Dave Mckay Testimonial match against DUNDEE Friday 6th Oct.

Everyone has the right to an opinion. I'd argue the money is secondary to the fact it was the local communities chance to thank a loyal worker that has contributed greatly to the success of our club.

I'd also argue that none of us have a clue what sort of money he would of been getting paid and with his efforts at landing a new job he clearly isn't made for life.

Obviously no one will know his wages at Perth,he's been full time all his career,including Oxford,so I'm confident he'll have earned more than most people paying to watch the game,everyone's prerogative to go or not,I posted my opinion on testimonials,don't expect everyone to agree,and don't care to be honest,if there's a bucket collection outside McD as there was for Alan Main,I'll give what I can afford 

You can have all of the excuses under the sun and I have read some interesting points over the years as to why Saints fans don't turn up. The truth is the crowd last night was very, very poor. Jody said as much.

Well done to the Committee, you did a great job and well done to all legends. Sheerin was simply fantastic. How big were they shorts!?

Get the excuses in:

1. Saints fans in Ljubljana, yes, but I was at McDiarmid Park last night and flew in today via Paris.

2. Saints fans on schools’ October hols, who left Thursday or Friday to get the cheaper flights and hotels.

Other highlights:

3. Cuptie’s miss, skyed over the bar.

4. Cuptie’s penalty after Ando hacked down and referee gave it for a change.

5. Peaso and Savo together again, albeit for the Dee.

Peaso was playing for Saints mate.

I've invested in one like most normal people,do you?

Yeah. Mackay didnt get that option though. The wages you earn at a club like Saints aren't life changing. 

Money doesn't even come into this though, I find it bizarre you'd happily hold on to £15 rather than give Dave Mackay a proper send off that he didn't receive when he actually left, it's just a bizarre mindset. 

Dave Mackay didn't get the option of a pension???  We all know you think you are the authority on everything Random but that is just rubbish - anyone who earns a wage has the option of a pension.  Everyone is entitled to a workplace pension BY LAW.

As I have previously posted, the attendance was disappointing but it's up to the individual whether they want to attend or not.  You are correct that Dave's wages aren't life changing as his search for a job surely proves.  But he does have the option of investing in a pension.

Dave Mackay didn't get the option of a pension???  We all know you think you are the authority on everything Random but that is just rubbish - anyone who earns a wage has the option of a pension.  Everyone is entitled to a workplace pension BY LAW.

As I have previously posted, the attendance was disappointing but it's up to the individual whether they want to attend or not.  You are correct that Dave's wages aren't life changing as his search for a job surely proves.  But he does have the option of investing in a pension.

I didn't think football clubs needed to offer a pension until the last year or so. 

Players can still take out a private pension though - so to say he didn't have the option is wrong.  I haven't always worked in a job where I was offered a pension - I always paid into a pension though.  No-one "gets" a pension - you pay into it through your wage.

Incidentally, when Paul Cherry was playing for Saints all Saints players had the option of a pension :laugh:

Players can still take out a private pension though - so to say he didn't have the option is wrong.  I haven't always worked in a job where I was offered a pension - I always paid into a pension though.  No-one "gets" a pension - you pay into it through your wage.

Incidentally, when Paul Cherry was playing for Saints all Saints players had the option of a pension :laugh:

Fair dues

Odd that some are begrudging of a testimonial. Such a rarity now a days. I've always read it as a celebration of the players career.  

A small cash pot to the player won't go far, it would be like me winning the Saints lotto jackpot.. Nothing really changes.  All the pension chat is laughable, he's no where near retirement age!

I missed the bounce up, and by sounds of it the second half was good. I would have attended if it was on a Saturday.  

Who's next on the testimonial list?

Guest ScottMann

A genuine straight question...I understand the 'romantic' choice of Dundee as opposition but did the committee consider that they'd bring a very small crowd with them as Dave is basically persona non grata with them for disgracefully moving to England to further his career when the chance came? 

A genuine straight question...I understand the 'romantic' choice of Dundee as opposition but did the committee consider that they'd bring a very small crowd with them as Dave is basically persona non grata with them for disgracefully moving to England to further his career when the chance came? 

As has already been explained, the committee spent a lot of time and effort working on the match and considering opposition. It would have cost several thousands of pounds to get an English team to travel up. This was the most suitable free weekend and Championship clubs were still involved in Challenge Cup, so that ruled them all out at the time of organising. The number of  opposition fans is neither here nor there. Dundee and Neil McCann were willing to play and allow a number of 'legends' to turnout and should be thanked for  their participation. Rather than being critical of the people who weren't there, I'd like to thank everyone that was and who made it a memorable night for Dave regardless of the crowd.

Guest ScottMann

As has already been explained, the committee spent a lot of time and effort working on the match and considering opposition. It would have cost several thousands of pounds to get an English team to travel up. This was the most suitable free weekend and Championship clubs were still involved in Challenge Cup, so that ruled them all out at the time of organising. The number of  opposition fans is neither here nor there. Dundee and Neil McCann were willing to play and allow a number of 'legends' to turnout and should be thanked for  their participation. Rather than being critical of the people who weren't there, I'd like to thank everyone that was and who made it a memorable night for Dave regardless of the crowd.

I'll take that as a no then, which is all I wanted to know. Or yes, whichever the straight answer to the straight question was.

The committee, as always, worked their butts off to set all this up and congratulations to them. With hindsight it was a poor weekend to hold it if my granddaughters schools are anything to go by with upto 30% of their class mates absent during the week on holidays. If it had been Saturday I would have been present but a very early start on Saturday mornings for work rule me out of all Friday evening games.

Does anybody have video footage of the legends as I believe it would be worth a tenner just for a copy of that!!

Raffle winners, photographs and Match Highlights

Raffle prize winners from the Testimonial match. Many thanks to all who contributed.

Signed testimonial shirt: Pink 181-185

Limited edition Testimonial hipflask: Green 151 – 155

Bottle of The Macallan – Blue 155-160

Saints scarf: (Donated by St Johnstone) Yellow 106-110

Pair of Saints match tickets(Donated by St Johnstone): Blue 191-195

Dunning Golf Club four ball (donated by Dunning GC): Pink 346-350

Litres of The Famous Grouse (donated by Scone Saintees): Green 1-5, Green 241-245

Signed One Final Hurdle books (Donated by Rob McInroy): Yellow 56-60 Pink 141-145

A dozen golf balls (Donated by Bannerman Decorators): Blue 186-190 Pink 256-260

Photographs from Match

Fans have been asking where they can secure photographs from the Dave Mackay Testimonial match. Check out the PPA pics on the St Johnstone FC photoshelter

Video Highlights

Fans looking for highlights of the testimonial match should take a look at the Dundee FC website. Their social media team have kindly allowed free access to footage.

Raffle winners, photographs and Match Highlights

Raffle prize winners from the Testimonial match. Many thanks to all who contributed.

Signed testimonial shirt: Pink 181-185

Limited edition Testimonial hipflask: Green 151 – 155

Bottle of The Macallan – Blue 155-160

Saints scarf: (Donated by St Johnstone) Yellow 106-110

Pair of Saints match tickets(Donated by St Johnstone): Blue 191-195

Dunning Golf Club four ball (donated by Dunning GC): Pink 346-350

Litres of The Famous Grouse (donated by Scone Saintees): Green 1-5, Green 241-245

Signed One Final Hurdle books (Donated by Rob McInroy): Yellow 56-60 Pink 141-145

A dozen golf balls (Donated by Bannerman Decorators): Blue 186-190 Pink 256-260

Photographs from Match

Fans have been asking where they can secure photographs from the Dave Mackay Testimonial match. Check out the PPA pics on the St Johnstone FC photoshelter

Video Highlights

Fans looking for highlights of the testimonial match should take a look at the Dundee FC website. Their social media team have kindly allowed free access to footage.

Can you confirm one in bold - should it be 156 to 160 as my numbers end in 155.

Yeah. Mackay didnt get that option though. The wages you earn at a club like Saints aren't life changing. 

Money doesn't even come into this though, I find it bizarre you'd happily hold on to £15 rather than give Dave Mackay a proper send off that he didn't receive when he actually left, it's just a bizarre mindset. 

Who the **** are you to tell me what to spend my hard earned cash on?? I've spent an absolute fortune following Saints, and don't need to justify myself to  anyone, never mind a cock on a keyboard, I support St Johnstone fc, their employees, i.e. the players are blessed to wear our shirt,and be part of our club,and are payed handsomely, compared to many. I find it bizarre, you think my family would be less important than a club employee.I also don't earn a life changing amount, but I've to prioritise my finances, and cupties testimonial lost out, sorry to disappoint such a diehard.