Dave Mckay Testimonial match against DUNDEE Friday 6th Oct.

I came away from last night's game probably the most disappointed I've ever been due to anything linked to the club.

The turnout for our greatest ever captain was truly awful. This man represented everything that I admire about my club and could not have represented our club any better. The Perth community was happy to jump in when the club had a chance of glory in the cup final, they are happy to come to the big Euro nights, but wouldn't turn up to thank someone that has played a major role in our clubs history. I found it embarrassing- St Johnstone and Dave MacKay are too good for the local area.

As for the game the second half was fantastic fun. Morris and Sheerin were superb and the trialist goalie looked a future internationalist!

I hope Dave's made plenty of money from all the events and his career continue to go well.

In the years to come out lack of support will see the inevitable downward slide that comes with supporting a club our size, but I for one will never forgot the efforts made by Captain Dave and forever your picture lifting the cup will sit on my wall.

As others have said the turnout was shockingly poor - Dave's not only a legend but a true gentleman.  It's not often Saints fans are asked to put a few sheckles in a testimonial pot.  I expected better than that.

The second half was great fun and also a wee chance to relive the class of Morris and Sheerin, Frazer putting the fear on one of Dundee's wee laddies and the sheer pace of Roddy.

A wee mention to Dundee too - events like that don't happen without another club's cooperation.

The turnout for our greatest ever captain was truly awful. This man represented everything that I admire about my club and could not have represented our club any better. The Perth community was happy to jump in when the club had a chance of glory in the cup final, they are happy to come to the big Euro nights, but wouldn't turn up to thank someone that has played a major role in our clubs history. I found it embarrassing- St Johnstone and Dave MacKay are too good for the local area.

Said this almost word for word last night.

Perthshire does not desearve St johnstone or Dave mackay.

The captain that won the cup one of the core that helped build where we are now and not even 2000 could make the effort.

Shows what has been built within the club that we have so many long serving dedicated players that have stayed and played a massibe part over the years, it sure as hell is not because of us they have stayed.

I was honestly embarrassed last night.

Tbf Friday night maybe wasn't the best time to hold it, not everyone finishes their work at five, and we've always had a large contingent who go abroad with Scotland. 

I was disappointed at the lack of numbers, and lack of atmosphere, but let's not start slagging folk who wanted to go but simply couldn't 

Anybody got the crowd for other Saints testimonials in recent times? Think Alan Main would be last one but before that Jim Weir, Roddy and Biscuits from memory. 

1,480 certainly very disappointing, there were more at Main’s I’m sure. 

Edited by Al C

On behalf of the Testimonial Committee, a massive thank you to each and every one of you who did attend the match last night , and for those who bought a programme or raffle tickets. The crowd may not have been massive, but I know that Dave Mackay and his family really enjoyed the night. The second half of the game in particular  was great fun, and now that the dream of a team of Dave Mackays has been realised, I'm now dreaming of a Saints team that once again has players of the class of Jody Morris and  Paul Sheerin playing every week. These guys were a class act , and together with Gary Harkins, were, in my opinion, the best players on the park, by a country mile!

The testimonial committee would like to thank the fans from St Johnstone and Dundee who turned out to pay tribute to Dave Mackay, and also to those who were unable to attend the game but donated to the Testimonial Fund.
We are also grateful to the legends who made the trip to Perth to take part.
The committee greatly appreciates their contribution to an entertaining night, along with the backing we received from both clubs and their management teams.
A big thank you to sponsors Booker Perth, Kilmac and Findlays Entertainment.
Graeme Hart, of PPA and the club's official photographer was on hand to capture images

PPA_DaveMackayTestimonial-4.jpg

PPA_DaveMackayTestimonial-5.jpg

I came away disappointed last night too. Not at the crowd - I didn't expect too much more than that for a Friday night testimonial on an international weekend. What disappointed me most was the stark reminder that our current team, despite being hugely successful, just don't have that level of class about it compared to what we've been spoiled with over the last 20 years. 

I watched Sheerin/Jody/Cup Tie with a smile on my face last night. Genuine quality players. Sheerin and Jody knocking the ball about for fun - those poor Dundee laddies running in circles trying to catch a glimpse of the ball. I miss watching classy players. 

Tommy's style of play with the resources we have is effective - no question about it at all. O'Halloran and Maclean give us enough quality that when you put the effort in our players do it's enough to get you top 4/5/6. Its just never that easy on the eye. 

Considering we've lost some terrific players over the years to still be churning out results the way we do is remarkable. But, as all fans do, you always want more, and a little bit more quality/style would be great. 

Anyway, was brilliant to watch some true Saints legends over the years have some fun for 45 minutes. I didn't want it to end - they should have done the full 90 that way. And as much as it wasn't a huge crowd, Dave Mackay got a great send off from those who did attend and it was a pleasure watching him for the prime of his career at Saints - he deserved so much more from the game. When you think guys like Alan Hutton and a list of absolute no-mark right backs have got caps for Scotland in that position in front of him it's a travesty. 

Have to agree that we were blessed with the quality of Sheerin and Morris ( who looked as if he should still be playing) and a fantastic servant for Saints Dave Mackay.

Big thanks to the committee for pulling together players from the past.

A bit of a worry that 2 old guys are better than what we have at the moment(skill wise) & getting beat 3_0 after 45 mins by Dundee reserves.

Wasn't there as on holiday,but don't really believe in testimonials for full time well paid players. I've been with my firm for 36 years and get no recognition ,and during Cupties 10 years here,he'll have earned significantly more than I have.The last testimonial I went to was Dougie Barron's,as he was part time,and wouldn't be paid a lot of money, await the apoplectic responses from a sunny,hot Orlando :cool:

Wasn't there as on holiday,but don't really believe in testimonials for full time well paid players. I've been with my firm for 36 years and get no recognition ,and during Cupties 10 years here,he'll have earned significantly more than I have.The last testimonial I went to was Dougie Barron's,as he was part time,and wouldn't be paid a lot of money, await the apoplectic responses from a sunny,hot Orlando :cool:

Do you get a pension? 

Everyone has the right to an opinion. I'd argue the money is secondary to the fact it was the local communities chance to thank a loyal worker that has contributed greatly to the success of our club.

I'd also argue that none of us have a clue what sort of money he would of been getting paid and with his efforts at landing a new job he clearly isn't made for life.

Copy your boss in on your post.

Cannot blame Dave for the fact that your skill set is not valued as highly as his and that he was held highly enough for people to want to give him a testimonial.

Apart from that "Have a nice day"

Get the excuses in:

1. Saints fans in Ljubljana, yes, but I was at McDiarmid Park last night and flew in today via Paris.

2. Saints fans on schools’ October hols, who left Thursday or Friday to get the cheaper flights and hotels.

Other highlights:

3. Cuptie’s miss, skyed over the bar.

4. Cuptie’s penalty after Ando hacked down and referee gave it for a change.

5. Peaso and Savo together again, albeit for the Dee.

In an ideal world it would be a capacity crowd for every recipient of a testimonial. Small window of opportunity to actually play.. like previous posters, international break start of school holidays etcetera! 

No question DM is most deserving of this accolade ...the game was only a small part of his testimonial year and at the end of the day I am sure the fact he got a chance to say cheerio would have meant just as much as any money he may receive. He could have been treated like Willie Coburn & released before his testimonial year! Now that was shabby! 

Saints are a club not reknowned for high wages so a wee payday is better no payday at all.. great night no matter how low the crowd was! Sheerin/Morris definitely different class....

Goodbye & Good Luck Mr MacKay it has been a pleasure:laugh: 

Copy your boss in on your post.

Cannot blame Dave for the fact that your skill set is not valued as highly as his and that he was held highly enough for people to want to give him a testimonial.

Apart from that "Have a nice day"

That's the thing imo,footballers get far too much money for the hours and what they actually do.Is a policeman,fireman,nurse etc etc not of a more important skill set than someone kicking a ball about for twenty hours a week?Pretty sure Cuptie will earn more than all of them,Niall Quinn and others donated their monies to hospitals and charities which is what I'd have turned up for .