Tommy - Master Tactition or not?

Edstar101

I often see posts on here saying things like 'Tommy will suss them out' etc

I don't see it I'm afraid. I'm not saying he's not been a great manager for us, he has, but master tactition, nope

We all have opinions on starting line ups, and there will no doubt often be factors than we don't know about that will affect the starting line up on any given day

What I notice though is that Tommy seems pretty poor at changing things once a game has started. Whether that be change of formation or tactics, and his timing and general use of subs has never impressed me. When things aren't going well, we rarely turn it around during a game

His abilities seem to lie in building a team spirit and getting the most out of players, and that is more probably the reason for our success under his reign

He is a master result getter!

I think Tommy is fantastic at managing his squad over a season. He knows the most important basics required for our league and will always base his side on that.

The squad we have right now is simply not a given for top six- yet it's hard to bet against him managing it once again. This year is going to be his toughest task and without a goal scorer and no experienced centre-back back ups- tight wins may turn into tight losses.

I often see posts on here saying things like 'Tommy will suss them out' etc

I don't see it I'm afraid. I'm not saying he's not been a great manager for us, he has, but master tactition, nope

We all have opinions on starting line ups, and there will no doubt often be factors than we don't know about that will affect the starting line up on any given day

What I notice though is that Tommy seems pretty poor at changing things once a game has started. Whether that be change of formation or tactics, and his timing and general use of subs has never impressed me. When things aren't going well, we rarely turn it around during a game

His abilities seem to lie in building a team spirit and getting the most out of players, and that is more probably the reason for our success under his reign

He's certainly a master tactician compared to your wee fare dodging pal :laugh:

Not a master tactician, but works with what he's got to the best of his ability. The same applies to the Trakai game, our squad can only play substandard teams at the same style week in week out, before succumbing to those more modern and techincal - and Thursday was no exception.

Ultimately, Tommy will be properly judged if and when he goes somewhere better, because let's be realistic, with the resources we have what more can Tommy do? He's been brilliant for us, but there's no point dwelling on things that are outwith his control - there's only so much you can do with a 1 paced ageing squad - and for that he should be commended and backed more than he currently is on all levels of the game. From the number fans that show up every league game to the control and resources, he's able to access.

This thread is massively disrespectful to our greatest ever manager.  Tommy will be the first to admit he isn't perfect and he got things wrong against Trakai, but the stuff on this forum is very poor to say the least.

This. It's incredible how quickly some people turn on folk simply because we've lost a game. 

This. It's incredible how quickly some people turn on folk simply because we've lost a game. 

Two games,a Europa cup place & £200k.

Tommy has been great for Saints & given us 3 or 4 good years but that doesn't mean he is a master tactician. Just a good manager in a piss poor league.

Be interested to know how many games we won due to tactical changes.

It's also interesting that we play worse against 10 men than when there is eleven on the field.

Tommy isn't perfect, but he's our best ever manager by some distance. And every single time we've hit a short-term dip and he's come in for criticism, he's brought us out the other side of it even stronger and achieved something else. I think he'll go on to guide us to another successful season, and if we have to do it without a pacy forward player, he'll find a way to adapt to that and grind out the results regardless, just as he has done in the past. That's good enough for me.

Tommy isn't perfect, but he's our best ever manager by some distance. And every single time we've hit a short-term dip and he's come in for criticism, he's brought us out the other side of it even stronger and achieved something else. I think he'll go on to guide us to another successful season, and if we have to do it without a pacy forward player, he'll find a way to adapt to that and grind out the results regardless, just as he has done in the past. That's good enough for me.

You're quite right, of course, but it's been hard viewing at times

You're quite right, of course, but it's been hard viewing at times

Last season home record and viewing was brutal, the anti-football time wasting in the corner is not required, the opposition are not that great... One of the least enjoyable home seasons in a long time... many teams taking points off us.. so backs up the argument of when we are favourites we struggle tactically.. away from home tactically spot on, to gain points.  Finish 4th...  You must be tactically good.

Improve the home record and wisdom when favourites and we will be in for a great season... But the knifes edge isn't worth thinking about.. terrible away record and no goals being scored (I'm worried who will score enough goals)

Not often I quiz Tommy starting line up or his timing of subs.  Unlike previous managers.  Tommy is good for Saints.  We have a ceiling in more ways than one and he delivers success.   

A different manager to freshen things up will come, but happy with Tommy in charge even though I was raging at his 'Rangers come and get me' interview last season.