FK Trakai (A) - Europa League Round 1 - 06/07/17

Ali91

I was in the group that allegedly didn’t pay their €50 drink & food bill and am amazed at how gullible some people have been. The facts are that the bill was indeed paid as I paid it! After the first couple of rounds I ordered some food and they requested I paid €21 for the drinks we had drunk before they would bring the food which is what I did. I then paid €9 for the food - mini dumplings in white wine sauce stuffed with fish which were excellent and a bowl of chips - and then a further €21 for drink. So you will no doubt be pleased to know that you have boosted the black economy (and the young waiters meagre wages) by €50 ! Perhaps next time you are feeling generous (or sanctimonius) you should just donate directly to the Saints Youth Development instead of Lithuanian Youth Development. How does the saying go “ a fool and his money……….”

I too had a really enjoyable trip but one disappointing thing for me was to hear how readily some Saints fans believed locals of fellow Saints fans “dishonesty” without checking the facts. Yes the Lithuanians were very friendly, however they were also very adapt at making as much money out of visitors while they can. This was evidenced by the wide range of prices charged by taxi drivers for the same airport trip (€8 to €25).

I actually believe you regarding this as one of the bartenders came over to me after a group of Saints fans left saying they hadn't paid and I paid around €40 for them. I thought that the Saints fans had just forgotten but it's making a bit more sense now.

What a trip though, although a very poor performance in fairness. I didn't boo myself but I can understand others who did. Fans of every club boo a very inept performance and I've heard it many times at McDiarmid after losing to much better teams than Trakai. They are shite. 

I actually believe you regarding this as one of the bartenders came over to me after a group of Saints fans left saying they hadn't paid and I paid around €40 for them. I thought that the Saints fans had just forgotten but it's making a bit more sense now.

What a trip though, although a very poor performance in fairness. I didn't boo myself but I can understand others who did. Fans of every club boo a very inept performance and I've heard it many times at McDiarmid after losing to much better teams than Trakai. They are shite

No one has said anything yet that has convinced me of anything other than we lost to Cowdenbeath. Home and Away.

No one has said anything yet that has convinced me of anything other than we lost to Cowdenbeath. Home and Away.

I'm interested to see how they get on in the next round. I'd be shocked at everything other than an utter thrashing.

During the warm-up Trakai were shooting in at our end. Only two of their players managed to get any shots on target, the rest were ballooning them over the bar, miles wide etc. Their no. 9, the wee black lad Oscar and one of their midfielders were quite good, the rest were hammer throwers and divers. Actually it's bigging them up to compare them to the Blue Brasil, I'd say more Jeanfield Swifts those three players apart. We must have had 70% possession in that game but we just didn't do anything effective with it.

I'm interested to see how they get on in the next round. I'd be shocked at everything other than an utter thrashing.

They'll get horsed by Norrkoping, as would we. 

I don't think they are as bad as people are making out. They set up to not concede at home and it worked. They also managed to score on the break.

For all the possession we had, we created next to nothing apart from a few set pieces. 

We're beginning to sound like the OF when we take points off of them. Give credit where it is due. 

They'll get horsed by Norrkoping, as would we. 

I don't think they are as bad as people are making out. They set up to not concede at home and it worked. They also managed to score on the break.

For all the possession we had, we created next to nothing apart from a few set pieces. 

We're beginning to sound like the OF when we take points off of them. Give credit where it is due. 

Why would we? We weren't horsed by either Rosenborg or Luzern. We would probably get beaten, but to say that we'd get horsed is silly IMO. Trakai will get hammered because their players are utterly terrible and get paid about ten pounds a week. If they were any good they wouldn't be playing in Lithuania, simple as that.

People need to stop making excuses for what was one of the most embarrassing results for Scottish football of all time.

Saints have been absolutely incredible over the past few seasons and have rightly been given heaps of praise. But when they play terribly the team aren't immune from criticism IMO. 

Why would we? We weren't horsed by either Rosenborg or Luzern. We would probably get beaten, but to say that we'd get horsed is silly IMO. Trakai will get hammered because their players are utterly terrible and get paid about ten pounds a week. If they were any good they wouldn't be playing in Lithuania, simple as that.

People need to stop making excuses for what was one of the most embarrassing results for Scottish football of all time.

Saints have been absolutely incredible over the past few seasons and have rightly been given heaps of praise. But when they play terribly the team aren't immune from criticism IMO. 

Players have left the Lithuanian league for the top flight of Polish and Greek football in the past few seasons, and the league is apparently scouted by most Bundesliga clubs aswell. Trakai get to use a state of the art academy for their youth players too. 

Too many folk in this Country have assumptions about Eastern European leagues which, frankly, haven't been true for over twenty years. 

Players have left the Lithuanian league for the top flight of Polish and Greek football in the past few seasons, and the league is apparently scouted by most Bundesliga clubs aswell. Trakai get to use a state of the art academy for their youth players too. 

Too many folk in this Country have assumptions about Eastern European leagues which, frankly, haven't been true for over twenty years. 

They seemed to have a tie-up with AC MIlan!

The owner is pumping money into the team.

Their captain is Lithuanian's national team captain.

I'm not in the camp of "they were cowdenbeath" - clearly not, because they butchered us home AND away (when playing shite).

Scottish football is square, flat, lacks panache or athleticism / flair..... our best players make it to league one england or championship, both "hustle/bustle" leagues. Not the EPL with a technical game - shame, we are not adapting IMO. 

Their league is ranked incredibly far down the rankings (aren't they actually below Luxembourg and NI?). Should UEFA stop making assumptions about Eastern European leagues as well? Their national team is shite as well and the Scottish national team were rightly criticised for not soundly beating them.

Stop making excuses because you wear Saints jammies to bed every night.

Edited by Vieri

Their league is ranked incredibly far down the rankings (aren't they actually below Luxembourg and NI?). Should UEFA stop making assumptions about Eastern European leagues as well? Their national team is shite as well and the Scottish national team were rightly criticised for not soundly beating them.

Stop making excuses because you wear Saints jammies to bed every night.

The UEFA rankings, much like the FIFA world rankings, are a complete joke. I'm staggered anyone actually takes anything from them. Next season teams will have their UEFA club ranking increased if they've previously won a European trophy. Red Star Belgrade will jump ~50 places based on something that happened in 1991.

We should have beaten Trakai, but calling them "Cowdenbeath" and claiming they earn £10pw is absolutely miles off the mark. 

I haven't seen anyone say anything to suggest they think Saints should be immune from criticism. Quite the opposite in fact, if you regularly read what Saints fans have to say online. A lot of the criticism has been way over the top.

We should have beat them - no doubt about that - but this 'Cowdenbeath' stuff is absolute nonsense too. They were comfortably of Scottish Premier League standard and in the first leg they played better football against us than either Aberdeen or Sevco produced against us when I saw them at McDiarmid last season. As for the sweeping generalisation that if they were any good they wouldn't be playing in Lithuania - a lot of them were young players who may well get a chance to move on later in their careers. Perhaps you could also say about Saints that if our players were any good they wouldn't be playing in Scotland?

I actually think Saints might have gone on to do OK against Norrkoping if we'd got through - we'd be further into our pre-season and we'd also be going into the tie as underdogs, which suits us a lot better.

I watch a lot of Swedish football. Probably more than I do Scottish. I feel qualified to state that we'd get horsed as they are the type of team we struggle against, even more so without Ando and Easton.

They have pace in abundance, attack in huge numbers with a lot of width and move the ball very quickly. 

They play like Celtic. Rosenberg were a struggling side when we played them. 

Edited by Pat McGroin

get paid about ten pounds a week. If they were any good they wouldn't be playing in Lithuania..

Trakai get to use a state of the art academy for their youth players too. 

We should have beaten Trakai, but calling them "Cowdenbeath" and claiming they earn £10pw is absolutely miles off the mark. 

I believe their wage budget isn't a kick in the arse off being the same as ours....

Edited by R.B.B:- Adz

I watch a lot of Swedish football. Probably more than I do Scottish. I feel qualified to state that we'd get horsed as they are the type of team we struggle against, even more so without Ando and Easton.

They have pace in abundance, attack in huge numbers with a lot of width and move the ball very quickly. 

They play like Celtic. Rosenberg were a struggling side when we played them. 

Okay vilken lag hejar du pa? :)