Saints v Partick Thistle 29/10/16

The ghost of Jim Morton

We're a victim of our own success. With the exception of Celtic, anyone can beat anyone else in this league and Thistle thoroughly deserved their win today. A blip in otherwise great times to be a Saintee. On to the next game.

You're absolutely right.  I don't expect to beat Thistle, or anyone, and I don't get too bothered if we get beaten when we play okay.  But I thought that second half performance especially was awful, and I think that's why many are so disappointed.

And let's be honest, tactically we were absolutely second best today, as we often seem to be against Patick.

It seems to suit us far more being away from home and the underdogs in a game.

Second best all over the park, no urgency or tempo, playing it about far too slowly, whilst Thistle moved it at pace and got forward much quicker to support big Azeed?? Up front who looked really good. There were a couple of great crosses put across the six yard line by Zippy and Spoony, that Macca should've burst a gut to get to, but was yards behind the play.

That was utter dross

There was no creativity from midfield, so what does Tommy do? Swaps Cummins (who gets worse every time I see him) for Kane, which in no way addressed the issue. Lazy, lazy substitution which showed no insight at all

The Coulson for Swanston switch was probably fair enough as Danny just wasn't at it today. But, should have been a double switch. Only giving Alston 10mins at end was really, really poor 

When we rarely created anything, why did the final ball need to be a lift into the box??

Poor by the players today, but the bigger mistakes were made by the manager

That was a dreadful team performance. We were totally flat, no attacking fluency in midfield. Thistle certainly know how to play against us and their 3-5-2 formation worked a treat, they deserved the three points. Whilst I agree that the strikers need the service, we need a cutting edge up front. Kane especially offers very little - back to goal all the time. Simply cannot see a future for him as a top league striker.

Going second would have been fantastic of course, but would have disguised our current lack of creativity. Thistle and Killie defenders have had an easy time of it of late in Perth. Liam guilty of giving away free kick for first and mucking about for the second. Onwards to The 'Burgh. 

COYS

I think that Thistle side looked very good compared to their league position. They are disciplined and we're quite fluent in changing between 3-5-2 and 4-4-2 depending on whether they were defending or attacking. 

Ah well, they will still likely fall apart when they visit Ibrox and get humped by a fairly ordinary bunch of journeymen in the same manner as Killie today.

The vagaries of Scottish fitba eh!

I've long since given up trying to figure.

That falls squarely at the managers door! Hideous midfield selection, sat and watched them play for 90 mins sat so deep it was practically an 8 man defence. 

Absolutely no plan b! Fairly obvious Paton was contributing nothing along with spoon and Craig yet the first sub as always is one of the front two. Even then after spending 80 mins being totally dominated in midfield every sub like for like. 

As much as I am raging at the complete bottle job I have just witnessed, I can't say I am in any way surprised. From the lack of boos at the end I don't think I'm alone. 

Killie and that today is utterly criminal! 

Agree. Don't know what Tommy was thinking today. Midfield was slow ponderous with no creativity & set up to defend.

Patrick were way ahead of us but the way we set up made them look good.

Why all the changes.

Apart from his contribution at our goal Wotherspoon was his usual self.

Danny seems to be believing his press & trying too much.

Zander seems to be parrying most of his saves now & could have been punished a couple of times. I used to criticise Mannus for punting the ball all the time but Zander should try it occasionally.

Joe probably had his worst game for us.

You can only get so far with hard work. You need skill & pace as well.T hustle were way ahead of us in all these.

I don't expect to beat Thistle, or anyone, and I don't get too bothered if we get beaten when we play okay.  But I thought that second half performance especially was awful, and I think that's why many are so disappointed.

This nails it for me. There are ways to lose and today was the antithesis of that. Second half of a home game against a team near the bottom of the league, with a chance to go second, and we have 40% possession and muster one shot on target. Not often this group of players produce something I'd call unacceptable but that was it today.

The tone was set from the start though and we need to get at teams right from the off when we are at home, as we used to when our home record was something to be proud of a few seasons ago. We let Thistle settle and they must have realised early on that the game was there for the taking today.

To try and find a positive, Richard Foster has been a really good signing and already looks like a guy that you can always rely on to produce a consistent standard every week.

A bad result today, typical saints we get a few good results beat Dundee at home, get a good draw at a fairly difficult away game then follow it up with a bad result at home against lesser oposition, heres hoping next we do typical Saints the other way and follow up a disappointing home loss against supposedly easy oposition with a good away win next week against harder opposition 

One of the worst team performances I've witnessed in a long time. :angry:

Looked like nae body wanted tae play fotball the day. Plastic Whistle, chance tae go second and  (and I never thought I'd say this again)WE HIBSED IT!!

If this team had half the belief in themselves, as the fans have in them, I'd still be in the fkn pub celebrating ither than sitting at hame ragin'.

I mean how we gonnae attract the glory hunters if theres nae glory? :wacko:

Absolutely OMSP.

How do ye expect me as a less than dedicated Glory Hunter to contemplate doing a 660ml roundtrip (overnighter in Perth) for the sort o' pish that was reported to have been dished up today.

Mind you I wiz nearly lured into attending to bask in the glory of holding the mighty (albeit journeymen) TRFC to a wun-wunner at Ibrox midweek.

Ach - just as well I never bothered.

Three games in six days.

Tired central defence (Liam G could've/should've played).

Tired midfield (Liam C and Spoony both well below par).

Tommy seldom starts to make a substitution till 60 minutes on the clock and then Callum takes time to explain the playbook.

But Thistle also played in midweek and it was 3 in 7 for them.

I think that's the 1st time in a long time I've saw a performance from Saints where they just looked like they couldn't be arsed with it in the 2nd half.

If Saints and Tommy have any aspirations this season they better cut that shit out. Too many games where we only perform in 1 half.

Three games in six days.

Tired central defence (Liam G could've/should've played).

Tired midfield (Liam C and Spoony both well below par).

Tommy seldom starts to make a substitution till 60 minutes on the clock and then Callum takes time to explain the playbook.

But Thistle also played in midweek and it was 3 in 7 for them.

Playbook is that what fitba come to, ]manager sending on a forward [son score goals] sending on a defender [son dinnae let them score] playbook sorted:laugh:

:sad: there is at least one game every season where you leave thinking WTF today was one of those games! 

Don't get me wrong ..like 99% of Saints fans as soon as I heard a win would take us in to 2nd place I knew we were fuqued! 

Don't normally wag the figure of blame at anyone but today I really couldn't fathom the substitutions .. Our midfield non existent.. Wouldn't matter who you had up front if they aren't getting any service you are never going to score!!

Chalk that up to a bad day at the office? Only a win on Sat next will help?!? 

One of the worst team performances I've witnessed in a long time. :angry:

Looked like nae body wanted tae play fotball the day. Plastic Whistle, chance tae go second and  (and I never thought I'd say this again)WE HIBSED IT!!

If this team had half the belief in themselves, as the fans have in them, I'd still be in the fkn pub celebrating ither than sitting at hame ragin'.

Thistle had a decent support & still we only had just over 3000 for a game that could have seen us go second in premiership.

Is that why the team is so flat at home .

Thistle had a decent support & still we only had just over 3000 for a game that could have seen us go second in premiership.

Is that why the team is so flat at home .

Do you think they're feeling underappreciated ? Hmmmmm.

Certainly got that impression fae Ando as he left the pitch.

Anyways next up, the yams onwards and upwards.

3 games in 6 days explains why key players were left out.

Kano ran his heart out as a lone striker at Ibrox on wed nigh as well as starting against dundee on sunday, . Alston played the full 90 on wed night  and Midgie played most of wed night after returning from injury

that explains the team selection it doesnt explain why the guys who played under performed