The Labour Party destroyed itself by working with and for the Tories during Indyref 1 (and on numerous other occasions since, such as voting for/abstaining Tory austerity, and enabling Brexit). If you think the Tories think their "work" is destroying labour anymore, you haven't been watching. There is some good news for you: Corbyn, who we are told is absolutely terrible, is still polling at a higher % across the UK than Ruth the Tank, who we are told is brilliant and fantastic, is polling in Scotland. That will only last as long as it takes the rest of The Rangers mob to move allegiance from Labour to Tory. 

The Labour Party destroyed itself by working with and for the Tories during Indyref 1 (and on numerous other occasions since, such as voting for/abstaining Tory austerity, and enabling Brexit). If you think the Tories think their "work" is destroying labour anymore, you haven't been watching. There is some good news for you: Corbyn, who we are told is absolutely terrible, is still polling at a higher % across the UK than Ruth the Tank, who we are told is brilliant and fantastic, is polling in Scotland. That will only last as long as it takes the rest of The Rangers mob to move allegiance from Labour to Tory. 

I understand why you want to keep talking about Labour, keeps attention away from the bat-shittery being proposed around indy, but I suppose it is relevant in terms of alternatives.

The problems of the Labour Party are deeper and more complex than being part of Better Together, indeed out of all the shallow talking points of the last ref this is among the most shallow.  Social democratic parties face a crisis of identity all over Western Europe, and the challenge is coming from populist nationalist movements. In Scotland Labour suffered from the usual ailments that afflict a party who have been in power too long;  over confidence, arrogance, corruption, indifference to criticism, promotion of mediocrities.  

Here is the rub, the SNP are now sliding into the same territory although they will probably do well in the next set of local elections,  they will for example take the 'holy grail' of Glasgow...... which leads me on to my next point. I note with interest your clumsy efforts to drag Scotland's shame into this debate.  My long term fear is the 'Ulsterisation' of Scottish political discourse, where we seem to be heading for a quasi sectarian divide of Unionists and Nationalists.  I have lost count of the number of Celtic fans whose hatred of 'Brits' is filtered down through Scots/Irish heritage,  (I grew up among such ideas) and has led them to support indy,  The Labour Party for decades bridged this gap with a sense of working class solidarity that seemed to provide a balance to the anti catholic structures of Scottish culture, but the often brutal processes of de-industrialisation have now fragmented class solidarity and the potent and totemic presence of Scottish nationalism is currently dominant.  IMO It would be an error to consider the SNP as a replacement for Labour in terms of their commitment to progressive politics.  They care not one f*ck about the economic consequences of their indy plans, it is either indignant denial or more recently, they that they have started admitting there will be substantial economic challenges faced by an iscotland, it appears the next generation of young people just have to accept they will be collateral damage for the greater good, there prospects shrivelled substantially over the next decade or two.  

I'm not considering the SNP as a replacement for Labour. They have replaced Labour. They ARE Labour, just without the uni-brain celled, pathetic troughers that Labour put up for election time after time after time. Tommy Shepherd, who I knew a bit at uni, is a classic example of the rump of decent Labour politicians who crossed over, along with three quarters of the voters, leaving just The People. The SNP in fact had great difficulty with Catholic voters for a long time because of their progressive ideas on abortion, gay rights etc. 

However, if you took out the ridiculously over the top Daily Mail SNPBAD shite in there, that's a generally decent analysis. 

I'm getting pissed in Newtonmore, so will leave it at that.

Edited by Abernethy Saint

Yes the SNP have 'replaced' Labour as the governing party, but they are not Labour and never will be.  The Labour Party was born of the struggles of the wider Labour movement, in the 19th century.  While they were planning for the post war welfare state, which delivered a standard of living beyond the wildest dreams of our grandparents the SNP were offering Hitler a Vichy parliament.  

Hope you enjoyed Newtonmore, had a fab night there a few years back, pubs were fantastic.

That particular slur against the SNP is fairly disgraceful, Smarmy. The leader of the SNP was briefly arrested, exonerated and then released. That's ALL there is behind the "SNP supported the Nazis" lie. Let's try to keep it a bit more civilised than that. Meanwhile, several Unionist MP's from Scotland were detained for the duration of the war. For being actual Nazis. But hey, facts.....

Newtonmore was good. Now in Nairn. 

You seem sensitive to any accusations that equate Nationalism with the far right.......I understand that, and am being a tad mischievous, and in no way am I accusing the current SNP of belonging to the far right.  However, the SNP can take our votes...they can take our policies....but they have no claim to our heritage.  The heritage of the SNP reeks, fascist beginnings, anglo-phobic Tories for the greater part of their history, and now a deformed protest vote bandwagon.  

The Labour Party have a noble heritage, peerless in delivering progressive change for the working people of these islands.

Nairn, another great wee toon, the micro climate is astonishing.  Enjoy!.

Theresa to meet with wee Jimmy ( Nicola ) Krankie.

Why the need to refer to our elected First Minister in that way but generous enough to the call the Prime Minister by her first name? Not very nice Tony.

Now that the Scottish Government has a democratic mandate for a referendum I can't see how Westminster can ignore it. They wouldn't have been happy for the EU to tell them to sling their hook today. Massive positive is that the younger generation are overwhelmingly pro-independence, the indy movement just has to get them to vote! 

Genuinely hope my wee girl will grow up in an independent Scotland. She certainly has an amazing role model in Nicola Sturgeon.