Car Park mayhem

mainstand

I see our beloved Police Scotland are playing silly buggers with regards to Car parking at Mcdiarmid resulting in the club even considering closing the car park for big matches. The next being Rangers on 28 Dec.

Crazy delays last night getting out not helped by the car park stewards who put all the cars into 1 Lane then open the pedestrian Lane and lead cars up there . Only for that Lane to be given priority over those that were waiting on the inside Lane. 

Not saving police resources with 6 cops guiding traffic on the roundabout near tesco.  

Last home game against Celtc I was walking up by Spam Valley and 3 polis walked right past a group of the worlds best fans, two of them pishing up against some bodies garden hedge and most of them singing some folk song or another, tae gie a woman with kids a warning for parking too close tae a junction.

( spam valley is hermitage drive for the uninitiated )

Not sure how the legalities would work with this but it does seem unfair that Saints are effectively penalised for having a car park at the ground whereas other clubs who don't have car parking avoid associated grief.

If Saints sold (or leased)the car park to a separate limited company to operate a car park (with any necessary licence etc) the liabilities could be mitigated.

The car park operator would operate the car park "independently" from football activities. If it was icy, it could be left closed meaning the game could go ahead.

Not sure how this would work with regards to policing etc but it may be worth investigating any potential advantages.

The health and safety issues related to the car park, traffic and pedestrian conflicts etc are a nightmare to manage.

Not sure how the legalities would work with this but it does seem unfair that Saints are effectively penalised for having a car park at the ground whereas other clubs who don't have car parking avoid associated grief.

If Saints sold (or leased)the car park to a separate limited company to operate a car park (with any necessary licence etc) the liabilities could be mitigated.

The car park operator would operate the car park "independently" from football activities. If it was icy, it could be left closed meaning the game could go ahead.

Not sure how this would work with regards to policing etc but it may be worth investigating any potential advantages.

The health and safety issues related to the car park, traffic and pedestrian conflicts etc are a nightmare to manage.

Worst nightmare would be is Smart parking got the contract, they are just highwaymen in disguise Dave......

No traffic should be allowed out of the car park until all foot soldiers/spectators have left the area. This works well at other grounds I have visited. McDiarmid Car Park is an accident waiting to happen.

Amazed that (as far as I'm aware) there's never been any sort of accident involving cars and pedestrians at the car park. There really should be some sort of pavement/pathway leading people on foot out of the ground, in a way that doesn't involve weaving in and out of moving traffic.

Guest ScottMann

Amazed that (as far as I'm aware) there's never been any sort of accident involving cars and pedestrians at the car park. There really should be some sort of pavement/pathway leading people on foot out of the ground, in a way that doesn't involve weaving in and out of moving traffic.

Totally agree. I can't believe it's still unregulated in today's H&S culture. I've had a few scary moments as a driver with opposition fans spitting and thumping my car as well as drunks staggering and suddenly deviating in front of it. I would have though this would have been the first area to look at but amazingly someone must be perfectly happy with it all.

One way to solve this problem would be to build houses all over the car park.supporters could compete with the residents for street parking .pedestrians could use the pavements.

this in turn would make us similar to most clubs where there's a scramble to find street parking.

saints could make millions out of this.braw

I guess safety of pedestrians inside the ground will be 100% Saints' responsibility as it isn't adopted highway. Makes you wonder what the repercussions of an accident would be. Health and safety really has gone OTT in recent years, and common sense seems to be a thing of the past, but the car park is dangerous for pedestrians, no doubt. More cars = more risk, but it's surely saints' risk. No wonder the cops want to wash their hands with it.

joking aside, SLF is spot on. No car park at traditional grounds means it's the police's responsibility as the conflict between pedestrians and cars happens on public adopted roads

• 1 month later...

The car park is just a shambles from start to finish. I have a season pass so choose to park there, but I won't be renewing it next year.

In all honesty I get back to my car and sit and listen to the radio until the place has thinned out a bit. However on the rare occasions were I have somewhere to be in a hurry the place is an utter shambles. Pedestrians wondering apparently aimlessly in and out of traffic is a real hazard. Why the stewards do not funnel them I have no idea. Then when that's all done there's always some grey-haired arsehole in a Mercedes displaying their sense of entitlement by barging through and stewards who don't seem to be able to count.

The solution, as I see it, is 2 fold: 1)Channel pedestrians into specific lanes and 2)First in first out for traffic.Empty the carpark from nearest the Ormond Stand row by row; the traffic to the West of the main stand comes out last.