Celtic v St Johnstone 18/02/18 3pm

tucker

10 hours ago, dave mc said:

I seen it as sticking up for what he called an excellent manager, and highlighting their lack of commitment in so called lesser games, thought it was the bigot bros that we’re paranoid 

It's not his place. TW has spent the past week on the media building the players confidence back up by backing them and defending them, and now a total outsider is randomly having a pop at them. That's not right, imagine the reaction if TW came out and questioned the Celtic players for not being able to up their game against us? 

12 minutes ago, RandomGuy said:

It's not his place. TW has spent the past week on the media building the players confidence back up by backing them and defending them, and now a total outsider is randomly having a pop at them. That's not right, imagine the reaction if TW came out and questioned the Celtic players for not being able to up their game against us? 

That's a fair point RG but hopefully the guys will take this as a back handed compliment from Rogers who clearly thinks they shouldn't be in the position they are in. 

Great point yesterday. Massive game next week now. Same desire as this game please. I think Rodgers point is fair because if we performed like that against other teams we would of had 3 points. Hopefully the players don't take the comments well and come out flying next week to prove a point

7 hours ago, 541ntees said:

Sportxecnes double act agree for the 1st time ever and that celtic should have had a pen . No way could ando get out of the way or turn his body without his elbow sticking out

Stick on pen but we were due a break especially given the pens they got against us.

On the subject,I see ref Steven McLean has helped out his dad's team by turning down two stonewalled against them.

42 minutes ago, Cagey said:

Stick on pen but we were due a break especially given the pens they got against us.

On the subject,I see ref Steven McLean has helped out his dad's team by turning down two stonewalled against them.

Steven McLeans decisions were incredible. he was 5 yards from it and trying his best to look the opposite way.

Watched the highlights again this morning and Spoony really is the epitome of mercurial. I have been one of his critics this season, his pace has always been questionable and he infuriates with trying the near to impossible but he relishes being in the middle of the park and he really is a game changer. Wish he had taken his chance because he deserves a break.

I honestly think as he get older he will be a great player ( hopefully with us) when he tailors his game to his physical capability. 

As Jocky Scott famously said, anything against the Old Firm is a bonus. This is very much still true for games against Celtic.

We played well and deserved a point and hopefully it will be the turning point in our season.

However, it's the games when we are expected to control the play, particular at home, against teams of lesser quality that will ultimately decide our fate in this league. It's not enough to play well in the big games. 

Rodger's comments were bang on the money. I don't really care if he over stepped the mark. Too many people are too easily offended these days.

Guest ScottMann

There's absolutely nothing wrong with what Rogers said especially as it's comments in the aftermath of a game against them. Maybe being called out so publically by a high profile figure might give them the proverbial kick up the backside needed for the 'bottom six' games ahead. 

20 hours ago, Center Half said:

apologies for upsetting you!  Kane, Gordon, Comrie, for a start might have been different.     

Can't believe that Gordon & Comrie were not even on the bench. I would think Brown must be pissed off spending hundred of thousands on development.

4 hours ago, RandomGuy said:

Agree it's not his place but I don't think it'll do us any harm. Having a high-profile external person taking a pop at the players should hopefully spur them on to prove him wrong. I'd have been a lot more concerned if Tommy had come out and said the same thing as I think that could potentially be quite damaging.

Let's face it though, it's not exactly a new scenario for Saints to be good against the top teams in the league but struggle against Partick, Ross County etc. We've been like that for the last few years - that's why the thought of being in the bottom six after the split worries me.

9 hours ago, RandomGuy said:

I agree with you. Whether Rodgers was right or not, if Tommy had come out and basically questioned the professionalism of Celtic players by saying they try hard in Europe but not against lesser opposition, there would have been a huge shitstorm from Celtic and in the media.

I'm really not that fussed what Rodgers says about us, but I think it's a bit arrogant to come out with something like that in a 'i can say what I want kind of way', when you know full well he wouldn't like it the other way round.

4 hours ago, blueheaven said:

Agree it's not his place but I don't think it'll do us any harm. Having a high-profile external person taking a pop at the players should hopefully spur them on to prove him wrong. I'd have been a lot more concerned if Tommy had come out and said the same thing as I think that could potentially be quite damaging.

Let's face it though, it's not exactly a new scenario for Saints to be good against the top teams in the league but struggle against Partick, Ross County etc. We've been like that for the last few years - that's why the thought of being in the bottom six after the split worries me.

The problem isn't what was said, necessarily, its the fact Rodgers seems to think its fair game to savage the commitment of an opposition team purely to deflect from his own shortcomings. Managers should have more dignity than to say anything close to what he said. 

Rodgers has done Tommy a massive favour doesn't need any team talk now till the end of season because every player will be desperate to prove him wrong,he is correct if saints played as well as the do in semi finals and against the bigger teams saints would be heading for the top, saints need to play at that intensity all the time

25 minutes ago, RandomGuy said:

The problem isn't what was said, necessarily, its the fact Rodgers seems to think its fair game to savage the commitment of an opposition team purely to deflect from his own shortcomings. Managers should have more dignity than to say anything close to what he said. 

Has TW said anything about this? NO not as far as I see which would suggest he has no issue with it and may actually agree,.

One thing the result does prove is that Saints gt the best results away from home when they do not have to force the game,

Guest ScottMann

The only annoying thing about what Rogers said is that if our new signings do start to pick us up now the media will ignore them and put it all down to what the Brendan's magnificent words.

Rogers may well have a point but there again surely the same applies to his team ( in reverse ?) There is no point septic winning against Zenit etc if they can’t beat killie saints etc. At the end of the day we don’t get more points in games against  Celtic.

Edited by ejksjfc

41 minutes ago, ScottMann said:

The only annoying thing about what Rogers said is that if our new signings do start to pick us up now the media will ignore them and put it all down to what the Brendan's magnificent words.

Nah! why worry they ignore us anyway. Who cares as long as we pick up.

Edited by Indicator

Was much better yesterday. Defence was better, ando played better alongside Kerr. Foster had a decent game. Even joe did alright but worried long term with him at right back. 

As said We are better away from home when we don’t have to try and break teams down. 

Macca was the weakest link yesterday, and if foster hadn’t got injured would have hoped macca would have been subbed, as their defence was there to be got at. 

13 hours ago, RandomGuy said:

Exactly...how very fffffing dare he... he seems to have an opinion on everything... who decided he was ‘king’.... we as a diddy team get nowt!  At best he was patronising to be honest I thought he acted like a spoilt child who is used to getting his own way all the time. Let’s be brutal, they are bigger, better, have more money and should have hammmered us! We had the temerity to stand up to them, ok probably rode our luck but what a result for a team with a budget the size of a pea.. I have lost count of penalties we have been denied & waited on Sportscene to confirm only to find it’s not even up for discussion... it is only Saints after all! We have proved it is no flash in the pan!

If the man with the tan was that great a manager he wouldn’t have let it happen once never mind twice!! COYS 

13 minutes ago, Wendy Saints said:

Exactly...how very fffffing dare he... he seems to have an opinion on everything... who decided he was ‘king’.... we as a diddy team get nowt!  At best he was patronising to be honest I thought he acted like a spoilt child who is used to getting his own way all the time. Let’s be brutal, they are bigger, better, have more money and should have hammmered us! We had the temerity to stand up to them, ok probably rode our luck but what a result for a team with a budget the size of a pea.. I have lost count of penalties we have been denied & waited on Sportscene to confirm only to find it’s not even up for discussion... it is only Saints after all! We have proved it is no flash in the pan!

If the man with the tan was that great a manager he wouldn’t have let it happen once never mind twice!! COYS 

He was shit at Liverpool .