Lack of Ambition or Direction

St Mikey

Not sure what those claiming lack of ambition are really looking for.  Clearly unhappy with a 4th placed finish so which of the 3 sides above us do you think we should be outspending. 

Do not have to outspend them to out perform them.

Bringing players in we buy into the team work rate ethos is better than a big bucks champagne charlie.

• 4 months later...
On 30/08/2017 at 9:48 PM, slf said:

What a load of old bollocks.

let the results speak for themselves.

ya bass

Results certainly are speaking for themselves just now. No home win in around 4 months and loosing to a team who had not won an away league fixture for 16/17 games?

Knuckle down time just now and the frailties from the beginning of the season are showing their fruits now.

Our squad is threadbare and no decent replacements as proven today.

Still stand by the start of the season. We are struggling big time and a top 6 place looks miles off let alone 4th place.

Now looking over our shoulder with concern for teams who are picking up points every other game but more worryingly scoring a hell of a lot more than us.

TW and The Board have a few days to signal to the fans their intentions. A push for top 6 with the games in-hand or consolidation of squad to retain league status.

2 minutes ago, St Mikey said:

Results certainly are speaking for themselves just now. No home win in around 4 months and loosing to a team who had not won an away league fixture for 16/17 games?

Knuckle down time just now and the frailties from the beginning of the season are showing their fruits now.

Our squad is threadbare and no decent replacements as proven today.

Still stand by the start of the season. We are struggling big time and a top 6 place looks miles off let alone 4th place.

Now looking over our shoulder with concern for teams who are picking up points every other game but more worryingly scoring a hell of a lot more than us.

TW and The Board have a few days to signal to the fans their intentions. A push for top 6 with the games in-hand or consolidation of squad to retain league status.

You is the statto dude,and your right .

its hard tae bear.

During a period when Hibs Hearts and Rangers have been struggling (not even in the same league) we have taken advantage of it for once. A cup win and regular runs in Europe which was fantastic. There have been times in the past we have not taken the opportunity - thinking about the Totten era in particular.These times don't come round very often so any current disappointment has to be tempered. What I find most worrying about the team at the moment is that we are not competing with the teams in our League. Today wasn't a one off- we just can't beat the Patricks, Kilmarnocks etc. This is a regular occurence now and these are the teams we ARE  competing against on and off the pitch. More worrying is the fact that we were beaten to Storrey and Sammon by Thistle. Do they really have more spending power than us ? Not saying they are the answer but are we incapable of recruiting Players like Edwards, Barton, Templeton etc. Are they really out of teach financially. Remember recruiting the best from the rest not only strengthens us it weakens our competition. Not talking about going crazy and bankrupting the club but we really need to look at our recruitment policy.

There is absolutely no positive vibe at our club.  Hope someone (Brown) appreciates that season ticket sales and home gates will be lower next season if the vibe doesn't change.  The change needs to come from the top down!

Decision not allowing the squad to have a winter training camp in sunnier climates certainly is one decision that creates a negative attitude.

Utter shite performances creates and fuels negativity in the support. (Who's patience is being tested to breaking point)  I think we are the worst footballing team in the league to be honest. We are not progressing but regressing at an alarming rate. Most teams are comfortable on the ball. We are anything but comfortable this season.  Leaky defence and no goal threat. If we don't go down this season it will certainly be next season if the club can't turn it around.

In a bit of catch 22 at the moment as SB is reluctant to invest in the squad with attendances flat lining, or in recent months declining. The club had done brilliant work increasing social media coverage, engaging younger fans, family season ticket deals, all things they need to persevere with. My impression is this has all gone in to reverse, just because it hasn't add 1k to the attendances it is not worth doing rather than take the long view.

The way the manager and chairman air and trade their grievances in public is tinpot and unprofessional. It must put off perspective players when it looks like we pay low wages and then also begrudge pay said low wages.

43 minutes ago, Jenko82 said:

In a bit of catch 22 at the moment as SB is reluctant to invest in the squad with attendances flat lining, or in recent months declining. The club had done brilliant work increasing social media coverage, engaging younger fans, family season ticket deals, all things they need to persevere with. My impression is this has all gone in to reverse, just because it hasn't add 1k to the attendances it is not worth doing rather than take the long view.

The way the manager and chairman air and trade their grievances in public is tinpot and unprofessional. It must put off perspective players when it looks like we pay low wages and then also begrudge pay said low wages.

The only way to increase attendances is to play entertaining football,score goals & earn points, especially at home. None of which we have been doing.

I have sympathy with Brown as over Tommy's time in charge we have wasted a lot of wages on dross.

If we finish in the league where a lot of us think we will we will probably over £500 grand down on what we earned last season. He can't afford to hand out much cash.

The counter arguement is if we don't sign decent players we will end up at the bottom. If only we could find a decent player.

5 minutes ago, Cagey said:

The only way to increase attendances is to play entertaining football,score goals & earn points, especially at home. None of which we have been doing.

I have sympathy with Brown as over Tommy's time in charge we have wasted a lot of wages on dross.

If we finish in the league where a lot of us think we will we will probably over £500 grand down on what we earned last season. He can't afford to hand out much cash.

The counter arguement is if we don't sign decent players we will end up at the bottom. If only we could find a decent player.

You've nailed it. The time to invest was in the seasons we were comfortably safe in this league. We've left it too late. 

The problem is that we all just speculate what the problem is we don't know what really goes on behind the scenes. Both Wright and Brown are culpable at present with lack of forward thinking, as we are certainly a team in freefall and we have been a bawhair even last season from ending bottom six, but with Swanson running riot after the new year we turned it round, just don't see it this time though.

Defence concedes soft goals every time, would just throw in Kerr and Gordon at centre half, as Ando and Joe areawfulr, even get the young guns at fullbacks, as Watson was clearly puffing oot his arse yesterday.

Midfield still looking for that elusive playmaker, get rid of Alston, Craig etc, If Alston can't get in a team with all the auld guys in front of him, whats the point, spoony and Craig I say no more based on yesterday.

And wtf was Tommy doing starting with Maclean, great guy and legend, but days have passed and Kane looked far sharper, Wright must have seen this in training

Better improve the attitude and have a bit more fight or the could be out of the cup by Monday night, but also the type of game to put in a good performance with  a few goals and build a bit of confidence, because a good pot of money to made with cup game against Hertz, which surely could be budgeted for a extra body for 6 months if we get through Monday.

On 28/01/2018 at 11:12 AM, RandomGuy said:

You've nailed it. The time to invest was in the seasons we were comfortably safe in this league. We've left it too late. 

Hard not to agree with this. I know this argument has been done to death but it still rankles me that if you go back to the summer of 2014 we did nothing to build on the momentum, excitement and goodwill generated by the Cup win. We let go of key players (Cregg, Hasselbaink) who the manager apparently thought he'd be able to replace, then ended up not being able to sign anyone - and we had all that nonsense with claiming we were trying to sign David Goodwillie only to go back on it and say he was never a target. Looking back, I'd say that was the start of the increasingly regular public spats between TW and SB. On top of that, criminally, was the complete inability to target the potential new fans from the Cup final and the open-top bus parade and get season ticket info to them quickly.

I know the club's approach is to treat survival as the number one priority, but there have been big opportunities to kick on and grow the support and attract better players and right now it feels like those opportunities were allowed to simply slip away. In fact I'm not convinced that Steve Brown would even acknowledge that those opportunities existed - his attitude just seems so backward and old fashioned at times.

I remain confident we'll stay up this season, but after a season like this one attracting good players and attracting more supporters is only going to get harder.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been supporting saints for over 50 years. I am really disgusted with tommy wrights attitude this season.

A part from the first few weeks of this season when micheal o'halloran was on fire, the standard of football that has been played at mcdiarmid this season has been really pathetic, the ball is in the air for nearly 90% of the time.

This season has been coming for a few years now. like previous posters have said, we had the chance to strengthen the team when we won the cup but steve brown thought he could save a few bob, so decided to go with the same players rather than really strengthing the team now that decision has come back to bite him on his ass.

we as fans can see what is happening on the park, tommy can see that as well, but rather than taking a small risk by playing the likes of young mcClean in midfield he keeps going with the same failures in our midfield wotherspoon, millar, alston they are all finished as premiership players and should have been let go prior to the start of this season.

In all the years i have been going to saints games home and away, i very rarely left before the 90mins were up.

Where as this season, i have left at least 4 times with 10 mims still to go. and even worse out of the last 5 home games i have left with at least 30 minutes to go on 3 occassions. In fact our last home game against partick i was so close to throwing my season ticket on to the pitch as i went to leave the stadium. In fact if this shit does not get any better i cannot see myself buying a season ticket next season.  Thats how pissed off i am as a season ticket holder of 36 years. Tommy can see the problems that we have within the team, he just doesn't have guts to put in young guys, even if they are good enough in tommy's eyes they are not old enough.

On 7/2/2017 at 9:43 PM, Perth Guy said:

Easy for me to say, as I am not at many games, but with this season its a grin and bear it. TW will move on, the NI never happened and his sell by date has kinda passed. The cup win was 4 years ago and we have the same backbone of the team, all aging , expensive players. We need to run down their contracts and go afresh. 

More patience, longer vision to know we are doing really well. So long as we are in the top league, we are doing great!

On 1/29/2018 at 8:41 AM, blueheaven said:

Hard not to agree with this. I know this argument has been done to death but it still rankles me that if you go back to the summer of 2014 we did nothing to build on the momentum, excitement and goodwill generated by the Cup win. We let go of key players (Cregg, Hasselbaink) who the manager apparently thought he'd be able to replace, then ended up not being able to sign anyone - and we had all that nonsense with claiming we were trying to sign David Goodwillie only to go back on it and say he was never a target. Looking back, I'd say that was the start of the increasingly regular public spats between TW and SB. On top of that, criminally, was the complete inability to target the potential new fans from the Cup final and the open-top bus parade and get season ticket info to them quickly.

I know the club's approach is to treat survival as the number one priority, but there have been big opportunities to kick on and grow the support and attract better players and right now it feels like those opportunities were allowed to simply slip away. In fact I'm not convinced that Steve Brown would even acknowledge that those opportunities existed - his attitude just seems so backward and old fashioned at times.

I remain confident we'll stay up this season, but after a season like this one attracting good players and attracting more supporters is only going to get harder.

I think we all know the club/SB missed a massive opportunity to truly take a step up and grow our fan base. We are now suffering from this failure with lack of entertainment, fan growth and relegation looming etc.

I don't think SB is a chairman that can take this club forward, you aim for survival, that's where you end up. 

38 minutes ago, Cleveland-Saint said:

I think we all know the club/SB missed a massive opportunity to truly take a step up and grow our fan base. We are now suffering from this failure with lack of entertainment, fan growth and relegation looming etc.

I don't think SB is a chairman that can take this club forward, you aim for survival, that's where you end up. 

Of course they can take the club forward, but the real business for the Brown's is house-building. SJFC is a bit of a pain in the arse economically...... remember: we paid for the club, that the Browns own.....including their off-spring.

I'd be up for them selling McD, building a newer, smaller stadium, indoor pitches, all that good stuff!

I might be stupid and slightly naive but The Browns have been great owners for our club. I don't think we have to be ever thankful but they stood up and helped out when maybe no-one else was prepared to. Its  a shame that no other big business family from Perthshire has showed much interest in St Johnstone. The likes of Brian Souttar or the whisky companies when they were more family owned I hoped would have stepped forward. Having a pop at The Brown family is completely unfair. My opinion only.

Edited by PanamaSaint