Development Squad News 2017/18

Radford 72

Guest ScottMann
1 hour ago, HOODLUM65 said:

After using the home ground of Kelty Hearts over the winter period for their home games, Saints u20's return to McDiarmid park on Tues. 13th March to take on Dundee United with a 18.00 k.o.

Season tickets are valid.

C.o.y.s.

I take it there's hardly any crowd at these games. Any idea why Saints don't play the games on the artificial pitch at McDiarmid rather than pay to hire other grounds?

1 hour ago, ScottMann said:

I take it there's hardly any crowd at these games. Any idea why Saints don't play the games on the artificial pitch at McDiarmid rather than pay to hire other grounds?

I don't think Saints have done too badly out of the council with the new road as it happens (although maybe only fair with the disruption) but would it have been an idea to have used the situation to get permission for a (very small) covered stand or enclosure, maybe even with a basic tea bar adjacent to the artificial pitch? Obvious use for reserve games but also the women's team.

I think the reserves played on the all-weather pitch back in the first season after the move from Muirton? The good old Reserve League East days with Scott McIntyre and Jimmy Reilly. @Tranmere Saintee

2 hours ago, ScottMann said:

Likely reduces travel time . And that wee saints minibus needs to justify its usage.

7 hours ago, Radford 72 said:

I don't think Saints have done too badly out of the council with the new road as it happens (although maybe only fair with the disruption) but would it have been an idea to have used the situation to get permission for a (very small) covered stand or enclosure, maybe even with a basic tea bar adjacent to the artificial pitch? Obvious use for reserve games but also the women's team.

I think the reserves played on the all-weather pitch back in the first season after the move from Muirton? The good old Reserve League East days with Scott McIntyre and Jimmy Reilly. @Tranmere Saintee

Certainly remember some games being played on the plastic pitch, and also remember some cracking crowds inside McD when there used to be the reverse fixtures (i.e. Saints’s through in Glasgow and one of the ugly sisters through here at the same time).

Guest ScottMann
10 hours ago, Radford 72 said:

I've wondered about a small seated area in the past. It wouldn't eat into the car parking space too much. I've even seen portable ones at the Show. I'm sure something could be fixed up if the desire was there. 

After a fairly even first half which produced no goals , Saints were reduced to 10 men two minutes into the second half for a "last man" challenge.

Saints held out till the 72 minute, when their more experienced opponents ( whose team included Kevin Holt, Kyle Waddell, El Bakhtoui , Randy Wolters and Craig Wighton) took the lead.

Dee added 2 further goals as Saints ( who had Zander, Kyle McClean and Keith Watson playing) tired despite bringing on subs.

Was always going to be an uphill struggle when reduced to 10 men.

Really interesting and positive feedback on Development Squad player Danny Jardine, who is out on loan at Stirling Albion. He's the only 1998-born player in the group, so would be ineligible for the league next season, if the structure doesn't change. Obviously he could still play as an overage player.

Post 1: "Since he signed in January, I would say that he has been amongst the league's best players so far. I would be very surprised if he was being loaned to release, but stranger things have happened.

The lad has got talent and will make a good living out of the game, will he go on to become a regular First Team player at St Johnstone... I hope he is given the chance at least because he does have something about him. He is certainly capable higher up the leagues, and why not at Perth?

He had huge boots to fill when Callumn Morrison went back to Hearts, but dare I say it, he’s more consistent than Callumn. 

I’m not sure where he has played within the St Johnstone youth set up but Dave Mackay has played him as the focal point in the centre of midfield, he’s certainly not a holding player."

Post 2: "He's been immense. Since the signing of Jardine, Moon and Barr we have looked like a capable side again. The boy has a future."

1 hour ago, HOODLUM65 said:

Saints take the lead when John Robertson bamboozled the Well defence and lays it on a plate at the far post for Jamie McKenzie to tap in.

Brilliant.

The goal scored in the 6th minute of the second half proved to be the match winner.

Only down side was the yellow cards produced by the official for Saints players, when like challenges by 'Well resulted in free kicks.

A great result for the Saints against a BIG strong team.

M.o.m. The diminutive John Robertson who's trickery and pace gave the defenders a torrid time.