Saints vs Celtic 05/02/17

David123

A subscription to SportsnationHD is about £50 a year (or shorter term, £6 for a week). You get all sports channels, Sky/BT and all the club channels (even partick tv etc ). All HD.

Cheers Broon, a good deal more helpful than the other posts.  Ended up with a Now TV pass but that sounds a good option for the future.  

I feel a lot better now,not.

No word of getting it wrong at our 2 claims so thanks Craig but no thanks.

A real shame, that's how I feel about this. 

Looking at the weekend games you can bet that whoever Thompson is refereeing there will be no spot kick awards. He will be as jumpy as a rapist when any contentious decisions arise and if he's involved in the Morton cup tie even if the hatchet man from the new team Keirnan punches someone blatantly he will probably get off with it.........  

A real shame, that's how I feel about this. 

Looking at the weekend games you can bet that whoever Thompson is refereeing there will be no spot kick awards. He will be as jumpy as a rapist when any contentious decisions arise and if he's involved in the Morton cup tie even if the hatchet man from the new team Keirnan punches someone blatantly he will probably get off with it.........  

That's also very true.  Referees are generally under far too much pressure to make uninfluenced decisions.  Trial by TV has a lot to do with it, and the ridiculous appeal process where decisions are as unpredictable as the on-field decisions don't help.

Can't we just get back to honest Saturday afternoon football without any TV?

Guest ScottMann

It's already started of course but all this game is only going be remembered for is Celtic scoring a 'wonder goal' against this weeks canon fodder, St Jamestin, or something like that. Of course the world isn't told, or care, about the actual facts. All that happened was Celtic won yet again, this time 5-2 against some nobodies, to go 27 points clear in the joke pub league. 

I think there was a lot of Celtic being on a record breaking run, and what if that run comes to an end because decisions are not given in Celtic's favour, and the massive backlash that would have resulted.  

Imagine it had been a blatant, intentional hand ball by Watson, and the ref hadn't given it.  Saints hang on and win 2-1.  The record comes to an end and the ref gets pelters in the media, death threats from the lesser brained bhoys, and a right doing from the SFA for making a mistake.

The bottom line is that it's SAFE for refs to favour Rangers and Celtic.  It's a RISK to do otherwise, and these decisions have to be made in a split second.  That is quite simply WRONG, and a major problem in Scottish football.

I accept that Celtic are the best team by a distance, but I think Saints as much as any team have proven that on their day, perhaps one out of every 4 or 5 attempts, when it all goes right, we can give them a game.  We did that last night, but it wasn't a level playing field.  That's what hurts.

Agree with nearly all of this.  But giving them a game once in every 4 or 5 attempts?  Come on Monty :)

Agree with nearly all of this.  But giving them a game once in every 4 or 5 attempts?  Come on Monty :)

Don't know the stats, but I'd speculate that we have just about the best record against them in recent years.  We took 3 points from 12 last season, 1 from 12 the previous, 4 from 12 the year before that and 5 from 12 the year before that.  

So every 3-4 games then ;)

Would Mr Thomson have phoned up Tommy with an apology if the game was NOT covered by t.v. & NO highlights existed?

No, thought not.

Only cause he was made to look a right tit by t.v. coverage, pundits and journalists did he try to placate Tommy with the phone call and save his (good) reputation.

Or did he take advice from officialdom that he ballsed up completely?

Craig Thomson should make a public apology to all St. Johnstone fans for his incompetence last Sunday. He phones up Tommy Wright and says sorry, so everything is alright!? Well no it's not! He completely ruined a good game of football which people paid hard earned cash to go and watch. After his decisions the Saints players must have thought no matter what we do or play like we will never get a result, as no doubt he will find another obstacle for us to overcome. 

No wonder people stay away from Celtic and Rangers matches.

I

Don't know the stats, but I'd speculate that we have just about the best record against them in recent years.  We took 3 points from 12 last season, 1 from 12 the previous, 4 from 12 the year before that and 5 from 12 the year before that.  

So every 3-4 games then ;)

Aye, I recorded the game on Sunday and they said before it that Saints had ta Kent more points than any other club off Celtic over the last 5 seasons.  What I was alluding to is that even when they have won, we've still given them a game. 

Scottish football continues to descend into hell significantly due to fans rejecting the notion of supporting their local team and supporting a monster miles away in Glasgow.

Just imagine a country where supporters followed their local team.

Imagine all the people.....

I'm sure such things happen - but I never really had a choice...

Edited by Jack Snakes

Aye, I recorded the game on Sunday and they said before it that Saints had ta Kent more points than any other club off Celtic over the last 5 seasons.  What I was alluding to is that even when they have won, we've still given them a game. 

It'll be bizarre that in ten years people will look back and see us being beat 4-2, then 5-2, in games at McDiarmid, and just assume it was a cruise for them. 

It'll be bizarre that in ten years people will look back and see us being beat 4-2, then 5-2, in games at McDiarmid, and just assume it was a cruise for them. 

No unless they go Down the library and read the old PA s or ask auld stonkers who were at the game .

I don't actually believe our referees are inherently cheats. I think they are basically cowards who don't have the bollocks to stand up to the loud noises generated by supporters of the 2 ugly sisters. Whoever is responsible for our refereeing standards should consider putting our refs through some sort of psychological programming. They should be taught that loud noises should not really influence refereeing decisions. Perhaps then we could get rid of the institutional bias that so clearly exists in our game.

It's all in the mind. But I have to admit even an unbalanced psychological profile is not enough to explain Craig Thomson's decision. That one is right off the scale.