhappy about it.

the game was a 3pm kick off RG.. We'd have been home by 7pm and  happily tucked up in bed/ on the pish/ having a family game of charades/ jenga whatever. I have spoken to at least 25 saints fans in the last  24 hours who go to pretty much every game  but who will be unable to go to this one due to it being their Christmas night out.. Then there are a few others who have made travel plans to come home  and  fitted them around a Saturday game and  subsequently  now won't make the game.  I dunno about you but I like games on Christmas eve and new years day. gets you out of the house.. maybe it's an auld chunt thing.. I really think you are underestimating the amount of businesses that break up on the last Friday and have their  annual shindig that night..  Anyway, lets hope the weather phucks the whole thing up...:wink:

With the greatest of respect, you're not the only supporter going. The clubs just used their common sense I think, and for anyone that would be avoiding a game on Christmas Eve. I enjoy these games aswell, adds something special to the occasion, but I can understand why they've done this.

I don't think it's unreasonable for them to think that. Again, my issue isn't with the game being on a Friday - my issue is why it couldn't have just been scheduled for the Friday in the first place, if that's apparently what's so much more convenient for fans.

I'm fairly sure the fixture computer schedules every game for a Saturday or Wednesday, and then games are then manually adjusted to avoid clashes in the same city, or adjusted for the TV. So I doubt any scheduler had any reason to change this day. 

I've no idea why the clubs didnt change the fixture earlier though.

I can understand why Killie and Saints have moved this but I do think they are wrong to have done so.

As has  already been stated why was this not done earlier, possibly immediately after the fixture list came out (even before it was made public)

I never had any intention of travelling to Ayrshire on Christmas Eve so personally cant really have any  complaints.

I am actually now more likely to go to this game than if it had been on the Saturday but my main stumbling block is that MY staff night out is on the Thursday so I may be unfit to drive on Friday.

PS  having read my post again there are a helluva lot of contradictions there but anyway.................................

Merry Christmas to all Saintees wherever you are and COYS

The fixtures around the holiday period this season say everything about how out of touch those running the game in our country are.

For as long as I can remember, games from early December upto Christmas have had lower than average attendances due to folk saving money for Xmas, doing their shopping etc..

On the flip side, the games on Boxing Day and 1st or 2nd of January have great attendances as many people are off work/  back in the area visiting family/ need to get out of the house(!) and want to go to a game.

This season we have a match on 23rd December (the 24th was poor planning in the first place as well) and none on Boxing Day.  Even more bizarrely, there is no game on the 1st or 2nd of January.

Surely it should have been no game on the weekend before Xmas, fixtures on Boxing Day, a game in the midweek between Xmas and new year, then a game on 2nd January.  After that you start the winter break if we absolutely must have one.

The fixtures around the holiday period this season say everything about how out of touch those running the game in our country are.

For as long as I can remember, games from early December upto Christmas have had lower than average attendances due to folk saving money for Xmas, doing their shopping etc..

On the flip side, the games on Boxing Day and 1st or 2nd of January have great attendances as many people are off work/  back in the area visiting family/ need to get out of the house(!) and want to go to a game.

This season we have a match on 23rd December (the 24th was poor planning in the first place as well) and none on Boxing Day.  Even more bizarrely, there is no game on the 1st or 2nd of January.

Surely it should have been no game on the weekend before Xmas, fixtures on Boxing Day, a game in the midweek between Xmas and new year, then a game on 2nd January.  After that you start the winter break if we absolutely must have one.

Spot on.

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure what impact it would have (none, most likely) but these points should be raised formally with the SPFL.

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure what impact it would have (none, most likely) but these points should be raised formally with the SPFL.

You would think that the clubs themselves would be aware that there are opportunities to capitalise on larger attendances and might themselves be undertaking the sort of action you suggest. (I know, I know)

I mean surely, but surely it is in their interest to maximise attendances if only for the purely financial reasons.

It never fails to amaze me, in fact its almost as if the clubs dont care whether attendances are hit due to ridiculous scheduling. They just seem to toe the line when it comes to the SFA and SPFL and yet these two authorities are supposed to be acting on behalf of the clubs (all of the clubs.)

It has been shown consistently over a number of years that these governing bodies are unable to administer the game with any semblence of competency.

(Rant ends)