I think the timing of the vote, if a vote is authorised, will be key.

The Westminster government needs to be be given as much time as possible. They need to prove to the Scottish electorate that Scotland are partners in the union and not just along for the ride.

What I think is clear is that this vote is a choice between 2 unknowns, it's no longer a case of voting No to maintain the status quo.

Kinda interested to see if NO's have become "yes's" post Breakshit.

Dunno, but I think there will be people who were undecided and didn't vote last time who get off the fence and vote yes this time, but fewer who will do the opposite.  You also have to factor in the time gap.  A lot of younger folk voted yes, and those who were 11-15 in 2014 will be voting this time, and a number of the older generation have sadly passed on - predominantly no voters.

I don't think many of those who voted last time will have changed their minds.

Although I didn't have a vote last time (and won't next time) because I live in England, I was totally a NO in Indy1. I've now lived in England longer than I lived in Scotland. I still feel totally Scottish but I also feel British. Therefore I thought independence was a terrible idea and I was delighted when the vote went No.

However, we now have Brexit, which I think is madness. And for Scotland particularly, which voted over 60% in favour of staying in the EU, the result is almost impossible to digest.

If I could voted now, I would vote for Scottish independence, with the hope that it would lead to Scottish acceptance in the EU. I know that's far from clear cut. The Spanish, in particular, will resist it mightily because it would send a message to the Catalans and Basques seeking separation there. But even so, it would seem a more positive act.

On the Spanish issue, they will not accept Scotland AS A PART OF THE UK, being eu members. They have said repeatedly that they have no problem with Scotland AS AN INDEPENDENT COUNTRY being members. Spain has voted ini 8 countries who were breakaway parts of larger countries, the most recent Montenegro. 8 countries. This is a unionist lie.

Countdown to reasoned, intelligent unionist position. In roughly this order:

1/ Nicola Sturgeon looks like Jimmy Krankie. har Har Har.....l

2/ Too wee, too poor, too stupid...

3/ IMMIGRANTS.....EU......WOGS.......

Lets not go down that road AS.  Interesting and thoughtful article....

http://www.scotsman.com/news/opinion/darren-loki-mcgarvey-yes-campaign-must-drop-the-moral-argument-1-4391456

On the Spanish issue, they will not accept Scotland AS A PART OF THE UK, being eu members. They have said repeatedly that they have no problem with Scotland AS AN INDEPENDENT COUNTRY being members. Spain has voted ini 8 countries who were breakaway parts of larger countries, the most recent Montenegro. 8 countries. This is a unionist lie.

The point about iScotland's EU membership is often misunderstood.

The EU functions on the wishes of the big 3, UK, France and Germany, (the net contributors) these 3 generally get their way whilst the rest fit in where they can and angle for advantage within that framework.  The UK were often seen as an unwilling, recalcitrant 'partner' who have been given opt outs on a variety of key policy areas, and substantial rebates, hence the ire of the EU nations, who cannot understand why they have spent the best part of 40 years endlessly accommodating the UK on the Euro, Schengen etc. only for them to throw the toys out the pram. The question now is will an iScotland inherit the UK opt-outs?  For this to happen 27 nations would need to agree.  Spain would have little objection to an iScotland joining the EU, but they would have serious issues if they were to be given UK opt outs.....and they would not be alone, secessionist movements are present in Poland, Belgium, France, Italy and Ireland is a minefield.  To give Scotland, any kind of 'sweetheart' deal, would be seen as encouragement to others, (Euro,deficit reduction, schengen and the rest!) at a time when the entire EU project is crumbling.......its unlikely to end well.  No one is arguing iScotland would be excluded from membership of the EU, indeed the entire organisation has been geared towards increasing membership, but what kind of deal will we get?  If Sturgeon is smart....and she is, very......this announcement is an opening gambit, to force Westminster to agree to a indyref, but make them kick it into the future, post Brexit negotiations perhaps 2020/1, she then gains kudos for compromising and being reasonable.  If Brexit is the mess it is shaping up to be, the indy movement will be in a strong position to win.........if on the other hand she listens to the zealots in her movement who want UDI yesterday, she is taking a huge gamble.

Edited by Smarmy Arab