Changes to improve the game

St.Fingin

Am I the only one who is fed up with rule breaches that spoil the game, reduce the number of goals , and are just downright cheating?

Two things ready annoy me:

1. When an opponent fouls he invariably picks up the ball and walks away with it. Thereby denying my team the advantage they deserve. In rugby , failure to retreat is a penalty 10 yards further on. It would be so easy to just copy that fine rule.

2. Defenders who deliberately hold on to an attacking player from behind. It happens all the time and I'd accepted by refs as " part of the game" .Well..it is NOT part of the game . Bobby Madden delighted all St Johntone fans early this season , when he gave three penalties for grabbing a player from behind in the box.

We all thought  that this was a new clamp down on buggery ...but sadly it has not been followed up.

Does anyone know how we can go about raising these issues and getting the laws of the game to be applied?

These two changes would bring about a more flowing game and increase the number of goals ,as either a penalty would be given or the attacker would have a fairer chance of scoring.

Do we write to the Referees Association, the SFA or whom?

Edited by St.Fingin

FIFA trialled the ten yard rule in football in a number of counties, including England, for a few years starting around 2000. It was popular with fans and referees, but was apparently scrapped because non Rugby playing counties didn't understand it!

Dunno if it's still the case, but the FIFA rules committee was always made up of  the home nations plus an equal number of others from the entire rest of the world. UK has a huge influence. I think proposals for change percolate up through the football hierarchy, so the starting point would probably be to lobby Saints. I don't know of any formal mechanism to feed in views from fans, because we aren't that important.....

4th official watching a monitor and    all the officials connected through earpieces, allowing ref to seek guidance from 4th official with linesmen joining in conversation if appropriate

Would save time rather than waste it - that argument can f**k off

Problem is that the linesman don't get involved, look at that guy running the East on Saturday, chose to ignore all the blatant holding  niggly fouls and time wasting by Killie, until these guys grow a pair, nothing will change in Scottish football regarding referees decision making 

Problem is that the linesman don't get involved, look at that guy running the East on Saturday, chose to ignore all the blatant holding  niggly fouls and time wasting by Killie, until these guys grow a pair, nothing will change in Scottish football regarding referees decision making 

They want to be called Assistant Referrees as well....what a joke - they often don't even decide which way a throw is until the ref does

They want to be called Assistant Referrees as well....what a joke - they often don't even decide which way a throw is until the ref does

This is because most refs tell them that every decision is down to them and all they want from the linesmen is for them to put their flag up to indicate the ball is out of play or for an offside decision. I know several guys who decided to go back down to juniors etc rather than put up with such crap.

4th official called upon to act as a decision maker if situation arises. Not just to hold a board up to signify how much time is left. Any monkey could do that..........................

Did you not see the numpty (the 4th official not the referee) on Saturday at Killies early sub holding his board up but it was not switched on!!!!!!

• 4 years later...

Looks like the ugly sisters have been/likely to be knocked back in their attempt to have their B teams installed in the lower leagues.

Sevco spokesperson Ross Wilson "Scottish football is missing out by not adopting the model. A programme of player development we fundamentally believe in".

This will only benefit them and not the game or Scottish national team.

I'm not in favour of them packing their teams with foreign imports, to the detriment of the National game.

Sevco have had years in the lower divisions to develop players.

Apart from McGregor (who was signed 2000/01) only 1 "home reared" player was listed in the 23 available yesterday and even he wouldn't have played had their Captain been fit.

1 hour ago, HOODLUM65 said:

Looks like the ugly sisters have been/likely to be knocked back in their attempt to have their B teams installed in the lower leagues.

Sevco spokesperson Ross Wilson "Scottish football is missing out by not adopting the model. A programme of player development we fundamentally believe in".

This will only benefit them and not the game or Scottish national team.

I'm not in favour of them packing their teams with foreign imports, to the detriment of the National game.

Sevco have had years in the lower divisions to develop players.

Apart from McGregor (who was signed 2000/01) only 1 "home reared" player was listed in the 23 available yesterday and even he wouldn't have played had their Captain been fit.

Said at the time Sevco should have played their young players when they were in the second division. They didn't do it then so why do they want to now.

If they had done it then ,by the time they got in SPL they would have had a team of home grown talent that may have been good enough to play for Scotland.