FK Trakai (H) - Europa League Round 1 - 29/06/17

Abernethy Saint

Going for 3-0 Saints, if we go about it the right way. I think we're more organised than we have been for Europe than we ever have been, and thats with injuries throughout the team.

Presuming we're not signing anyone else in the next few hours, here is my team:

Clark

Foster   Shaughnessy    Gordon    Craig

Wotherspoon Scougall   Davidson    Alston

Maclean

Kane

Not sure Ando's situation but from what we've heard it could be a nasty one and will be out. Gilchrist could also be an option but with Gordon getting the nod at Aberdeen last year I feel Tommy has more faith in him for a big occasion.

Wotherspoon and Alston could each play on either wing which gives us a bit of diversity. Would have loved to bring MOH in before tomorrow but it doesn't sound like one that will happen over night. Maybe the next round(fingers crossed).

Craig at left back is a decent option in my eyes, experience and can step up to the occasion. Tommy clearly feels like he didn't have to get a left back in in time for this one, so must have a plan.

We've still got some decent players to bring off the bench with this team that can make a difference too. Paton, Thomson, Cummins etc. Touch wood none of our back four end up on the deck.

A 4-4-2 is a must in this game. We can't hold back against this lot or we could end up regretting it like in the past.

If we have confidence and no respect we will get a result.

Apologies for mammoth post, getting excited for tomorrow! COYS. 

I don't think we'll be as attacking as that. I think Macca will play as a lone striker with Scougall supporting him as an attacking midfielder and two central midfielders (Paton next to Davidson/Millar) behind them. I also reckon Easton will start and Tanser will be on the bench.

I'm expecting this to be a bloody tough game as they've got some serious pedigree in their line-up. We absolutely have to play to win but I don't think you'll see us go all-out attack.

Guest ScottMann

Worth noting that Scougall appears to be a 1 in 10 scorer so hopefully he's not going to be looked on as a striker substitute until we get the mythical goalscoring jewel we await. 

Scougall has barely had a pre-season and has spent the last 2 weeks in Dubai on holiday. I doubt he's up to speed, let alone match fit, so I'd be amazed if he started. Wright will go with the players he knows and trusts and I suspect Scougall will get the last 20 or so if we need him. 

Worth noting that Scougall appears to be a 1 in 10 scorer so hopefully he's not going to be looked on as a striker substitute until we get the mythical goalscoring jewel we await. 

Goals within a different league. Positive attitude from players, staff and fans and we will be grand.COYS

I'll be pretty surprised if that's the line-up. I reckon Scougall and Paton will both start.

I'm not sure Paton is that long back in training. 

I think it was Radford who mentioned it on P&B, but with Macca being out of the second leg, we'd usually expect a lone front man with Swanson in behind. That role will likely be taken by Scougall. We may decide to leave him out with the second leg in mind. 

Guest ScottMann

Goals within a different league. Positive attitude from players, staff and fans and we will be grand.COYS

Two different leagues! Not being negative, just realistic and hoping everyone else will be too.I'll be more than happy if 'all' he does is set them up for everyone else.

I'm not sure Paton is that long back in training. 

I think it was Radford who mentioned it on P&B, but with Macca being out of the second leg, we'd usually expect a lone front man with Swanson in behind. That role will likely be taken by Scougall. We may decide to leave him out with the second leg in mind. 

Has Paton not been playing for NI so should be fit.

I'm not sure how well suited Paton's style will be to European referees - I think a more subtle (Craig/Millar/Davidson) style might be better. Looking forward to the game - European games are always a complete unknown and a nice break from the norm. No matter how good or bad they are if they have a bit of pace and a decent amount of technical ability then we will need to be on our guard. We've seen it too many times that eastern European teams are streets ahead in gamesmanship and have that ability to suckerpunch when not on top. 

I'm not sure how well suited Paton's style will be to European referees - I think a more subtle (Craig/Millar/Davidson) style might be better. Looking forward to the game - European games are always a complete unknown and a nice break from the norm. No matter how good or bad they are if they have a bit of pace and a decent amount of technical ability then we will need to be on our guard. We've seen it too many times that eastern European teams are streets ahead in gamesmanship and have that ability to suckerpunch when not on top. 

Never heard Muzz's style called subtle before :laugh: