St.Johnstone v Aberdeen - 13th December

SaintJet

Yes we are going through a difficult period and yes some players are off the pace but we were not as bad as made out. Aberdeen were buzzing and their confidence grew throughout the match but we lost two goals from set pieces - great corner from Stevie May and deflected free kick. The first goal loss was the big error and that lead to lack of confidence but we played a lot better than against Hamilton and we played good football at times so was not by a long way our worst ever performance. I think issue is we do not believe we can come back from going down because we are lacking in a striking threat - this both deflates our defence and increases the confidence of the opposition. Get behind the team as they have not gone bad overnight and Tommy is still a great manager - give them our support!

For me the time to really worry is when we go through a game without creating any goal scoring opportunities. Last night the dons keeper made a couple of good saves so we did create chances. Half time came just as we were building up a bit of pressure too. Did Zander actually make a save? 

I don’t agree with folk saying there is no effort. Of course they try, but things ain’t clicking at the moment for large parts of the game. When they do click we look pretty good, like just before half time. Aberdeen out pressed our usual pressing game and many of our team do not have the skill and vision to cope with having to rush passes and give possession away. For this reason alone we need Millar or similar replacement in the side.

oh, and if we go through the rest of the season win one lose one win one lose one......, we’ll be fine.

Edited by dunblanemike

Get behind the team as they have not gone bad overnight

Yep, you're right, we haven't gone bad overnight.  We've gone bad over a three month period.  The ability to put a balanced side on the park, the ability to mark opposition players, the ability to string simple passes togethr, the ability to play with something approaching energy, the ability to defend properly, the ability to score goals?  All gone. At the same time.  That's not bad, that's really, really bad.  It's not even counting the creeping staleness others have mentioned that's been evident since the cup win.  And if personnel or management doesn't change, it doesn't look like getting better any time soon now, does it?

Tommy is still a great manager - give them our support!

Yeah, I'll support the team, but the manager?  Nah, I'll pass on him.  Of course I want our club to be competing, who doesn't?  But over the past few weeks, painting the house on a Saturday is much more of an attraction than going to watch the same turgid rubbish.  All the Tommy fanboys can keep on "believing", but for me, this particular "era" is over.

That's what the coaches want 

think that is the problem plus Tommy saying a goalie doesn't need to command. his area .

At the second goal it looked as if he didn't even have to come of his line to pick the ball out of the air but he just left it for the defence to clear.

There has to be a reason for a goalie that commanded his area last season & his time at QoS to change.

For me the time to really worry is when we go through a game without creating any goal scoring opportunities. Last night the dons keeper made a couple of good saves so we did create chances. Half time came just as we were building up a bit of pressure too. Did Zander actually make a save? 

I don’t agree with folk saying there is no effort. Of course they try, but things ain’t clicking at the moment for large parts of the game. When they do click we look pretty good, like just before half time. Aberdeen out pressed our usual pressing game and many of our team do not have the skill and vision to cope with having to rush passes and give possession away. For this reason alone we need Millar or similar replacement in the side.

oh, and if we go through the rest of the season win one lose one win one lose one......, we’ll be fine.

Unfortunately midge either injured or sick most of the time,we have been very lucky to have players such as Millar, Morris etc in middle of the park,we need someone to play next to muzz,I do not see anyone at the club at the moment who can fill this roll,I hope midge starts getting back playing but just can't see it need to bring some one in,

That first half performance was as bad as I can remember from Saints. We rallied at the end of the half but don't be kidded we were all over the place at the back with  Aberdeen's corner's causing havoc and the loose ball always fell to their men. We could have been 5 down at the half- I can't believe this is the same St.Johnstone who have been been disputing the top places in recent years.

I think Spoony is a smashing player but he just doesn't have the motor to be playing at this level, his touch is great but he's bullied out of position too easy. I would keep him as an impact sub. I don't understand the love affair with MOH either, he was way off the pace of the game and defenses have his number by 'showing' him away from goal.

If anyone is thinking we are a safe bet to stay in this league - think again. We have some huge games before the new year and we better get dug in.

Yes we are going through a difficult period and yes some players are off the pace but we were not as bad as made out. Aberdeen were buzzing and their confidence grew throughout the match but we lost two goals from set pieces - great corner from Stevie May and deflected free kick. The first goal loss was the big error and that lead to lack of confidence but we played a lot better than against Hamilton and we played good football at times so was not by a long way our worst ever performance. I think issue is we do not believe we can come back from going down because we are lacking in a striking threat - this both deflates our defence and increases the confidence of the opposition. Get behind the team as they have not gone bad overnight and Tommy is still a great manager - give them our support!

Hi Tommy. Its about time SFA got their finger out & employed the northern Ireland manager so that you can get his job.

We have become a soft touch, teams fancy their chances against us because of it. Too much only facing up to your man and letting them pass easily to whoever they want.

Defence is brutal; Tanser - Not a great defender and doesn't put the foot in, harass, nothing; Joe - To soft for a centre half and definetely not a captain; Ando - Knows we are pish at the moment, and has chucked it, committing himself to balls he will never win to look like he is trying; Foster - Not a defender, not great going forward either

Midfield; Spoony and Paton, to slow; Scougall not a right midfielder; Mikey didnt turn up

Up top; Macca - is done at this level, It is like watching somebody play in slow motion; with no other striker doing anything

With the above and no threat at set pieces and losing goals at set pieces is a recipe for disaster.

We have lost good players in the last few seasons, and not replaced them with anywhere near what we have lost.

We haven't played well all season and if we hadn't got those early points we would be well adrift at the bottom

Going to be a tough season, and am worried

Noted comment regarding Zander Clark staying on line and not commanding box.  In my opinion this must be down to goalkeeping coaching as Zander used to come for cross balls, quickly set up attacks  but not now.  Similar to Mannus .

It is down to the coaches, according to someone close to Zander who we spoke to after a recent match. Tommy supposedly wants his keeper to stay on the line and the defenders to attack and clear the crosses. That's working well..........

It's fine when you have a Frazer Wright, Duberry etc who will do this, but we've not got that kind of player just now. Seems madness to stop a guy who's 6'5, and has the advantage of being able to use his hands, come for a f**king cross.

We have become a soft touch, teams fancy their chances against us because of it. Too much only facing up to your man and letting them pass easily to whoever they want.

Defence is brutal; Tanser - Not a great defender and doesn't put the foot in, harass, nothing; Joe - To soft for a centre half and definetely not a captain; Ando - Knows we are pish at the moment, and has chucked it, committing himself to balls he will never win to look like he is trying; Foster - Not a defender, not great going forward either

Midfield; Spoony and Paton, to slow; Scougall not a right midfielder; Mikey didnt turn up

Up top; Macca - is done at this level, It is like watching somebody play in slow motion; with no other striker doing anything

With the above and no threat at set pieces and losing goals at set pieces is a recipe for disaster.

We have lost good players in the last few seasons, and not replaced them with anywhere near what we have lost.

We haven't played well all season and if we hadn't got those early points we would be well adrift at the bottom

yep, too easily bullied off the ball and turning into a team of sh1tebags.

glad I couldn't go last night. Kilmarnock game was a turgid affair. Hamilton result papered over the cracks.

my mate said to me at the Kille game that the team just looked stale. Hoping for a decent cup run come the new year. If they can't get past the first round then Tommy has to walk.

yep, too easily bullied off the ball and turning into a team of sh1tebags.

glad I couldn't go last night. Kilmarnock game was a turgid affair. Hamilton result papered over the cracks.

my mate said to me at the Kille game that the team just looked stale. Hoping for a decent cup run come the new year. If they can't get past the first round then Tommy has to walk.

That said, they'll probably go and cuff the sevco on saturday! :D

nail head, it's all going to end in tears, let's not kid ourselves this team will not kick on for top six based on last night and most of the games this season, it's in freefall and after Saturday the league might look a even worse.

Defence is costing us goals, Tanser isn't up to the level, Foster is passed it, Joe, never bought the hype, can't pass, outmuscled constantly....., hopefully in January a new centre half, and Comrie and Easton back at fullbacks.

Midfield need a playmaker, Paton, Alston, Spoony are getting more painful to watch by the week, Paton slows every move down and then hits an aimless punt hoping someone will get on it.

Up front nothing there, at least the new guy gives a bit of freshness for January, and another striker or winger would help too, as afraid to say Macca is just too slow, would be perfect as impact sub, but not got it anymore to be a starter.

Going by the body language last night not much fight and struggling to do the basics right, time for a managerial change might be in order soon as they don't appear to be playing for the manager or anybody at the moment.

Totally stupid even thinking about calling for Tommy Wright's head and this has nothing to do with sentiment.

We were a good side a few months ago and qualified for Europe - we have the formula but we need the players to get back to doing what were great at - closing down space and working hard to nullify the opposition. Goals are all about composure and confidence and we need a break.

Last night was brutal but we are better than that.

Totally stupid even thinking about calling for Tommy Wright's head and this has nothing to do with sentiment.

We were a good side a few months ago and qualified for Europe - we have the formula but we need the players to get back to doing what were great at - closing down space and working hard to nullify the opposition. Goals are all about composure and confidence and we need a break.

Last night was brutal but we are better than that.

It's called "being in denial" friend...

Yep, you're right, we haven't gone bad overnight.  We've gone bad over a three month period.  The ability to put a balanced side on the park, the ability to mark opposition players, the ability to string simple passes togethr, the ability to play with something approaching energy, the ability to defend properly, the ability to score goals?  All gone. At the same time.  That's not bad, that's really, really bad.  It's not even counting the creeping staleness others have mentioned that's been evident since the cup win.  And if personnel or management doesn't change, it doesn't look like getting better any time soon now, does it?

Yeah, I'll support the team, but the manager?  Nah, I'll pass on him.  Of course I want our club to be competing, who doesn't?  But over the past few weeks, painting the house on a Saturday is much more of an attraction than going to watch the same turgid rubbish.  All the Tommy fanboys can keep on "believing", but for me, this particular "era" is over.

I could not agree more. Too many people on this noticeboard with rose tinted glasses. We are miserable and going back wards. Any other teams fans would be crying for change but because we won the cup years ago it seems that is never going to be on the agenda with the "we love Tommy brigade". At what point does reality kick in and we realise that this team simply isn't good enough. 

When I saw the line ups before kick off I had a feeling we would be struggling to be honest. They had almost every attacking player they possess on the pitch.

The two first half goals were shocking though, schoolboy defending. Once again we made it too easy for the opposition to pick us off.

Loved the white socks mind you.