St Johnstone v Killmarnock 25/02/2017 Saints Day

garydavidson

It's not the fact that it's at least our 3rd time this season, it's historically been Saints problem of not taking a step forward when it matters, probably many other teams problem as well. Not addressing the reasons behind this is the frustrating part and although not deliberate, it should be getting addressed by the management team and it's not! 

Even last season we had to come from conceding the first goal to too many teams on too many occasions, giving our strikers too much to do in having to score two or more goals in order win matches!

This season with the exception of Celtic and Aberdeen every other team appears to be inconsistent, but it's my own team's mixed performances that I find frustrating as I'm sure everyone connected with the club does as well.

Like many Saints fans I fear that rather than being inconsistent, the results turn into a run of defeats in which Saints rarely manage to get out of the rut. Let's hope they get a result on Wednesday and yesterdays result will be forgotten in an instant.   

I have cooled down a bit since the game. Perhaps we could say moving to a back 3 formation was an attempt to address the problem of losing to bottom 6 sides at home. It didnae work, but at least TW tried. The bad bit though is not changing the system when it was seen to be failing until half way through the second half.

My memory says this our 3rd time this season where we could have pressed on top teams and failed miserably when the opportunity was there, as if it is deliberate.

It's a great shame really, if you were to take out our howlers at home against teams you'd feel like we should win then we be right up there with Aberdeen challenging for that 2nd place.

Maybe the players feel the pressure of expectancy at home now that they've never really had to deal with before and are struggling with it. Celtic are the only team above us in the league to have beaten us this season and we gave them a damn good run for their money a couple of times. We can go toe to toe with Aberdeen, Rangers and Hearts no problem. Put us against a team we are expected to win against and we crumble... especially when we have a chance to close the gap on the above is concerned.

Killie 'Saints'd' us. They ground out a good victory for them while being not necessarily entertaining. Sammon and Boyd gave our defenders a hell of a time. If Sammon didn't win a header, he did enough to put off our defenders. Exactly what Macca does every week. They knew how to close the game out.

As for Saints, not one player turned up today. I like Tams commitment, but he's really not cut out for this level. All too often he makes simple mistakes and gives off no confidence whatsoever.

Midge was very poor, but sometimes even a good solid player can have an off day. Killie got tight on him at every opportunity, so clearly a game plan. He should have been off sooner, but he's still good enough.

As for the rest, Spoony was terrible, Paton when he came on was possibly worse than Midge. So one footed and slow it is unreal! He must have tried to play the same diagonal 50 yard pass to Foster 5-6 times and each and every one was over hit.

We will come good, but our home form is a concern.

Generally though, I feel there is a strange atmosphere at the club. FCU doing their bit and Ross and the team doing well to promote the club, but there is something up behind the scenes. Tommy making a few public comments if late, Swanson contract, Sevco job etc. I think this summer might be one of change, but no fear, this golden period didn't start with a Tommy, it started with Coyle to be fair and it will continue for a few years yet. 

The best thing about Saturday was my white pudding super in Aviemore on the way up the road.

Lot of blame quite rightly directed at Tommy but Callum ( fresh from his Friday night out at The Scottish Golf Awards ) and our club captain must have had a say in the lineup.It was so obviously wrong what the uck were they all thinking.

Easton was lost in midfield hope we never see that again. 

Ando with one of his classic uck ups and Zander get a grip big man

Spoony awful first half hour but got better.

I left when the second one went in as I just didn't see any chance of a comeback.

Something seems to be unsettling things just now resulting in variable performances

Never had a better chance of Europe come on Tommy get us back on track on Wednesday.

The best thing about Saturday was my white pudding super in Aviemore on the way up the road.

Lot of blame quite rightly directed at Tommy but Callum ( fresh from his Friday night out at The Scottish Golf Awards ) and our club captain must have had a say in the lineup.It was so obviously wrong what the uck were they all thinking.

Easton was lost in midfield hope we never see that again. 

Ando with one of his classic uck ups and Zander get a grip big man

Spoony awful first half hour but got better.

I left when the second one went in as I just didn't see any chance of a comeback.

Something seems to be unsettling things just now resulting in variable performances

Never had a better chance of Europe come on Tommy get us back on track on Wednesday.

Not sure if there is anything unsettling as we have been the same at home all season. Even our wins have been hard faught.

Just a thought but did not Alan Shearer and Ian Wright say that Leicester had been rudderless and not playing for the legend Ranieri, before he was, unceremoniously, sacked. They questioned whether he had lost the dressing room.

From all accounts we were clueless on Saturday

I wonder what it has done to the dressing room at McD following the announcement that 'he (our legendary leader) would take the telephone call' if it came.

Just a thought but did not Alan Shearer and Ian Wright say that Leicester had been rudderless and not playing for the legend Ranieri, before he was, unceremoniously, sacked. They questioned whether he had lost the dressing room.

I wonder what it has done to the dressing room at McD following the announcement that 'he (our legendary leader) would take the telephone call' if it came.

Can't see it. Players like MacLean were telling MOH to "win his move to Rangers" in the press. The players are all acutely aware of how football works.

After facebook unceremoniously placed killies first goal highlights on my timeline, I can honestly say that the back pass Ando put back to Zander was criminal too high to kick cleanly and too low to header. 

Yeah but don't know how he managed to let the second in.

Guest ScottMann

I doubt it. Sad to say but there are probably a number of the Ibrox persuation in our squad.

After facebook unceremoniously placed killies first goal highlights on my timeline, I can honestly say that the back pass Ando put back to Zander was criminal too high to kick cleanly and too low to header. 

Agree. It was a horrible ball to deal with and he was also very unlucky that the Killie guy managed to hit it so well for a cracking finish. The second goal was a shocker for him though. Still, I'd like to see the goalkeeper that hasn't let a few soft ones in during his career.

Definitely to blame for the second imo.

Whilst he should have saved it, Shannon also had the freedom of the box after Scobbie got caught in no mans land. So whilst Clark has had a hand in both goals conceded, the primary blame lies a goal apiece with the centre backs.