The The Rangers (AKA Sevco) v Saints. 1/3/17

The ghost of Jim Morton

I don't think Ando has been as good since Wright left.

Yes agree he needs a Fraz type player alongside him. Joe ain't that.

Dave MC, Joe gets stick as probably feel Ando is our main defender. But to be honest I don't see Joe as our main defender with or without Ando, as still think he is not that great a defender, and not strong/tough enough, just feels a little bit too nice. You don't have to be in your face with aggression but he needs to be able to put the foot in, etc when required, and to date not seen this at all. I agree Joe is probably a better player, but not a better defender

So there is the conundrum, Is Ando our main defender or Joe? Who do you want our defence to be built around.

All our defence has been poor this year including Ando and are missing Dave and Fraz. 

That and ball watching the second ball and stepping back instead of attacking the ball to at least block the shot,he gets away with murder  on here, Joe is a far better player, yet gets abuse, 

Ando gets plenty of slaggings on here.

Mainly from you!

In my opinion Ando has generally been pretty poor ever since he got the captains armband!!!!

Yup. That's what I noticed early doors.

Ando is number 1 centre half though. No question. Joe was a full back initially but has formed a decent centre half pairing.  However still recall with shudders some of Andos earliest appearance. Bomb scare.  Always room to improve for everyone. 

Team with small budget losing last minute winner to team with much bigger budget shocker......

sheesh! 

So are you saying the players currently employed by TRFC are vastly superior in quality compared to the Saints squad? Or... is it simply that they are picking up greater remuneration each month? Hence the bigger budget.

Whichever way - they were down to 10 on the pitch at the end.

In my opinion Ando has generally been pretty poor ever since he got the captains armband!!!!

Yeah, I thought that as well. Don't think he makes a good captain either. I don't think I have ever seen them pushing on the team or having a go at anyone so strictly it should not effect him.

Quote button fail

Granted, they have signed a lot of bang average players on hugely inflated wages, however the guy that ran the whole game and eventually scored the winner(Hynman) is a million miles above anything we could dream of affording. I doubt we could attract a player of that quality(even on loan). 

So I would say they have at least some players who are vastly superior in quality, yes.  And 10 players or not, that kind of quality wins you games, regardless of whether there is a lot of dross around them. 

Edited by John Bonham

Ando gets plenty of slaggings on here.

Mainly from you!

I'm one of the few that can see the woods, he's an adequate cb, no more, too many bombscares for someone of his age and experience, Joe and Liam G is the future :wink:

Yes agree he needs a Fraz type player alongside him. Joe ain't that.

Dave MC, Joe gets stick as probably feel Ando is our main defender. But to be honest I don't see Joe as our main defender with or without Ando, as still think he is not that great a defender, and not strong/tough enough, just feels a little bit too nice. You don't have to be in your face with aggression but he needs to be able to put the foot in, etc when required, and to date not seen this at all. I agree Joe is probably a better player, but not a better defender

So there is the conundrum, Is Ando our main defender or Joe? Who do you want our defence to be built around.

All our defence has been poor this year including Ando and are missing Dave and Fraz. 

Personally I feel that the likes of Liam Gordon could play a big role at Saints next season. Whenever I have seen him play, he's proven himself to be commanding dominant and hard working. The exact Fraser Wright type player we are crying out for in our side this season.

I would also note that I believe Joe is a reliable defender and Saints would realistically struggle replace. Plus he is still young. I remember what I thought of Ando when he started to become a regular at Saints.

Just a thought?

Gordon isn't as good as Anderson or Shaughnessy. Its bizarre how Ando can be recognised by fans of other clubs as a perfect CB for this league, yet our own fans constantly demand hes dropped so we can play an untested rookie who's still living with the "honeymoon" glow our fans chuck on every U21 who barely plays.

Gordon isn't as good as Anderson or Shaughnessy. Its bizarre how Ando can be recognised by fans of other clubs as a perfect CB for this league, yet our own fans constantly demand hes dropped so we can play an untested rookie who's still living with the "honeymoon" glow our fans chuck on every U21 who barely plays.

Well I'm going to guess it's because other clubs fans don't see Anderson week in week out.

At no point did I say Ando should be dropped. Agree a solid defender and cracking professional for our club.

Well I'm going to guess it's because other clubs fans don't see Anderson week in week out.

Maybe, its a quirk that seems quite prevalent in Scottish football though. 

Andos been due a goal costing mistake for a while, tbh, he seems to get overly confident when on the ball when he goes long spells without an error, then he makes an error, plays awful for a few weeks before returning to the basics and being a colossus. Frazer Wrights influence over him was as simple as calling him a stupid **** whenever he started trying daft things.

Quote button fail

Granted, they have signed a lot of bang average players on hugely inflated wages, however the guy that ran the whole game and eventually scored the winner(Hynman) is a million miles above anything we could dream of affording. I doubt we could attract a player of that quality(even on loan). 

So I would say they have at least some players who are vastly superior in quality, yes.  And 10 players or not, that kind of quality wins you games, regardless of whether there is a lot of dross around them. 

Thanks for the response, points taken.

That'll be why they recently extended his contract until 2020, (always supposing the club lasts that long) they rely on friendly loans in order to meet each monthly wage bill. (allegedly)