Sign in to follow this  
Havana Saint

Is this the winter of our discontent?

Recommended Posts

Getting a bit tired of hearing Tommy moaning to the press. If it's not about the chairman or some part of the club, then it's about the fans. Almost like he thinks he is beyond criticism and should get special treatment. 

As for a holiday abroad and warm weather training, get tae ****! in 4-5 months time you'll all be finalising your end of season holidays and then you can go and get some sun. There's plenty of ways the boys can do training over the winter break even if the grass pitches are frozen. Get them sitting in on extra analysis sessions of our league opponents, indoor set piece training, or in the gym working on cardio and strength training...bloody hell get them in the swimming pool and crank the temperature up, that warm enough for them? Just cause there's a winter break, doesn't mean you should be off relaxing and sunning it up in Spain.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am not fed up with Tommy Wright stating things that he does not agree 100% with especially where he sees it justified that things are not happening that would benefit the club. I am not saying that I agree with him but surely he is quite entitled to air his opinion. This is not the first time he has done this. Practically every season he mentions that he needs more money to bring "quality in". I don't think there is any malice in this and Steve Brown just has to accept it. I think that we all sometimes forget what a high quality, over achieving manager we have. One who loves the club dearly. Let us not forget what he has done for us and excuse him the odd moan about things that he believes in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Templar Saint said:

TW needs to check this years stats. 

Would you be interested to hear that all of MOHs goals have come from within the box, only one has been assisted, that we've only scored two goals outwith the box this season, that we've conceded well into double figures from crosses, from open play and set pieces, and that Liam Craig is the most productive player in the squad in terms of goals/assists per 90 minutes?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, PanamaSaint said:

I am not fed up with Tommy Wright stating things that he does not agree 100% with especially where he sees it justified that things are not happening that would benefit the club. I am not saying that I agree with him but surely he is quite entitled to air his opinion. This is not the first time he has done this. Practically every season he mentions that he needs more money to bring "quality in". I don't think there is any malice in this and Steve Brown just has to accept it. I think that we all sometimes forget what a high quality, over achieving manager we have. One who loves the club dearly. Let us not forget what he has done for us and excuse him the odd moan about things that he believes in.

Still waiting

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/1/2018 at 4:40 PM, Abernethy Saint said:

Drives me nuts when people misunderstand Shakespeare’s meaning in that quote. “Winter of discontent” means the END of the discontent. 

End of pompous pseudo-intellectual intervention, please carry on.

Aye but is there any sign of a "Son of York" so that it be "made glorious Summer"?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RandomGuy said:

Would you be interested to hear that all of MOHs goals have come from within the box, only one has been assisted, that we've only scored two goals outwith the box this season, that we've conceded well into double figures from crosses, from open play and set pieces, and that Liam Craig is the most productive player in the squad in terms of goals/assists per 90 minutes?

Someone has been doing their homework Random.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Cagey said:

a feeling that he thinks we just have to turn up. If anyone can confirm that Saints had someone there then I apologise.

And what makes you think that? 

It's certainly not the impression I've ever had that TW underestimates opponents. 

I have seen him scouting other opponents himself or sending Callum or Cleland. It's also been reported that he gives scouting roles to senior players like Liam Craig.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Cagey said:

a feeling that he thinks we just have to turn up. If anyone can confirm that Saints had someone there then I apologise.

During our cup winning season it was reported by Callum Davidson that we'd sent himself, and then a scout, to watch Forfar on multiple occasions before we played them. I don't think he under-estimates anyone, tbh.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, RandomGuy said:

During our cup winning season it was reported by Callum Davidson that we'd sent himself, and then a scout, to watch Forfar on multiple occasions before we played them. I don't think he under-estimates anyone, tbh.

one would think a minimum action. Did you send him personally ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think there are some good points on here.  Football is a job like no other! Take our home form for instance, if you were being served stale buns from a baker every week I doubt you would keep returning? Our home form has been ‘stale’ of late & ok some folk don’t keep returning every week but a good percentage do.

I feel we have been the victims of our own success in some ways, qualifying for Europe regularly hasn’t allowed our team to refresh at the end of the season & I think this has shown up on the park.

Personally I don’t think a wee trip to warmer climes is much to ask really, who knows it may just be what’s required... we are a team in profit and for what it would cost I doubt we would attract any decent players...

We have consistently punched above our weight on the budget the size of a pea, regularly hitting top 6... not to mention a wee cup...reward in the form of a training camp abroad doesn’t seem excessive to me! At the end of the day the undersoil heating has only been on once so far to my knowledge, so bound to have saved some casherooneys there ;-)

Some folk on here have a hard neck moaning about TW moaning  when they are just as bad and could certainly give him a run for his  money....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Wendy Saints said:

I think there are some good points on here.  Football is a job like no other! Take our home form for instance, if you were being served stale buns from a baker every week I doubt you would keep returning? Our home form has been ‘stale’ of late & ok some folk don’t keep returning every week but a good percentage do.

I feel we have been the victims of our own success in some ways, qualifying for Europe regularly hasn’t allowed our team to refresh at the end of the season & I think this has shown up on the park.

Personally I don’t think a wee trip to warmer climes is much to ask really, who knows it may just be what’s required... we are a team in profit and for what it would cost I doubt we would attract any decent players...

We have consistently punched above our weight on the budget the size of a pea, regularly hitting top 6... not to mention a wee cup...reward in the form of a training camp abroad doesn’t seem excessive to me! At the end of the day the undersoil heating has only been on once so far to my knowledge, so bound to have saved some casherooneys there ;-)

Some folk on here have a hard neck moaning about TW moaning  when they are just as bad and could certainly give him a run for his  money....

Would you send said Baker on a trip to warmer climates to try and make rolls better when he comes back?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think the Chairman would have even entertained this idea. The cost alone for the club would be prohibitive. Charter an aircraft to Spain, £25k upwards. Rooms in a decent hotel with training facilities for 30players and staff? Paying for all meals and travelling etc etc whilst there for bounce games? This I think would add up to well over £100K..... salaries for 2 decent players over the season?

I think I know what I'd be doing if I was chairman. The manager can bump his gums about penny pinching but I cant see justification for holidays like this, although i think TW is griping about money every way he can to try and prise some spondooleys out of that tight grip the Chairman has on the purse!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think what’s bugging me most about Tommy at the moment(his moaning aside)is that he seems reluctant to acknowledge how bad our home form has been and the fact that it desperately needs to be resolved!  If he even once said something like our home form is unacceptable or we need to work on our style of play at home or the Home fans are getting a raw deal, i’d Maybe feel a bit better.   Instead we get the same old guff about how we’re still doing well ‘relative’ to previous seasons.  I’m sorry but previous seasons have gone and I’m more interested in the here and now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, slambrother said:

he seems reluctant to acknowledge how bad our home form has been and the fact that it desperately needs to be resolved!  If he even once said something like our home form is unacceptable or we need to work on our style of play at home or the Home fans are getting a raw deal, i’d Maybe feel a bit better....

And how would that help?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, R.B.B:- Adz said:

So how is Tommy Wright not “doing his job right” ? 

Do you think it is good practice for professional athletes to turn up just over an hour before a match? Do you think it's right that they spend about 4 hours a day trying to perfect their profession? Do you think St Johnstone FC are a forward thinking club with a professional attitude?

Tommy has the chance to change things but has just plodded along as that's what most of Scottish football does. It's amateurish to the extreme and the only way to change it is to have balls.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this