Saints vs Celtic 05/02/17

David123

Henderson wouldn't have the opportunity for the first goal because we should have had a free kick in the lead up for a foul on Danny.

Also how many fouls were committed on Cummings by the centre back grabbing him every time that weren't given.

Thought we showed we can give them a game. Time Craig Thomson retired or was sacked for incompetence.

Henderson wouldn't have the opportunity for the first goal because we should have had a free kick in the lead up for a foul on Danny.

Also how many fouls were committed on Cummings by the centre back grabbing him every time that weren't given.

Thought we showed we can give them a game. Time Craig Thomson retired or was sacked for incompetence.

A couple of other goals were from the same position. Have to assume Muzz or Paton should be covering that position.

As a Celtic supporter, I have a great deal of respect for St Johnstone and TW... was never a penalty and I was hoping Dembele would miss it or yer man would save it. Would prefer to win fairly but them's the breaks. Was hoping BR would say that it was never a penalty in post match interview but don't know how much he saw.

Anyway, best of luck for the rest of the campaign.

I am sure it might seem like that sometimes - I probably don't see injustices against the opposition as much as I see them against Celtic, and I understand that at the moment they probably matter less to Celtic. If we're through on goal and an offside flag goes up unfairly, the chances are we'll be through again on goal in a matter of minutes. For a team like SJ against Celtic, it may seem that that one chance was the one golden opportunity that was stolen from them.

Out of interest, in games against the other teams, is the refereeing always fair? Are mistakes never made? Is it just games against Celtic where it is felt that referees are more inclined to give decisions one way but not the other?

As a Celtic supporter, I have a great deal of respect for St Johnstone and TW... was never a penalty and I was hoping Dembele would miss it or yer man would save it. Would prefer to win fairly but them's the breaks. Was hoping BR would say that it was never a penalty in post match interview but don't know how much he saw.

Anyway, best of luck for the rest of the campaign.

Decent post, thanks.

In your opinion, had that incident taken place at the other end, would it have been given, and given so very quickly?

Do you think if the Swanson/Brown tackle was reversed and in our box it would have been given?

What of the Shaughnessy incident where the ball was in play and play was stopped and Boyata was warned before the corner was taken again. In play, whistle blown = penalty, not retake. Would that have happened at the other end.

There wasn't just the one decision that was wrong. I'd guess all of them would have resulted in a different outcome in the other box.

I am sure it might seem like that sometimes - I probably don't see injustices against the opposition as much as I see them against Celtic, and I understand that at the moment they probably matter less to Celtic. If we're through on goal and an offside flag goes up unfairly, the chances are we'll be through again on goal in a matter of minutes. For a team like SJ against Celtic, it may seem that that one chance was the one golden opportunity that was stolen from them.

Out of interest, in games against the other teams, is the refereeing always fair? Are mistakes never made? Is it just games against Celtic where it is felt that referees are more inclined to give decisions one way but not the other?

Of course there's mistakes in other games, for us and against us. It's an undeniable fact that we've been shafted numerous times over the years against Celtic. 

Yesterday was a perfect example of the advantage Celtic get from referees. He's not 100% sure Swanson's been fouled so doesn't give anything, yet there's no way he can be 100% sure Watsons handballed it, yet Celtic get the penalty. It happens all the time against them, they get the benefit of the doubt from refs that we don't. 

Decent post, thanks.

In your opinion, had that incident taken place at the other end, would it have been given, and given so very quickly?

Do you think if the Swanson/Brown tackle was reversed and in our box it would have been given?

What of the Shaughnessy incident where the ball was in play and play was stopped and Boyata was warned before the corner was taken again. In play, whistle blown = penalty, not retake. Would that have happened at the other end.

There wasn't just the one decision that was wrong. I'd guess all of them would have resulted in a different outcome in the other box.

Personally, at first sight, I might have sided with the ref, given that when you see his view of it, you can understand why he thought it was a penalty (although my opinion is that a penalty award is similar to a criminal conviction - if it isn't beyond reasonable doubt, it shouldn't be given...). Even as a Celtic supporter I felt very uncomfortable after seeing the replay and was hopeful MD would miss... Had a decision like that gone against us I would imagine that some of the more extreme members of our support would have come out with some very unsavoury comments indeed. I'd have been raging for a significant period of time...

The Brown/Swanson thing had it been given, I don't think there would have been too many complaints. I have seen penalties given for far less, with opponents deliberately falling over an outstretched leg or whatever. It didn't look like yer man did that although I am personally an advocate of 'if you can stay on your feet you should' and abhor the current mantra of "he felt contact so he was entitled to go down" - utter baws - and I am honestly not sure how much was due to being unable to stay on his feet and how much was due to looking for the foul - although it did look more like the former. To be honest I could probably go through the game again and see a few decisions that didn't go our way but, as previously mentioned, I understand that an unfair decision given against Celtic is currently unlikely to be as costly as an unfair one given in our favour

Of course there's mistakes in other games, for us and against us. It's an undeniable fact that we've been shafted numerous times over the years against Celtic. 

Yesterday was a perfect example of the advantage Celtic get from referees. He's not 100% sure Swanson's been fouled so doesn't give anything, yet there's no way he can be 100% sure Watsons handballed it, yet Celtic get the penalty. It happens all the time against them, they get the benefit of the doubt from refs that we don't. 

You see for me, I see Celtic players being flagged offside unfairly, simply because they are too fast and the linesman is wrong... I see a Celtic player being blatantly obstructed in the box against Aberdeen Wednesday night and nothing given, I see our players being chopped down on their way towards the box and no reasonable sanction being given... although admittedly none of these makes as much of an impact as a penalty decision that was quite clearly not a penalty...

Good, level-headed points Jack, and well put. Better than the blinkered, utterly brainless 'bhoys' I have been foolish enough to try and reason with on Twitter 

You can't argue with extremists of any persuasion... As for me, I just don't like cheating, and I don't like seeing others cheated. It is a moot point as to whether or not Celtic would have gone on to win the game or not if the penalty had not been given - I would obviously prefer to believe that we would have won anyway since for me to accept that our win was solely down to a dodgy penalty would sour it slightly for me, but I can understand why that is being said.

It has been said that the penalty decision turned the game and was the sole reason for the defeat... Without wishing to pour petrol on any embers, I would not have been happy with that as an excuse on Celtic's part had the scoreline and the dodgy decision been the other way round, although as previously mentioned I do understand that chances (or unjust decisions) are at a much higher premium for other sides at the moment than they currently are for Celtic. I'd have been spewing had that been a game where we needed the points and been cheated out of them...

I think there was a lot of Celtic being on a record breaking run, and what if that run comes to an end because decisions are not given in Celtic's favour, and the massive backlash that would have resulted.  

Imagine it had been a blatant, intentional hand ball by Watson, and the ref hadn't given it.  Saints hang on and win 2-1.  The record comes to an end and the ref gets pelters in the media, death threats from the lesser brained bhoys, and a right doing from the SFA for making a mistake.

The bottom line is that it's SAFE for refs to favour Rangers and Celtic.  It's a RISK to do otherwise, and these decisions have to be made in a split second.  That is quite simply WRONG, and a major problem in Scottish football.

I accept that Celtic are the best team by a distance, but I think Saints as much as any team have proven that on their day, perhaps one out of every 4 or 5 attempts, when it all goes right, we can give them a game.  We did that last night, but it wasn't a level playing field.  That's what hurts.

Edited by montrosesaintee

I think there was a lot of Celtic being on a record breaking run, and what if that run comes to an end because decisions are not given in Celtic's favour, and the massive backlash that would have resulted.  

Imagine it had been a blatant, intentional hand ball by Watson, and the ref hadn't given it.  Saints hang on and win 2-1.  The record comes to an end and the ref gets pelters in the media, death threats from the lesser brained bhoys, and a right doing from the SFA for making a mistake.

The bottom line is that it's SAFE for refs to favour Rangers and Celtic.  It's a RISK to do otherwise, and these decisions have to be made in a split second.  That is quite simply WRONG, and a major problem in Scottish football.

I accept that Celtic are the best team by a distance, but I think Saints as much as any team have proven that on their day, perhaps one out of every 4 or 5 attempts, when it all goes right, we can give them a game.  We did that last night, but it wasn't a level playing field.  That's what hurts.

On the head.

Bigger teams always get the decisions. Bigger teams are typically better. But when underdogs fair well ultimately it won't last for long... A man and a whistle can see to that. 

I don't think we have refs who are great under pressure.  The old firm... Are masters at taking charge of the game through pressure (and historically bribes, refs possibly still benefitting). The Celtic squad and notaby the captain were seen applying pressure on the ref at this game. It's the norm.

Refs in Scotland are dire.. Have been for a while.  It's part of the demise of Scottish football.

I still believe Saints can beat the leaders this season. They are there for the taking and we are due a dodgy penalty against them. Which we will get of course.. Let's hope it's a winning goal, aka game changer in the cup final.